Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed ATF, transfer case and rear differential fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changed ATF, transfer case and rear differential fluid

2004 3.0 Auto 85xxx miles

This is my first car and I just got my driver license this April. So since I can do this, you can do it too.

ATF--Drain and refill for 4 times
Fluid. Castrol import multi-vehicle ATF from Advance Auto Parts.
Tools. See picture.

Comparison of 2nd, 3rd, 4th drain fluid, mixture of 2nd and new fluid with the ratio of about 4:1 and new fluid.

Reverse angle--note the transmittance.

Another photo--from left to right: 2nd, 3rd and new fluid.

After 4 drain and fill, looks like the fluid is slightly worse than the mixture of 2nd and new fluid with the ratio of about 4:1. So I guess 70% of ATF gets replaced. You can also do simple math to calculate the percentage of new fluid.

Interesting thing is I get out different amount of ATF. Around 2.5 quarts for 1st, 3rd and 4th drain. 3.25 quarts for 2nd drain.

Transfer case and rear differential

Tools

I tried several tools and combination and here is the best choice for both transfer case and rear differential. One 1/4 ratchet and one 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. As to pumping old fluid out of rear differential, use this pump. It works perfectly. Just insert the pipe below to the drain hole and press the pump. This is what I got. I was wondering what burn smell or stinky smell is. Now I find answer.

Fluid. Royal purple 75W-140 gear oil for both. It is expensive, 19.99 for one quart bottle from Advance Auto Part before tax. You need 2 bottles.

It is easy to find drain plugs for TC and rear differential once you get under the car. There is plenty of information in this forum regarding how to do the change. Just search and you will be glad to see what you find.

I thought the whining noise at 40 to 50 mph would go away after changing all fluid but I was wrong. Also tried to grease propshaft center bearing with a syringe and needle. No luck. Just can not find right please to insert the needle. I can live with the noise if it is just noise rather than a sign of big problem.

More photos

The following 2 users liked this post by yeeran:
Cadillac (12-05-2011), lovemycar1 (12-15-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

yeeran,
Nice write up. I've been wanting to do this myself. Perhaps this will inspire me to just do it.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job! Thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you address the process of filling the transfer case? How hard was that?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Can you address the process of filling the transfer case? How hard was that?
When I got the drain plug off, nothing came out which probably means there is no fluid there at all. So I used a funnel with a long plastic tube to fill new gear oil till it came out. Then I drove several miles and did the filling again. You can not fill the right amount of gear oil this way since the drain hole is in the middle of transfer case, not on the top like rear differential. So many other people used a fitting or valve at the end of the tube to screw in the drain hole and let gravity drives fluid into TC. I guess this is the best way. However I did not find the suitable fitting so I will try to find one and do it again soon.

If you see old fluid out of drain hole, congratulations! It is not empty like mine. As I said above, the drain hole is in the middle of TC so you need to drain out of all the fluid before filling if you do not want to drain and refill for several times. Some people lift up right side of the car when drain and lift up left side when fill. I think an alternate is that you use the pump from Amazon (you can also find the same on at AAP) to drain as I did for rear differential. Honestly I did not do this to TC but I think it should work as the mechanism is the same. And when filling you can also use this pump but the most important thing is to find the right fitting.

BTW, just use the 1/4 ratchet (Stanley from Walmart) and 1/4 to 3/8 adapter (from AAP). It takes me a long time to find out the best choice.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Inky7 (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im curious about this? My transmission is a sealed transmission, and I was told there is a special way to add fluid, something about bringing the temp up to a specific spot, then putting fluid in the bottom. Is this all true, or is it cut and dry?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my transfer case I was pleased that gear oil flowed out and it was somewhat clear..... did it again over the week end and noticed a number in a paint marker on the TC.... Probably was replaced by a previous owner and got a reconditioned/repurposed put in.

Did the diff and the fluid was low and nasty.... flushed it twice now and have my fingers crossed.

good luck and keep doing fluid changes.... lubricants are much cheaper than the parts they lubricate....

Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by mralston69
Im curious about this? My transmission is a sealed transmission, and I was told there is a special way to add fluid, something about bringing the temp up to a specific spot, then putting fluid in the bottom. Is this all true, or is it cut and dry?
You are probably talking about this. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ure-faq-43649/

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good job, thanks for your taking time and submitting this topic