X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking and Vibration in X-Type I Test Drove

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clunking and Vibration in X-Type I Test Drove

Hi again everyone, I earlier posted about an X-Type I am considering. The dealership accepted my offer and the agreement that I will not purchase the vehicle unless they fix the clunking/vibration I feel. I wanted to reach out to everyone on here to get some input advice.

When the rear suspension hits a single bump--pot hole, man hole cover, slight curb pulling out of a driveway, etc.--there is a solid clunking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. From what I've read on here, this could be caused by swaybar bushings, suspension bushings or subframe bushings. Are there are possible culprits I should have their mechanic look out for? The showed me what was done to the vehicle before listing it for sale, and I see that "rear swaybar bushings replaced" is listed on the work order. I also see the "rear stabilizer link" listed under parts. What else could be causing this rear end clunk?

On the highway above 50-60 mph I can feel a slight vibration in the cabin. It's not horrid, but it's noticeable. I thought maybe the wheels needed to be rebalanced, but I see that four new tires were installed and wheels were balanced. What should I have the mechanic check in the front? Could it be strutmounts or bushings causing the issue?

I do really want to purchase the vehicle, but I will obviously not take it if these issues aren't resolved. I appreciate any advice you X-Type experts can offer me. I will be going back to the dealership (it's a Subaru dealer that has the car) tomorrow to go for a ride-along with their mechanic.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd look closely at the lower front control arms on the rear suspension, the rubber mount on the drive-shaft center bearing, all the sway bar bushings and end links, and the rubber mount that bolts to the transfer case and frame of the car as it takes most of the forwards/backwards rocking loads every time you step on the gas. I think its called the gearbox mount or roll restrictor.

All of these wear pretty quickly and can cause lots of noises/vibrations.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Well I got good news and bad news from the dealer.

Good news: they were able to fix the wobble/vibrations. Turns out the original tech didn't properly balance one of the wheels.

Bad news: four techs hear the clunk, but not a singe tech can pinpoint the source. The salesman told me they've "disconnected and re-tightened everything" to not avail. He said they'll keep trying to track it down.

Now I'm getting a little nervous. I really like this car and don't want to have to walk away from it.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 AM

Another update from the selling dealer.

The tech finally took apart the "entire rear end" and found a "cracked bushing with a little play." They've ordered the bushing for that side and the other and will replace both. When I asked the salesman if it was the subframe bushings, he was unsure (not surprising).

I've got my fingers crossed that they did truly fix the highway vibration issue and that this new bushing is the solution to the clunking. I've been a little overanxious and am already planning some work for the X-Type .