X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights

Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights

Wondering if there was a way to run automatic daytime running lights. Doesn't seem like there's a good place to install any of those LED bar type running lights. Figured maybe someone came up with a way to convert the parking lights to running lights or something. I just want some running lights because I think they are safer and they look cool but it's not that big of a deal, I turn on the headlights sometimes when it's overcast or early in the morning. Just wish there was a way to have DRL's automatically turn on when the car's on. I think there might be a way to run a fuse from the fuse box to power on when the car's running but not sure how complicated that is a on a Jaguar.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 02-03-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Something like this?

DRL Relay DRL Module Daylight Running Lights Best Product on Market | eBay

They do make them, some are good just for LEDs and others for halogens as well...I have though about it too for my fog lights as DRLs since I pretty much never use them

Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Yes thank you. That is what I would need. Seems a little bit complicated with all the wiring but I guess if I really wanted them it's possible. Maybe a project for a rainy day. Also found this one with longer wires:

USA Made Truck Lite 97308 Heavy Duty Daytime Running Lights DRL Module Universal | eBay

Last edited by 04xtype04; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Yes thank you. That is what I would need. Seems a little bit complicated with all the wiring but I guess if I really wanted them it's possible. Maybe a project for a rainy day. Also found this one with longer wires:

USA Made Truck Lite 97308 Heavy Duty Daytime Running Lights DRL Module Universal | eBay
Exactly. Its not too complicated if you think about it. Its just a giant relay that senses input from your headlights or running lights and kills power to the DRLs. So one set goes to your battery, the other to your headlights or running lights and then when you switch on your headlights or running lights it kills power to your chosen DRLs...not too bad but yes wiring is definitely involved.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Up here in Canada daytime running lights are mandatory for vehicles imported under 15 years of age. All Jaguars in the US have this feature it just has to be turned on. The Jaguar dealer in Maryland switched mine on for free.

The following users liked this post:
X2004 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fulton
Up here in Canada daytime running lights are mandatory for vehicles imported under 15 years of age. All Jaguars in the US have this feature it just has to be turned on. The Jaguar dealer in Maryland switched mine on for free.
:looking for emoticon for worthless without instructions:

Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bracester
:looking for emoticon for worthless without instructions:

Well ok, if you insist.

1. Get in Car
2. Drive to Jaguar Dealer
3. Ask them to put your car on the computer and turn on the daytime running light option

The following users liked this post:
bracester (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

04xtype04, keep in mind that there are 4 different headlight switches for the X-Type. They all control the headlights different ways. How do you want the headlights to respond? What I mean by this is that the American (non-DRL) act just like you are used to in that they only turn on the low beams when in the ON position. Where you have the Canadian switch which has the low beams on all the time regardless of the headlight switch position. Then you have the Scandinavian version which allows the low beams to be on with the headlight switch in the OFF position and ON position, but goes to only running lights in the PARK position (this is needed for some people that enter through guard houses and are required to dim their headlights, especially true of military bases). It seems to me that there is another switch which is like the Canadian switch, but it also turns on all the running lights too. So, what are you after?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Well ok, if you insist.

1. Get in Car
2. Drive to Jaguar Dealer
3. Ask them to put your car on the computer and turn on the daytime running light option
Now I didnt see that coming lol

Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad you took in the jest as it was intended. If you have several dealers to choose from call around. The Dealer in Halifax NS. wanted $250 just to hook up to the computer but the dealer in Annapolis MD did it for free.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM

I'm glad you took in the jest as it was intended. If you have several dealers to choose from call around. The Dealer in Halifax NS. wanted $250 just to hook up to the computer but the dealer in Annapolis MD did it for free.
Oh ya all in good fun my friend. I didn't realize that it could be enabled rather than aftermarket....im not one for DRLs anyway

Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 PM

What most cars with DRL's have around here are the high beams run at 30% power during the day, then when you flip on the headlights at night, the low beams turn on and the high beams turn off and go back to being normal high beam lights. I would probably just do this, although I was hoping for an LED route. Not sure if you can use LED bulbs in the high beams with reduced power as DRLs. Also the problem is LED's aren't bright enough to function as real high beams if I ever needed them. I guess I would probably want my parking lights in the high beams to be my DRL's and just run some bright LED bulbs in it. I'm am ok at wiring, took an electronics class before and have a soldering iron, just not too familiar with the wiring on the x-type.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
What most cars with DRL's have around here are the high beams run at 30% power during the day, then when you flip on the headlights at night, the low beams turn on and the high beams turn off and go back to being normal high beam lights. I would probably just do this, although I was hoping for an LED route. Not sure if you can use LED bulbs in the high beams with reduced power as DRLs. Also the problem is LED's aren't bright enough to function as real high beams if I ever needed them. I guess I would probably want my parking lights in the high beams to be my DRL's and just run some bright LED bulbs in it. I'm am ok at wiring, took an electronics class before and have a soldering iron, just not too familiar with the wiring on the x-type.
If you are looking for bright LEDs for the parking lights I just got some of amazon that are extremely well made.

Amazon.com: AGT 10x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: AGT 10x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

These are the highest quality ones I have seen and used and inexpensive

Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM

Alright cool. I have similar ones like that on the way, can't comment on the quality of them yet but they are the 5-smd 5050 bulbs. I got like 10 for $5 so I decided to do it. Was looking at the 9-smd bulbs but I think a pair of those ran $5 so I decided I would try out the 5-smd bulbs first since the side markers and license plate also use that size bulb. We'll see how they turn out. I'm also waiting on some bulbs for the brake lights, just ordered those a couple days ago but they should be sick. Probably want to do the rear blinkers too in a bright yellow next just cuz I like LED lights.