Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ever wonder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Do you ever wonder?

You read a thread where someone has a really interesting problem or issue or project. You read it and it's one of those initially fast moving threads and then you can tell the person has gathered up their information they needed and is ready to move ahead on whatever it is.

The thread goes dead.

Do you ever wonder what ever happened?

I replied to a thread where the guy was looking at getting an X-Type, the S button wasn't working. I wondered andf posted if it was the bulb or the switch. Someone with no experience with a Jag and where the non S mode shifts, how would they know right?

Nothing...crickets, I don't even know if he bought it.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He probably didn't buy it; he probably just walked away from it and didn't give it another thought. Maybe he bought a Toyota.

*snickers*

Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, why we are on the subject, and you have a Newb (me) listening...

Can you explain that the "S" button does... Ive read it hold the RPMs longer for a better sporty acceleration?!?!?

BTW - I have my Jag for 2 days and I'm loving it...

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mayor, you have the right idea. The "S" button is for the sport mode (don't confuse it with the sport model). Like you mention, it causes the car to shift at higher RPMs, keeping the car more of the time in its power band. Granted, it is a sliding scale. For example, if the shift point is raised by 1,000 RPM under full throttle, when you are only into the throttle part way, it will only raise it by say 300 RPM. Is that a significant difference? Not really. Does it help, some say yes, some say no. I say do as you think is better. Try it both ways. But, most admit that for daily driving, the difference is not noticeable.

But, keep in mind that by making the motor generate more power, you are stressing the transfer case that much more. Daily moderate driving with the S button on I don't think will affect the transfer case. But, if you like to use the power, stand by.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, Thermo!

I noticed that you seem to stress the weak transfer case. So, being new to a Jaguar with an '07 X-Type, how weak is the transfer case? What should I avoid driving the car around the DC Beltway and I-270 in Montgomery County, MD?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

exrub, I'm south of you (hour south of DC). As for how to treat the car to get the most out of the transfer case, the concept is very simple. DRIVE SANELY. I know that is hard to do in DC traffic, but don't be flooring the car from every stop light or flooring it to pass a car. You drive with the flow of the traffic and you will be fine. I am up at 115K miles on my car and still on the original transfer case. But, you use the car like a "sports car", you can plan on replacing the transfer case every 30K miles or so.

So, it isn't so much where you drive, but more how you drive. If you start bouncing the RPM needle off of the redline, hint, you are stressing the transfer case. Will it fail the first time. NO!!! Second time. NO!!!!! the 100th time, probably not. But, all this stress adds up over time. You need to get up to speed by flooring it, don't fret over using the power the car has. But, make it the exception, not the norm.

If you ever need any help, don't be afraid to ask. I'm always working on cars. Got a member from up near you that is coming down next weekend so we can install drop springs on his car. Should be a lot of fun.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

This is a pretty dead forum compared to many other forums in general. There are about 10 guys who post regularly, so it isn't uncommon that questions got unanswered.

I do kind of like it though. When I had VWs, I would post something in vwvortex and it would be on page 3 in about an hour sometimes. When I was doing Volvo's, a post would make page 3 in three days. Here it might take 3 months to get to page 3.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
This is a pretty dead forum compared to many other forums in general. There are about 10 guys who post regularly, so it isn't uncommon that questions got unanswered.

I do kind of like it though. When I had VWs, I would post something in vwvortex and it would be on page 3 in about an hour sometimes. When I was doing Volvo's, a post would make page 3 in three days. Here it might take 3 months to get to page 3.
Tell me about it, my last car was a Z3 with a ton of mods, I was on the BMW forums and you'd hit submit and they'd reply so fast you had to refresh 2-3 times a minute.

Before that I lifted a Jeep, those guys are insane. If you didn't follow the exact plan you'd be ridiculed off the site.

I just noticed as I post this I rattling around in here by myself! Mind you I can go a few days between seeing an X-Type. Even longer for any of the newer models, good thing they charge 100K for them because they're not flying out the doors.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
exrub, I'm south of you (hour south of DC). As for how to treat the car to get the most out of the transfer case, the concept is very simple. DRIVE SANELY. I know that is hard to do in DC traffic, but don't be flooring the car from every stop light or flooring it to pass a car. You drive with the flow of the traffic and you will be fine. I am up at 115K miles on my car and still on the original transfer case. But, you use the car like a "sports car", you can plan on replacing the transfer case every 30K miles or so.

So, it isn't so much where you drive, but more how you drive. If you start bouncing the RPM needle off of the redline, hint, you are stressing the transfer case. Will it fail the first time. NO!!! Second time. NO!!!!! the 100th time, probably not. But, all this stress adds up over time. You need to get up to speed by flooring it, don't fret over using the power the car has. But, make it the exception, not the norm.

If you ever need any help, don't be afraid to ask. I'm always working on cars. Got a member from up near you that is coming down next weekend so we can install drop springs on his car. Should be a lot of fun.

Yeah; sometimes it's very hard to drive sanely around here. Normally, I don't gun it so hopefully it'll last a while.

I'll have to keep you in mind if I need to have things done to mine.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, I asked that question. Yeah, I bought it but I still haven't had time to test out if it's working or not.