X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don"t Leave Moonroof open when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool Don"t Leave Moonroof open when it rains

Yep, I did. It was so hot on Wednesday, I tilted the rear of the moonroof up so some of the heat would rise out of the car. I kept the panel closed however. I left it opened Wednesday night. When I went to bed It started to lighting and thunder, heat lighting as they call it here. But around 2am my son told me it started to rain. Funny thing was, when I was in bed I was trying to thing of something I forgot to do, guess what the moonroof. Yesterday morning I open the door to get the paper and there is my car soak and wet and the rear of the moonroof tilted up. I took a towel out with me expecting the worse, but only the railing under the roof was slightly wet, no rain got into the car. Yesterday I kept it closed as we had some horrendous T storms come thru the area, rivers of water coming down the street. but this morning instead of being 75 degrees F it was 60 degrees F and it is only supposed to hit 75 degrees F today, better then the 95 on Wednesday and 90 yesterday.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've done it twice!

First time a victim of a sudden and unexpected rain shower and second driving through a car wash with the sun roof tilted but the inside cover closed....the water came gushing down onto my lap.

Survived both with no damage that cost $ to fix.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm also a victim too.. i left my sunroof completely open when we received torrential down pore.... totally forgot that it was open. woke up the next morning abount 9:00 am went to get the paper.. and damn.. the roof was open.. started the car and BANG.. the gearbox fault light came on... the shifter had got wet and was throwing a code that the position sensor was off.. but i was able to clear it using the reader.... now i make SURE i close it no matter what...

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need a garage...

Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bus Driver
You need a garage...
and a rain coat, apparently.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

It would be quite annoying if your cars still get a water w/ the sunroof fully closed

If you someday buy a convertible do not leave it open it could worse in same conditions

Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 AM

The only damage was a water stain on the edge left side of the moonroof "door." I used some Griot's interior cleaner and it got the stain out but also pulled down some of the cover of the "door". When it dryed I got some glue and a stir stick I collect from Starbuck's and got some glue below the material let is set for a couple of minutes and push in in place, tucked the ends in and so, so good, the fix is holding.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My questions is why do you all call it a moonroof?

I'm from the UK and we call it a sunroof. After all, you open it to get access to the sun.

Strange. Oh, my question is serious.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dalecan

I'm from the UK and we call it a sunroof. After all, you open it to get access to the sun.

I found this on the net, I have been meaning to research this before:
"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.
Hmmm, so all moonroofs are sunroofs, yet not all sunroofs are moonroofs? We found further clarification -- "sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).
True sunroofs, those made just of metal, appear to have gone the way of 8-tracks in automobiles, and these days, most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" -- panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes after all these years of cars and owning a few convertibles and many sunroof or moonroof cars. This was the first time I did this. Live and learn.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Wednesday night T-storms were nasty ones! Ended up hitting Providence hard... trees and lines down everywhere!
(I work for the power Co.) At least it wasn't another tornado!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Smile Moomroof/sunroof

Originally Posted by dalecan

Here in the colonies a sunroof is a solid piece of metal that opens to let in the sun. A moonroof is always transparent glass, plastic, and always lets in the sun unless you close the cover. Sunroofs have no pull cover either, but that should be obvious. When these see thru roofs first came out they were called moonroof's to make them different from a sunroof. Today the terms are used interchangeable. But I am very, very old and like to stick to the old ways.