X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove through puddle Misfire on 1,3,5

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drove through puddle Misfire on 1,3,5

Hey all today driving to work he had very heavy rain and one of the streets was slightly flooded. Driving through water must have splashed up into the engine and now I am getting misfires on cylinders 1,3,5. This happened about a month ago, but only misfired on cylinder 5. Last time I just drove it and eventually it dried out and cleared up. I tried the same this time, but the top of the engine is not even getting warm. It is an 05 Xtype 3.0.

I have had to replace a coil on this once before so if I need to do this I can. Do you think it could be something else in the wiring? When I get home I'm gonna park it in the garage and put a fan on it. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

You are at step one. Hope it dries out ok!

Old 08-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

jmotsch, you are on the right track. Granted, it may be severe enough that you will need to pull the intake and then the coils to get all the water out. I would then also look into possibly putting new coils on the car not so much that you truely need them but more to get better rubber in there to make a better seal to prevent future water from getting in.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Was the misfire to the point where the check engine light was flashing or just enough to cause the check engine light to come on and the car seems to be driving normally? If it is the former, don't drive it until you get it sorted out. If it is the latter, maybe it was an instantaneous event and you just need to wait until you meet the needed amount of driving cycles for the light to go out.

What codes are you getting? If you clear the codes do the same ones come right back?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Was the misfire to the point where the check engine light was flashing or just enough to cause the check engine light to come on and the car seems to be driving normally? If it is the former, don't drive it until you get it sorted out. If it is the latter, maybe it was an instantaneous event and you just need to wait until you meet the needed amount of driving cycles for the light to go out.

What codes are you getting? If you clear the codes do the same ones come right back?
I dont have a great feeling. I get a flashing check engine and i am in limp mode. It runs really rough. I can smell the fuel not getting burned off. 135 cylinders are misfiring. Ill have to check the codes again. Tried dying it out for a while with no change. I will have to take the intake off. Do you think i fried the coils? Should i just plan to replace them? Can I test them by swapping a coil with a cylinder that is not misfiring?

Last edited by jmotsch; 08-02-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

jmotsch, the question comes down to how many times do you want to remove the intake. While it may be a bit more expensive to get new coils at this point, you can install new coils and spark plugs and hopefully only have to do the job once. If you try and dry things out to see if that helps, then replace a coil, then end up replacing a second one later, to then...... you can see where a lot of time will be spent pulling things apart and putting them back together.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I'm not familiar with the X-Type so this suggestion may be way off the mark but ......

....... the only time I've gone through flood water in a Jaguar was in an X300. Similar symptoms to yours and it turned out to be water in the HO2S harness connectors.

Graham

Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Flashing MIL means misfires so terrible they're damaging the cat(s) so get it fixed ASAP.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Flashing MIL means misfires so terrible they're damaging the cat(s) so get it fixed ASAP.
I wont be driving until it is fixed. Did i do much damage driving about 30 minutes home from work? Im going to just replace the coils. I did the plugs about a year ago but i guess i should replace those while i am in there.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Examine the cats if you want to know.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Default FIXED

Alright gang. I spent the afternoon taking the intake off. The spark plug wells were litterally full of water. I had to use a syringe to suck out most of it. I then use my air compressor to blow out the rest. For good measure i blew a hair dryer in there for a minute too. Changed all the plugs. Put on new coils, ensuring they have a better seal so not to let water in again. Put it back together. Started and idled a little rough but smoothed out quickly. I cleared the codes and it is running better than ever.
Thanks for the support all.