X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine issue 2005 x type 2.0d

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issue 2005 x type 2.0d

• Hi all. I have an issue with my 2005 x type 2.0d. It started in December with the glow plug light flashing, then the EML came on and the car cut out while accelerating on the motorway. I pulled over and restarted the car and it seemed fine, until 10 miles later it did it again and has continued to do so, getting more frequent as time has gone on. I have read the fault codes and the car stores the codes - P1211 - injector contol pressure above/below desired and P0251 - injector pump fuel metering malfunction. I have fitted a new fuel pump metering valve, new fuel filter ( the fuel in the filter was clean, no swarf ) but still had the issue. I had the injectors tested and these were found to be unserviceable. So i manged to get hold of some second hand injectors, fitted and coded them and started the car up. ( these are Delphi ones, previous and old ones were lucas). The car now idles much smoother with the new injectors fitted ( it was running lumpy on idle with the old injectors) however, its now just as bad and im fresh out of ideas other than the injector pump its self. Obviously this will scrap the car and im too far into it to start throwing more money at it. The car now smokes badly ( black smoke ) if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance, Ben.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Look up in search "flashing glow light" then do the "Mr. Muscle" fix.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a quick and easy solution that might work for you.
Try disconnecting the egr valve clip so it isn't receiving power anymore or blank it off with a blanking plate.
I did this when i had loads of black smoke out the back and the car with kinda cough and jutter for 1 or 2 seconds and the puff... loads of smoke and the car would drive again , this will get worse and worse until the egr valve fails .
, if you keep your car at a steady speed does it jutter forward and backward like a shaky feeling?

I brought it to the garage and they said injectors..
I barely got the car home and the next day I took out and dismantled all the injectors and cleaned them and put them back and it didn't fix the problem,

I then bought a blanking plate and put it by the egr valve and no more black smoke and nice smooth driving

Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blanking plate

You could buy one on ebay or maybe amazon too for around 3-5 euro/pound.

Or you could make one if you had some metal at home and the tools

Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Look up in search "flashing glow light" then do the "Mr. Muscle" fix.
Thanks Dell, just had a goole on this fix. Will give it a try at the weekend.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Luke Farrell
I have a quick and easy solution that might work for you.
Try disconnecting the egr valve clip so it isn't receiving power anymore or blank it off with a blanking plate.
I did this when i had loads of black smoke out the back and the car with kinda cough and jutter for 1 or 2 seconds and the puff... loads of smoke and the car would drive again , this will get worse and worse until the egr valve fails .

, if you keep your car at a steady speed does it jutter forward and backward like a shaky feeling?

I brought it to the garage and they said injectors..
I barely got the car home and the next day I took out and dismantled all the injectors and cleaned them and put them back and it didn't fix the problem,

I then bought a blanking plate and put it by the egr valve and no more black smoke and nice smooth driving
Hi Luke

Yes, it does jutter back and forwards at about 1700 / 2000 rpm. Will try and disconnect it, see what happens.
I was thinking the egr, the lack of codes stored ref the egr has swayed me away from it however.

Is it normal not to have anything stored?

Thanks, Ben