X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light On!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light On!

We just purchased this 2002 X-Type Jaguar from a private owner. Engine light came on and we had it read. The following codes came up. My question for you experienced Jaguar owners is "are these major issues or simple fixes?" (air filter, etc.)

P1111
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

P1316
Injector Circuit/IDM Codes Detected

P0303
Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

I'm not a mechanical guy so i hope these are minor problems. We were told by a few people that we shouldn't by a Jaguar because they have a lot of wiring issues! Hope we weren't wrong to do so anyway.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello and congrats on your Jaguar purchase.

The P1111 code is described as a readiness code. I would not worry about that one. If all diagnostic self tests ran without failure it will generate a P1111.

The p1316 is a dignostic monitor code indicatiing that thers is a misfire and excessive emissions are likely. The code will only set when there is an accompanied by a cylinder specific code. You have a P0303 stored. If the engine has a severe misfire you can damage the catalytic converter if enough raw fuel is passed throught the cat causing it to overheat.

P0303 means cylinder three has misfired enough times to set a fault code. The cause for this can vary from a simple spark plug or coil problem all the way to a compression problem. The most likely is the ignition coil for # 3 . You should inpect the plug and coil and replace if needed. It can get expensive but if they're original, I would replace them all. A compression test while it's apart would be a good idea.

Does it run rough?

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light is Still On!

Originally Posted by jchavez76
Hello and congrats on your Jaguar purchase.

The P1111 code is described as a readiness code. I would not worry about that one. If all diagnostic self tests ran without failure it will generate a P1111.

The p1316 is a dignostic monitor code indicatiing that thers is a misfire and excessive emissions are likely. The code will only set when there is an accompanied by a cylinder specific code. You have a P0303 stored. If the engine has a severe misfire you can damage the catalytic converter if enough raw fuel is passed throught the cat causing it to overheat.

P0303 means cylinder three has misfired enough times to set a fault code. The cause for this can vary from a simple spark plug or coil problem all the way to a compression problem. The most likely is the ignition coil for # 3 . You should inpect the plug and coil and replace if needed. It can get expensive but if they're original, I would replace them all. A compression test while it's apart would be a good idea.

Does it run rough?

Good luck.
No it doesn't run rough at all. Very smooth. Yesterday my son called, he is driving it, to say the engine was overheating.... it was very low on coolant! Could this be the cause for the codes. I filled it and it seems to be fine now. But, what caused the coolant to get low I wonder...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow..... Yes. An over heat can cause a misfire among other things. An overheat can cause expensive damage. I think you should find a mechanic you trust and get a good evaluation of the whole car. A diagnosis and maintenance/safety inspection is a good idea. As you know, coolant is not the only fluid that keeps your Jag alive. It could save you thousands if you catch small problems early.

If you want help fixing the car yourself, you can get it here. There is a lot to learn. Lots of very knowlegdeable people here to give good advice.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Miller
We just purchased this 2002 X-Type Jaguar from a private owner. Engine light came on and we had it read. The following codes came up. My question for you experienced Jaguar owners is "are these major issues or simple fixes?" ...........................
Welcome to the forum Jag Miller,

(I've moved your question from General Tech Help section to X-Type section. This is the place to post tech questions about your vehicle.)

I see you're already getting good advice from jchavez76. You'll find plenty more here to help you keep your X-Type running sweetly.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post an into about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jag MIller, I would keep an eye on the coolant level. I would also recommend getting a compression check done of the motor. From what you are describing, you may have a bad head gasket which is allowing water into the cylinder, leading to your misfire issue. Granted, it may be just coincidence too. So, like was said, take the car to a mechanic that you trust, explain to him what you are seeing and then see what he says and you may want to ask that he does a compression check. Now, this may cost you say $200 to have done, but it will be money well spent as this will (dis)prove a head gasket issue. Can potentially save you a lot of money from having a head gasket replaced needlessly.