X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

False 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts

Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default False 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts

Its a couple of years since I bought My x type estate, first registered 2010, one of the last ones to be made. 2.2 Diesel Estate

This is by no means scientific but it is my experience.

Anyway I started getting plagued by 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts. I changed the DPF for an aftermarket one but I was still getting 'DPF full' alerts.

Eventually I had a problem where the car fired up but immediately died which turned out to be the EGR valve which was stuck open.

So after stripping out the EGR and cleaning and refitting it, the 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts stopped. At least for a few thousand miles until they started again. So I bought ODB readers to see if there was a fault showing up. I tried three ODB readers, the only one which would read my car was 'iCarsoft'. So every time 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts came up I looked on the reader for a fault, and guess what ? every time it showed up as a minor EGR fault, but it wasn't serious enough to bring up the dreaded check engine light.

So My conclusion is that the car cannot show 'minor EGR fault' so instead it chooses either the 'gearbox fault' or 'DPF full' alert.

Eventually I blanked off the EGR and fitted an EGR emulator which I found on eBay. Since then i have done quite a few thousand miles with no 'gearbox fault' or 'DPF full' alerts.

The EGR emulator makes the computer think the EGR is working perfectly whereas it is completely disabled, and takes half an hour to fit.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dpf full and gearbox fault

Thanks for your post on this, after you cleaned the Egr, did it take a while for the message to disappear?

And was your car stuck in 3rf gear due to the gearbox fault??

I cleaned my Egr valve based on your successive results but nothing has happened yet.

Regards
Pieter

Originally Posted by harryxtype View Post
Its a couple of years since I bought My x type estate, first registered 2010, one of the last ones to be made. 2.2 Diesel Estate

This is by no means scientific but it is my experience.

Anyway I started getting plagued by 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts. I changed the DPF for an aftermarket one but I was still getting 'DPF full' alerts.

Eventually I had a problem where the car fired up but immediately died which turned out to be the EGR valve which was stuck open.

So after stripping out the EGR and cleaning and refitting it, the 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts stopped. At least for a few thousand miles until they started again. So I bought ODB readers to see if there was a fault showing up. I tried three ODB readers, the only one which would read my car was 'iCarsoft'. So every time 'gearbox fault' and 'DPF full' alerts came up I looked on the reader for a fault, and guess what ? every time it showed up as a minor EGR fault, but it wasn't serious enough to bring up the dreaded check engine light.

So My conclusion is that the car cannot show 'minor EGR fault' so instead it chooses either the 'gearbox fault' or 'DPF full' alert.

Eventually I blanked off the EGR and fitted an EGR emulator which I found on eBay. Since then i have done quite a few thousand miles with no 'gearbox fault' or 'DPF full' alerts.

The EGR emulator makes the computer think the EGR is working perfectly whereas it is completely disabled, and takes half an hour to fit.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 AM

Hi Pieter

Before Cleaning the EGR, the Gearbox fault message would disappear after every time i stopped the engine and restarted, and yes the gearbox did seem to get stuck in a gear, but the DPF message stayed on. But after cleaning out the EGR valve both messages disappeared for a while.

So get yourself an ODB reader off eBay, then you can clear the faults immediately. (the one which worked for me was the iCarsoft which i bought off eBay)

But after fitting the EGR emulator, also off eBay, all fault messages disappeared and I have not had a 'gearbox fault' or 'DPF full' message for a few thousand miles.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Default #harryxtype thanks for the reply on my message. Kind regards here from South Africa!

#harryxtype thanks for the reply. I will order the part asap. I am considering to remove the Cat and Dpf with reprogramming together with blanking. It's just a real newsance with these things.
I really appreciate your feedback.

Regards from South Africa
P. Foley

Old 06-01-2019, 12:26 PM

harryxtype which emulator you applied ? I looked in ebay but haven't found one. I blanker EGR (2.2. D 2007) but now I want to eliminate EML engine error.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 AM

It is an EGR emulator for Jaguar x type,

Ebay item no,172986248307 (on eBay.uk)

If you just blank off the EGR, the computer will know about it and give you an error code. So you have to blank it off and either remap the car, or put in an emulator to make the computer think that the EGR is still working as normal. (the emulator is something you can do yourself)

Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Default Dpf full and gearbox fault - don't replace it yet

This stuff really works in loosening everything in there.

The yellow stuff is the oil (diesel).
If your car is serviced at correct intervals and you do frequent highway driving and your DPF light came on with the red light, chances are that it's NOT your DPF.

Firstly, the DPF catches soot and prevents it from entering the air which prevents pollution.
The gearbox fault warning on the X-Type is the "go to" response, I even got it when my alternator broke, so don't worry about that.

In my case, my DPF warning light came on with a red light, also, a 'Gearbox Fault' appeared. The following day I took out my DPF and inspected it. It was rather clean. I made a contraption which I attached it to, this allowed me to rest the DPF from the 'enter' side to a pot on the stove (don't do it while your wife is at home). I inserted water into the pot, let it boil and put the DPF on top. The steam then enters and loosens all the soot. But I realised that a lot of 'oil' was coming out, A LOT. I immediately thought that it was due to the the wrong oil in my car, or over-filling. I also used heavy-duty degreaser which really helped remove particals of soot, but mostly 'oil'.

Long story short, it wasn't oil, it was DIESEL. The 2.2 X-Type strangely and in rare cases, looses the coding on its injectors? This might be due to frequently loosening battery poles or the wrong battery or a faulty battery I would suppose.

This in turn caused the injectors to fire at the incorrect intervals, the un-burned diesel then went directly to my DPF and the pressure sensor indicated 'DPF full'.
The technician at Jaguar reprogrammed my injectors to the ECU and the car was perfect again, he did this free off charge I might mention.

These are the codes I encountered before it was resolved:
P1000
P0611
P1700

Things I encountered in diagnosing this problem to look at:
  • Make sure the pipes leading from the pressure sensor to DPF is not cracked due to excessive heat, mine was.
  • Check your EGR valve and clean it. There is a motor on your EGR, test it, its easy. Open the clips on the motor cover of the EGR, three gears will be seen, these are easily put back if it falls out, and 2 terminals, positive and negative, connect a battery, if it works, the motor run when power is applied.
  • Check your glow plugs, I don't know why, but do. Simply remove the manifold, use a 10mm wrench to take the glow plugs out. Press the body of the glow plug against the negative pole of the battery, and with a wire attached to the top of the GP, place that on the negative. Do not do this with a battery alone, do it with a battery in a car while the car is idling.
I hope this helps someone out there. I really had a terrible time with this issue. But with the grace of God it was resolved.