Sponsored by:

Faq: Taillight removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Faq: Taillight removal and replacement

First off this is as easy as could possibly be,

This is what my car looked like before the new taillamp was put in.

The only tools needed are:
10mm socket
Phillips screwdriver (not necessary but makes it a little easier.)

Open the trunk and look at the black panel that is at your knees.

There are 6 panel clips that you use the phillips screw driver to remove the middle and than pop the plug out of it. The picture below shows the plastic screw that is in the middle of these clips

This photo is the clip that pops out once the plastic screw is removed

Pull up on the panel to remove, if you notice there are 4 clips that sit in those 4 holes to help hold the panel down as well as those 6 panel clips.

This is what it looks like once that panel is removed and you pull the carpet out away from the corner

Once you peel that corner of the carpet keep going around to the left and you'll notice one plastic retaining clip. Pull on the carpet and this will pop out of it's hole

Now that the carpet is pulled back you can now see the back of the taillamp. There are 3 nuts size 10mm that you will need to remove and they are marked by the 3 red arrows. ATTN: Save the nuts, if you don't have more with the new lamp. The nuts are the only way for the lamp to stay mounted to the car.

In this picture it shows the metal retaining clip that must be removed to remove the electrical connector from the car to the taillamp. You can use the screw driver to pry it off but be careful not to brake the thin plastic of the taillamp.

This picture shows the clip half removed from the connector

This is the lamp out with the connector almost fully removed from the car.

This picture shows the back of the lamp.

I also took a picture of what the lamp looks like with the back panel of the lamp removed. This piece is the electronics of the lamp.

Here is what the rear of the car looks like without anything in it's place

Here is my mess of a boot

Put everything back together in the opposite of how you took it apart. Be careful when tightening the 3 nuts to the back of the lamp.

Now all I have to do is get the bumper fixed and I'm golden!

Before officially making this a faq I figured I'd see if anyone had any suggestions...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Faq: Taillight removal and replacement

Nice narrative...I liked it..and thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

I just hope nobody actually needs the faq! At least to replace the lamp perhaps to replace a bulb but not to replace the lamp!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Would love to see more pics of the actual bumper damage aq. It looks alot like when a lady him my car 1 week after I had it. Her bumper put a hole in mine, but instead of replacing the bumper, the body shop I took it to repaired it instead. Looks like new to me.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Before officially making this a faq I figured I'd see if anyone had any suggestions...
Put a towel on top of your spare wheel while doing this or better still remove it to stop it getting damaged byitemsplaced on top of it.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

LOL Buck....I always put a fender cover in there while working in the trunk.

Just one thing I would like to add. When you disconnect the electrical connector from the lamp assy, you do not need to, nor do I advise to, remove the metal retaining clip. It is designed to push in. You squeeze it against the connector and disconnect the connector from lamp with the clip still in place. I say this because those little piece like that are easily misplace and you could break connector.

Other than that, good info Aquil. I wonder where you got that.....lol

Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  6.4 KB

Nice one Aquill..............good pics too

Jim

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has become a daily procedure for me as sometimes I want reverse lights and sometimes I don't see the need. You can't even see the brake lights when I have these things on during the day.

Did you ever get a bumper cover? I have one that I'd sell for cheap that has a small dent in it (easily repairable) but it's from an '05 sport.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks arden but I already ordered one. When I get it I'll take some pics of the used bumper, new bumper and how to on that with pics.
Yeah thanks FJT! I didn't have time to waste to look myself I had to hurry up and go to the place to pull it off the car before they closed. The salvage yard wanted 150 for it I told him I found some on ebay for less I'll just wait but thanks for the help and he asked what I'd pay. He said if I came that day and took it off myself he'd take 100 so I was like sweet!

Hey h20 I meant to call you, I've been very busy cleaning and what not. My wife's parents are flying in tomorrow and Park place mercedes is giving me problems . I'll be calling you sooner or later! Sorry bud!

Buck the only thing on the spare wheel ws on there to take pics, I certainly didn't want to place the plastic on the pavement! But thanks!

Hey FJT so your basically saying pull up on that metal clip and don't remove it completely? I tried to only pull up on it but the only thing it wanted was to come off! I removed the one at the salvage yard quite easily as well as mine...If you wouldn't mind write whatever you'd rather me put in that part of the faq and I'll edit it so everyone knows what to do when they read it...Thanks again!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM

aquill,

You squeeze the metal bar down and pull out. It's like a release lever.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm...perhaps I didn't give it a good enough try...prying seemed easier! Although that was some thin plastic! I guess if I would have read his post over again I would have figured that out! LOL!!! Hey arden where are some high res. pics of your car?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:22 AM

Im not real big on showing off, especially not with a personal vehicle that I use somewhat often.

However, this was my second X-Type which I put a lot of work into.

Cost me a lot less than you would think as it was when a lot of the dealers who had stocked Arden's products started having clearance sales because no one was buying the parts.

I had got the wheels for $800, body kit for $1050, and pedal kit for $250! Now that nobody stocks the parts you have to pay retail and with the current status of our economy the currency conversion will kick you in the ***** if your in the USA.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

I like the mirrors...I mean I like the whole car but I like those mirrors as well!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Yea, well they only add about 15bhp.

They are super sexy but for $1500 it's a absolute rip off. It's pretty much just fiberglass with a cheap powered/heated mirror mechanism. Also an expensive pain in the neck to have installed unless your a wiring guru. Needs to be wired to the side signals.

Your paying for the look which I think makes a big difference. Very sporty feel makes you feel like your in a race car because they are much higher up. But, if your used to the monster stock mirrors you'd definitely lose visibility. Also, part of the mirror is angled to help with the blind spot which takes some getting used to.

The car got totaled a while back and the only thing that wasn't damaged was the mirrors. I went to go get them from the junk yard and someone idiot who dumped it took a huge chunk out of the fiberglass.

BTW, insurance gave me $0 for the aftermarket parts (insurance is a joke). I threaten to sue the bitch that hit me and I got a large settlement.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Back to the original topic. Push toward the connector....dont pull the clip....lol

Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hey man you don't have to explain what a joke insurance companies are to me! They aren't in the business to help you out when they need them although they play that card til you have to make a claim. Insurance is a joke! I just got my new quote for insurance (after that whole pot hole thing which they only paid out 1200 bucks) and they raised my insurance almost 30 bucks a month for the only claim I've made with them ever and I've had them for 2-3 years. Mind you I'm 23 married and neither my wife or myself have tickets or accidents on our record at all. The insurance just for my 2002 is like 173 a month! I got a quote from progressive and it's like 194 for 250 deductible on both my 2003 mountaineer premier 2wd and the jag. Oh yeah and the coverage is 100/300 not 50/100 which state farm has me under now. Progressive's quote also includes rental car coverage, roadside assistance and like i already said 250 deductible not 500. Insurance/state farm sucks. In Michigan I was paying under 100 bucks but I also had a ford escape so I got the mutli car discount. Every month with renters insurance and jag/escape coverage it was like 180-190 a month for all 3. Here it's 173 just for the jag! I think Texas is some of the reason but still...I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES!!![:@]

The best part is when you make a claim you don't deal with the nice people from the office you deal with! No you deal with ***** claim adjusters!!![:@][:@][:@]

Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Gotcha FJT! I'll correct that asap! Thanks again!