X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few more Questions 02' Manual, Console, Probs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Few more Questions 02' Manual, Console, Probs?

So a dealer near me has a unicorn...

02' X-Type, Sport Package, ***** Red (I think it was really called Phoenix), Nav, Lux Pkg, Xenons, DSC -- all the options I can never seem to find on ONE car. Only 59k miles.

Now, I had told myself 2004 and up ONLY because 02/03 had problems.

It seems mostly though from the threads on here, the main problem is the auto tranny - so thats not the case. Any other areas to check out?

Also, when I test drove it I could not get the shifter into reverse. Is there some trick i'm missing... I Know some cars you have to like, push down, on the knob, I couldn't figure out how to get it though????

Also, being an 02, it has the stupid single cupholder console... has anyone changed the console from a later model into an 02/03?

THANKS!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Tommy, you're correct to be a little hesitant about the '02/'03s. Just my .02 cents but have the oil pan gasket checked for leaks. Seems an easy fix, but most dealers want about $1400 to replace. Reason being it takes about 9 hours of labor to replace.

I have an '05 3.0L manual and had to have the pan gasket replaced. But, no other issues and I absolutely love the manual.

Wish I could help you out regarding reverse, but I just shift into reverse like normal on my car. I think I read somewhere that you have to pull up on the little chrome disc that's on the shifter before going into reverse...maybe someone else on here could help address that issue??

Good luck to you.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Weird. Maybe there's a problem with ... It's also got the sqeaking coming from the steering column, which i thought was leather rubbing, but read that it was being transmitted from the rack... so that'd need to be addressed too.

According to the carfax... the driver door lock has been replaced, door handle linkage, parking brake control, drive belt and driveshaft have been replaced in 05.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM

oops hit reply too soon...

Even though I LOVE it in red (seriously, the 15 min I test drove it I got soo many looks in that car) --- I'm soo leary about the 02.

But finding another manual in 04/05 with xenons and premium pack with less than 70k seems damn near impossible. They're asking 11 for the 02, which is def. high, i'd only take it for about 9500-10.

Then part of me thinks even though it's not nearly the looker the Jag is, there's an 04' Bimmer 330xi, 1-owner, decked out - cold weather, bi-xenons, harmon/kardon, 59k for only $12 grand. It might be the better choice. even finding one of those in a stick seems damn near impossible.

Unless I can get a Comprehensive extended warranty on the Jag, I have a call into the dealer to find out if its an optiona nd how much.

It's not at the Jag Dealer, but the group its at does have a Jag Dealer.

Last edited by tommybluez; 03-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Tommy, the bigger issue above the tranny that i would be looking at is the transfer case. People have had tons more problems with the transfer case than the tranny. I would tell the shop that you will take the car right after they do the transfer case fluid change out with a report of how much fluid came out of the transfer case. They should quote you about 400 ml. If they are lying to you, they will say 600ml (that is the recommended fill amount). If they tell you that only 50ml came out, don't be alarmed, just a point of interest (a lot of us have pulled the plug and found no fluid in our transfer cases, yet they continue to run many, many miles later and more fluid). The big issue with the transfer case is that it tends to flex a lot under hard accelerations leading to the case cracking and its failure. Since you drove the car and are not complaining about any grinding noise or loud gear sounds, the transfer case is good.

As for the price, they are a little high. I would keep an eye on a website called texascarsdirect.com. They are based out of Texas, you can buy cars through them and for probably about $1000 and a long weekend, you can pick up your dream car and have some fun driving it back. They have an 04 XJ8 on there right now for $13K. Much nicer car for $1K more than they are wanting for the car you are looking at. Sure, that one has 87K miles on it, but that is still fairly new for newer motors.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks Thermo, I'll keep an eye out --- I've been re-thinking -- what's reliable thats AWD today and forgot all about the Acura RL... THere's a one owner dealer serviced one in Rochester with like 79k miles, but for an Acura that's nothing. I owned two previously. and it's only like 16k. And the RL's come loaded to the hilt, they had no options, plus SH-AWD and a 300hp V6. THere's a local one here thats overpriced but i'm going to go drive it and see how I like it.