X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog light assembly

Since when I had bought the car, the fog lights were not working. So I ended up pulling out the fog light assembly to start an HID kit conversion, and to my surprise (a very unfortunate one) I found a build up of salt and corrosion, therefore the assembly was all chewed up and destroyed. Since that has been put on hold, I found a very interesting kit that looks good on the jag:

Jaguar x Type 2002 2008 Fog Driving Lamp Light Kit Instant Rebate Available | eBay

My question being, would a 55w kit work with the jag, or would we need to modify anything? It's also an H3, it is different from the H1 we have - but if the kit supports the different bulb then it is alright I suppose.

Any inputs?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Fezz,
I reckon THERMO has most the answers you seek.... he's done extensive stuff on HID conversions etc.

Try doing a Search ?

Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Fezz, let me start off by saying that installing that kit is going to be illegal as all get out. I can't really find a part of it that is legal other than simply mounting the housings in the car and leaving the lights off.

The blue lights in the bottom of the housing is asking to be pulled over by the cops for "impersonating a police officer". Have friends that have been pulled over for things less than that. Blue lights are reserved for police only.

As for the HID bulbs. You can not wire those lights up directly to the factory wiring. You will fry the relay in no time flat. The 55W HID bulbs are going to have about a 30 amp starting surge for each light (so, 60 amps total when you go to turn on the fog lights). The fog/high beam relay is only rated at 20 amps. Also, keep in mind that those lights are going to put out way too much light. The 55W HIDs are rated at around 4500 lumen of light. The high beams on your car are only rated at 1500 lumen. So, imagine someone coming at you with 3 sets of high beams on. That is what you are doing to them with those lights. Kinda getting back on topic, if you are going to install these, you will need to wire them up to a separate circuit and use atleast a 50 amp relay to power those lights. Then you will use the factory wiring to simply turn these lights on and off. The power will need to come directly from the battery using all new wiring. Using the factory wiring to power these lights is going to lead to very ugly electrical issues, not limited to, but overheated wiring leading to a short/fire.

It is your car, but be ready for a lot of extra work to make those new housings work. If you do want to make them work, let me know and I will assist however I can.

The following users liked this post:
Fezz (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks thermo for the response, and no I will not go ahead with these. I was actually wondering about these, because the fog light assembly are cheaper as a whole compared to the actual Jag ones. I'll be making a few local phone calls at the junk yard - hoping to find some that are in good condition at fair prices.

Again, thank you.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey were you able to remove the assembly with-out removing the bumper cover? if so, how? thanx much.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh whoops so does that mean my 55w HID kit in my low beans will fry my relays? Seems to be working okay now...

Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Bracester, it is not advisable for the reasons I mentioned above. Will it take it for awhile, yes. But, it would be like me tossing a 100 pound medicine ball at you. You can handle it a few times, but after a bit, you are going to drop that ball due to it being too much weight. Besides, you are trying to pull too much current through the stock wiring and what is happening is the voltage seen at your HID ballasts is low on startup, which is causing the ballasts to have to work too hard and it is going to lead to their early failure. Will it fail tomorrow, probably not. Within a year, the odds are significantly higher. IT partly depends on how many times you turn your lights on and off. Again, the medicine ball analogy works here.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Bracester, it is not advisable for the reasons I mentioned above. Will it take it for awhile, yes. But, it would be like me tossing a 100 pound medicine ball at you. You can handle it a few times, but after a bit, you are going to drop that ball due to it being too much weight. Besides, you are trying to pull too much current through the stock wiring and what is happening is the voltage seen at your HID ballasts is low on startup, which is causing the ballasts to have to work too hard and it is going to lead to their early failure. Will it fail tomorrow, probably not. Within a year, the odds are significantly higher. IT partly depends on how many times you turn your lights on and off. Again, the medicine ball analogy works here.
Interesting...so time to switch to some 35 Watters then...dang off with the bumper once more lol...will do it when I get my headlamp adjusters in from Poland.