X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights/Head Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog lights/Head Lamps

Looking to replace my fog lights soon, and clean them as well as the headlamps. Anyone know if there is a cleaning product that can remove the blur from the headlamp and foglamp? Is this caused by the outside or inside atmosphere?

And, I know what kind of lights my headlamps take (HID) but not too sure about the fog lights. Any recommendations?

Thank you Jaguar guru's

Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

So your fog lights are H1 bulb type and they are halogens. Mine burned out and I bought an H1 HID kit on ebay for $30 to convert my fog lights to HID's. You have to do a little bit of fabbing with some epoxy, but it's really not that hard. If you just want the standard H1 halogens, you will have to replace them by pulling the dust cover off of the front bumper which is held on by about 16 torx screws. Then, the headlights just come out by twisting them.

As for the hazy headlights, I have actually started to get paid to do headlight restoration.
Here's what I do. I use 1500 grit sand paper, 2000, then 3000 (had to get it on ebay.) when you're sanding, make sure you keep the sandpaper WET otherwise you will burn the plastic and make everything worse. Then, I got a concoction of 50% helmsman spar urethane, 50% mineral spirits that I coat over the now even hazier headlights because of sanding. I do about two layers and put it on with the rolled up side of a shop towel.

You can go to an auto parts store and get a kit to do it for less than $10, but the whole problem is that the haziness indicates that your original UV protectant has been removed due to wear and tear. The kit will just remove the oxidation caused from the UV rays, but will not create a new UV filter. You can make your own UV filter by using a synthetic wax and applying it every month, or you can try the urethane method. Good luck and if you need help, let me know!

The following users liked this post:
Fezz (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Do not forget, you can also use an adhesion promoter and some clear coat (it has a UV protectant in it). I use a product called "3M Perfect It III". It is a little pricy ($50 for a quart bottle, but can sometimes be found cheaper), but this stuff is good for the whole car. Literally, paint, headlights, wheels, chrome, glass, etc. That bottle will last you for years too as you don't need a lot of it to do what you need. The only caution that I will say is that if you are using it on the paint, do not use a power buffer. You can possibly "burn" the paint on the edges with power tools. Once you start using it, you will probably not want any other product. When doing the windshield, you use the 3M product and some 0000 steel wool. I know what you are thinking, but trust me, you will be amazed as to what it will do. Just make sure to keep a fair amount of the 3M product on the glass.

The following users liked this post:
Fezz (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are both awesome! Thanks so much, I'll give it a try. +1

BTW, is the restoration simply done on the outside, or inside? I've heard different things, but of course - there are some people who think they're right.. all the time lol

Last edited by Fezz; 07-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Fezz, inside and out. Depends on how the headlight is having issues. Some people have the outside of the headlight fog over. THis is the easiest to deal with. But, some have gotten water inside the headlight and it has resulted in the inside of the headlight fogging up. So, what you need to do is dependent on where the fogging is occurring.