X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Front End Wobble

My 2003 X-Type has developed a wobble in the front end. I'm thinking I might have hit one to many pot holes this winter, can't miss them all, try to miss small ones and you usually end up hitting a larger one. I don't see any appearent wheel damage but I haven't raised the front end off the ground yet so I can really get a good look. I'm hoping it's just tire damage or something like that because I'm planning to get new tire before next winter anyway. This problem just showed up in the last couple of months, it also has a slight pull to the left. Before this there was no movement of the steering wheel and it ran straight down the road when I let go of the wheel. Last October we took a trip to Texas and there was no sign of a problem.
Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?

Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Front End Wobble

Lots of variables. Tires, suspension component, bearing, rack problem.
If the vehicle is actually wobbling, I recommend taking it to a shop that is knowledgable of your car and get it checked asap.
Wobbling = not good

Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 PM

I probably didn't express myself very well. It's doing more of a shake about a half inch or so from center on the steering wheel.It stilldrives straight down the road but will pull slightly left when I take my hands off the wheel. The tires especially the front are border line ready for replacement, don't think they have ever been rotated. I know years ago during the early days of steal belted radials there was a problem of the belts slipping, I thought those days were gone,but from reading several comments lately I guess the problem still exists in some tires. Soon as it warms up a little more I'm going raise the front off the ground so I can get underneath to check everything out to make sure nothing is obviously bent or damage in any way. I'll turn the wheels around to see if they appear to be running true. This problem just started all of a sudden that's why I think it is probably caused by one or more pot holes jumping out and getting me.

Thanks for your reply

Old 04-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Also rotate the tires front to rear see f problem improves or worsens. Couldn't hurt if it has never bee done.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if your still on contis just replace them. I was having a lot of tire thump when the tires got about 30% tread and i NEVER hit any potholes or curbs.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Default RE: Front End Wobble (UPDATE)

Well I finally got around to rotating the front wheels to the back. This move made all the difference in the world. Now there's no frontend shake and no pulling to the left. Now all I need to do is replace all 4 tires later this year, since I know the nothing iswrong with any of the front end parts.
Boy though what should have been a simple and short job of rotating the wheel turned into a very lengthy and frustrating job. First off on the left side only 2 of the lug nuts came loose right away, one on the front and one on the rear. The others I was forced to use my heavy duty breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater extention and foot and leg power to break them loose. The right side rear came off the way it was suppose to. The right front finally come off but 3 of them had to be played with for awhile. But then came the real frustration, the wheel wouldn't come off the hub. I worked on it for about a hour and a half or more soaking it with liquid wrench and bumping it with a rubber mallet. I finally used a block of wood against the wheel moving it around the outside edge and striking the block with a 3 pound sledge hammer. It finally came loose then I just had to work it back and forth with my hands until it came off. Before I put everything back together I wire brushed all the studs and hubs and put a thin coating of anti seize on them.

While I had the rear wheels off I looked over the brakes and see no real problem in doing the brake job myself. This will save me areal bundle of dough from the $510 quote I got from the dealship for this job. I will be able to put on the best pads and still save around $400.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM

Glad you found d the problem. A pry bar is a great investment for you trunk for when you need to get the wheels off. Common problem.
With you rear brakes, you need a caliper piston turn in tool. Remember the left rear is left handed thread. Not as easy as it looks without proper tools.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks Factory Jaguar Tech.

Guess I'll just have to be inovative like I have over the past 50 + years of working on cars, trucks and motorcycles. When I started out at 15 all I had for tools was a few hand tools left me by my father. I guess I'll just do like I did then, sit down and study the project and figure out how to do the job with what I have on hand.
I know one thing for sure, I won't pay a ridiculous amount to a dealership.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 AM

My point was, the left rear is left handed thread. I didnt want you to ruin a caliper because you didnt know.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Factory Jaguar Tech.
I'm sorry I wasn't trying to snub you. I was only saying that I'm sure I can do the job one way or another. That I have many years experience working on vehicles of all types doing everything from simple tune ups to overhauls and complete ground up rebuilds. I'm also a trained mechanic, I used my GI Bill to attend school after retiring from the Navy.
I respect your position as a Jag tech and your help in solving problems on this form and yes I did know about the difference in the left and right caliper pistons as I saw it in the Chilton Manual I bought.

Thank your informed assistance,

Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 AM

No worries Bob,
let us know if you run into any further issues,

FJT