X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Front wheel bearing???

Perhaps I am daft asking but what ho. I have thought for a while I perhaps have a front nearside" UK" wheel bearing going. Its a ying ying ying noise at road wheel speed, You have to listen carefully it's not loud. No vibration and is more pronounced on a good road surface. BUT my garage suggested it could be a tyre. It's not I have had the fronts swapped to the back. Noise is still the same
Problem is I have had wheel bearings go before and always the noise alters when you lean hard into a bend either way. This does not it's constant.
I can of course have the bearing done, cost is not too bad, but I still have a feeling in my water it might be something else.

Any bright suggestions please.

Last edited by DUNKS; 01-17-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Stuck brake pad? Other than that, I'd lean towards bearing. The ying, ying, ying is a rotation squeak/squeal to me.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Default BEARING

Thanks. No it's not a brake pad. Also it's not a squeal. I think perhaps it is the very first indication of a bearing that's on the way out. i do hope so as it's an easy fix.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Have the garage check the speed sensor and pulse ring on the nearside outer end of the drive axle. They sometimes can have something caught in the splines that can cause that type of sound.

The best way to diagnose such a sound is to have the vehicle raised and the engine running. Place the vehicle in gear and get up to the speed you hear the noise. Use a stethoscope, or a long screw driver, to listen to stationary parts to see if the noise it transmitted and to isolate the source.

If the noise is not present, it's most likely a tyre.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Have the garage check the speed sensor and pulse ring on the nearside outer end of the drive axle. They sometimes can have something caught in the splines that can cause that type of sound.

The best way to diagnose such a sound is to have the vehicle raised and the engine running. Place the vehicle in gear and get up to the speed you hear the noise. Use a stethoscope, or a long screw driver, to listen to stationary parts to see if the noise it transmitted and to isolate the source.

If the noise is not present, it's most likely a tyre.
Thanks it's not a tyre. Read my OP. Also a visual has been done when it had it's MOT.
Sorry but my garage does not have the facility to safely run the engine on a raised lift.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Yes, I did indeed read your original post, thus did I suggest raising the vehicle to eliminate all four tyres from possibly being the source. A visual inspection during MoT is not going to identify a tyre having an internal casing issue.

Find another garage.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Yes, I did indeed read your original post, thus did I suggest raising the vehicle to eliminate all four tyres from possibly being the source. A visual inspection during MoT is not going to identify a tyre having an internal casing issue.

Find another garage.
I am so very sorry if I have confused you.
The visual check was done at the same time as the MOT. Guy is a friend. Both front wheels were removed for the inspection of the disc pads and any foreign matter. Front wheels were then swapped for the rears. The noise is obviously from the front nearside, confirmed by drivers and passengers. Tyre swap has not altered noise so not tyres.
If you are going to be real pedantic the work was not done during the MOT "not allowed", but after it.

Thanks anyway any input is helpful.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Default NOISE

OK folks. had a service. New brake pads all round. AND A NEW FRONT NEARSIDE BEARING.
Sound is till the same so it was not that. Running out of options now. Looks as if I must wait for it to get worse. Whatever it is!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

are your rotors warped ,if not it could be the other side bearing

Old 02-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dennis black
are your rotors warped ,if not it could be the other side bearing
Rotors "discs" as we call them are fine. Could of course be the other bearing but cant see how the noise transmits to nearside. I have asked several passengers and all say the same. Two drivers too have insisted it;s nearside.
Thanks for the thoughts!