Sponsored by:

Gasoline Grade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Gasoline Grade

Hey Todd,
1st Congrats on your purchase....I too have the 05, 3L auto and love it.
2nd.. The best fuel I found that actually saves gas is the premium fuel 91 octane or better. I've been using 93 and she just purrs like a kitten.

I think the owner???s manual also states to use 91 or better. You can by all means use the 89 but your performance and fuel economy will suffer. If you decide to use 89 you will after the second fill up notice a drastic decrease in fuel economy (due to the computer advancing the timing to max) and sluggish performance.. (Been there, done that)

Anyway, good luck..

________
Digital vaporizer

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, shes something else....love mine too....wish she had a turbo now......h,mmmmmm
________
Airsoft aeg

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Todd,
First, I suppose it all depends on where you live. Northwest states where you're 1K or better feet above see level or south east right at see level? At Higher altitude, lower octane will do.

Here is jersey, I used to use the 89 and the performance was horrible....then I read the owners manual, clearly states using 93 or better for my 3L. Once I started using the high octane fuel, not only did I get the performance, but fuel economy jumped as well.

The computer compensates for your low octane fuel, and remembers you have a high compression engine, 10.5:1. That is the same compression that race engines use.....but since your computer "retards" the ignition to compensate, you don't hear the pinging going on in your engine, as it starts to tear the engine apart. Keep using that fuel and you'll see a decrease in fuel economy, since the computer "retarded" your ignition, your performance level dropped considerably as well. If you're a slow driver and don't care about performance....you probably won't notice the performance loss....but I can guarantee that your fuel economy will start to decrease.

My suggestion and experience is to stick with the high octane. I don't like paying the high prices as well, but that???s what my baby needs...

________
Prilosec pregnancy

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm, never heard of that before..That???s a new one. I do know that they manufacture a different fuel for winter months..Less oxygenated I think. No sure.

Last winter I accidentally put 89 in it (the pump guy didn't hear me I guess and it was too late to do anything about it) saved 5 bucks I think. Anyway, long story short.....never again! lol

I suppose you can try it out for a test and see what you think...all depends on your driving style I suppose. I'm more aggressive and need that extra punch, but if you're a slow and easy...I suppose 89 wouldn't hurt for a short term anyway...

________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

I don't agree....yes, cars will run on any grade....that's becasue the computer adjust the timing and such..trade off is....carbon build up, engine damage do to sever pining (you won't hear it, ping sensor adjust) poor fuel economy and poor performace.

If you read your owners manual, it states that for best performace, fuel milage and perventive maintenace, for the Jag, use 92 or better...the higher compression engine needs it. Your actually wasting money by using the lower octane fuel.......

But hey, if it works it works..
________
Jaguar Mark 2 History

Old 11-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Default RE: Too much to read... but interesting

Thanks.....if you can use any grade gasoline other than the minimum required, would you subsistue your oil for something less than required? I don't think so.

Nuff said.

peace.

________
Iamhotlikehell

Old 11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

ok..ok...you use synthetic...I use Castrol GTX and primum fuel.

all good...

________
CROSMAN SAH02 AIRSOFT PISTOL HOLSTER

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel octane affects engines quite a bit actually. I had a 96 honda 900rr crotch rocket and could definetely tell the difference between lower octanes and higher octanes. They suggested using 91 and higher in the bike and you can totally tell the difference in fuels. The amount of performance lost to using lower grade fuels is detrimental to motorcycles. You may not realize these things in a car as they weigh 3000-5000 pounds vs. my bike with wet weight barely tips over 400lbs. wet (wet meaning with all fluids.) You flick the throttle on that bike and you notice hesitation, inconsistencies, and lack of overall performance! You may not notice these in a heavy car as they don't react half as fast as cars. Personally I'll stick to using whatever the manufacturer suggests. My sister has a lincoln mark VII with a high perfomance 5.0 and if she doesn't put premium fuel in it the car knocks! We believe (mechanics as well) that the previous owner used low-grade fuel in the car which resulted in the knocking of the engine. In every dohc that I have heard of except for some 4-bangers premium fuel is recommended. Thats just me though, after riding my bike and noticing such a tremendous difference I'll stick to the recommendation of the people making the bike. I also noticed the difference between the 110 leaded (TURBO BLUE) fuel I put in the bike vs. 93! That thing purred like a freakin' lion-no joke! I also find that the smell was much better than the regular 93 fuel that didn't smell very good on the non-cat bike!

Old 11-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Amen brother..There's a reason why they have the higer octane fuel...If all cars took the same type fuel...we would only have one to choose from.

good info again...

________
Zoloft lawsuit

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

I don't care if its carbs or fuel injected to me the bike had older technology which shouldn't have made quite a big difference with the bike not having the technology fuel injected engines have these days. My feeling is that if the bike can react like this on a bike why wouldn't it matter in a fuel injected computer monitored car. I just feel that in a car thats 10 times heavier you won't notice the difference quite like I could on my bike which was much lighter. I am convinced that if 91 is recommended on that thats what I'm going to do as well as in this car. I'd get it in writing from the dealer (jag of troy I assume) that they say its good to do that and when something happens blame it on them. Maybe they know a thing or two about these scammer gas stations who change the amount of water they add to their gas-had it happen before here in Michigan

Old 11-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Not trying to start a fight or anything just trying to give my 2cents!

Quick Reply: Gasoline Grade