X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault......HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Gearbox Fault......HELP

Okay guys here is what's up. I was headed to work on Friday and the car shifted to 4th gear and thew a gearbox fault and cruise not available. When I came to a stop and started to go again it felt like the motor missed and then the check engine light came on. It was raining quite a bit when this happened. Now the car is in safe mode and stays in 4th gear. It is not in the safe mode like some are in , ie "can only go 7 mph". Reverse works fine with no issues. It does make a faint jolt when it goes into drive.

I have searched and searched and here is what I have done this weekend. I also haven't pulled the codes yet, but I figued if I went down the list 1st I could see if any of it was a fix.

1st I pulled the tcm and checked for water intrusion. Found a little bit of corossion on the plug, but NONE inside of it.

2nd I let it sit overnight to see if it would clear itself up. To my expectation it did not.

3rd I pulled the ecm and checked for water intrusion. Found NO signs of it on the plugs or inside of it. This did not fix the issue either.

4th I drained the tranny and filled it back up with 4 qts of tranny fluid. the fluid did not look that bad. Was a little darker then the fluids regular fluid color. Once again this did not fix the issue.

5th I cleaned the throttle body. Was not real dirty, but was a slight bit dirty. As the pattern goes this did not fix the issue.

The only thing I haven't done is pulled the codes. I plan on doing that today and reseting them.

I am really looking for any other options. Otherwise it is looking like rebuilding the tranny for this jag. DAMN IT!!!!!

Thanks guys in advance!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Pulled the codes. They are:
P1111-duh.
And this one worries me.
P1643.

That's it. Is there a chance if I rest it that the issue may be a fluke?

SOMEONE has got to have some insight. Help a guy out.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Okay here is the latest. Last night hooked up the code reader and erased the cosed. The red gear indicator light lit up on the shifter with the yellow fault light still on. I backed up and took it for a spin. It shifted, but was SUPER sluggish. Took it back to the house and parked it. Came back out a bit later and started it up with no lights on at all. Took it back out for another spin and she ran as perfect as could be. When I got back I hooked the reader up to see if it was too good to be true. It was, as it came up with the p1643 code again and the light came back on and it went back into limp mode.

I no that nobody has replied anything, but I need some sort of help here to diag the TCM, ECM, and the wiring. I haven't checked the fuses either. How many are there. Is it under the hood or the one on the d/s under the dash. If so which one. Don't have the map of the one under the dash. I know the one under the hood is under the cover.

Please, PLEASE I need pointed in a direction to diag what's wrong here. Dealer is over 2 hours away and I don't want to throw $1,000's and hope something sticks. I hope I can count on some help from my fellow X-type owners.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM

As of now issue resolved without changing the tcm. If anyone has this issue reply to this post and I will be MORE then happy to help you and walk you thru the last few resorts you have and hopefully you will be as lucky as I was.

Last edited by southernjag; 06-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you do to fix it?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM

I replaced fuse 67 I think it was, fuse 80, and fuse 90 as well as the relay for the tcm. I then pulled the tcm to check to see if the wiring was getting power. They were. Since I had it pulled I lubed the tcm and harness and pluged it back in. I left it dangling by the floor and did not put the tcm back into its original location because I was sure I was going to have to replace it. I turned the car on and issue was resolved. So while I was at it I relocated it and mounted it with some zip ties by the brake pedal. Since water is a possible issue I mouned it there so the wires go down and up so no water would have a chance to get in it. I know it may be a little over kill, but one issue is enough for me and look at it more as preventive. The car is not running as good as it was before the issue, but I think that could be it is at P1000 instead of the P1111. I could be wrong, but I see it as a possibility.

The following users liked this post:
Dorian Reinauer (08-23-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

FYI, someone, in another post, suggested that the TCM could get wet due to leakage where the hood release cable goes through the firewall. You might want to check the grommets for leakage.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this exact same issue and was able to fix it without replacing the tcm. I had purchased the car back in May and it threw those exact 2 codes 3 days after i bought it after a huge rain. So i uninstalled the TCM and there was obvious water intrusion to the connector. Cleaned up the pins and connector best i could with some isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol 85%). Then as i wasn't sure how to fix the leak, there was enough slack in the wiring harness to mount the TCM back into the same location but 180 degress from how it was originally mounted in there. This provides for a "drip loop" and prevents any more moisture to run into the TCM. Took me all of 15min to do. I've had absolutely no more problems with a gearbox fault or DSC system fault. Do this to prevent anymore moisture problems and avoid paying $1200 for a new one like some people have been forced to do.

Last edited by myjaghasspark; 06-26-2012 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dorian Reinauer (08-23-2012)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Default same problem

Originally Posted by southernjag
I replaced fuse 67 I think it was, fuse 80, and fuse 90 as well as the relay for the tcm. I then pulled the tcm to check to see if the wiring was getting power. They were. Since I had it pulled I lubed the tcm and harness and pluged it back in. I left it dangling by the floor and did not put the tcm back into its original location because I was sure I was going to have to replace it. I turned the car on and issue was resolved. So while I was at it I relocated it and mounted it with some zip ties by the brake pedal. Since water is a possible issue I mouned it there so the wires go down and up so no water would have a chance to get in it. I know it may be a little over kill, but one issue is enough for me and look at it more as preventive. The car is not running as good as it was before the issue, but I think that could be it is at P1000 instead of the P1111. I could be wrong, but I see it as a possibility.
I got the same problem,it was raining heavy that day and hour later had same issue you had with your car but two days later I turn it on and the engine faults dissappear,drove car for almost 3 weeks and now it did it again and it was inside my garage when I went to start it and engine faults came back on,whats the best thing for me to check first,thx

Old 10-21-2016, 06:46 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

you need to pull codes, gearbox faults can come on for a whole range of issues not all of which are transmission related.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 AM
Default Gearbox fault and.dSC on

Originally Posted by joesoap
you need to pull codes, gearbox faults can come on for a whole range of issues not all of which are transmission related.
scan car,codes are po403 and p1111

Old 10-22-2016, 04:49 AM

Scan car,codes were p1643 and p1111

Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 AM

Sorry po403 was a mistake of me, i am new here

Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Default Thanks

Thank you for sharing. Car was about to be sold and gear box fault ! Cleared the errors, but you say fuse 67... Brilliant.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:40 AM
Default Jag x-type 3.0 P1643 code

Originally Posted by southernjag
As of now issue resolved without changing the tcm. If anyone has this issue reply to this post and I will be MORE then happy to help you and walk you thru the last few resorts you have and hopefully you will be as lucky as I was.
Hi,
I have this issue with my 2003 X-type 3.0 automatic. How did you resolve it? Thank you!