X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault. Transmission not changing out of second gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts

Ok, I have to ask now: How did you manage to remove the top left corner bolt of the catalyst bracket, when you removed your TC? (Illustration 12 in the TB)
I tried all day today - I welded a special tool together, was even able to turn that bold a few mm off its position. I welded and bent an extended spanner together, coming from underneath, but I do not have sufficient space to get "a new grip" on the bolt... I will try to cut off a ratchet-spanner tomorrow and weld something onto that one...
(Btw.: While I am sure you will have to use some kind of tool with ring-spanner size 13mm for YOUR bolt, I have to use one for 17mm, as some "champ", who fiddled around there before (previous owner), used a bolt with a 17mm head...)

PS: I finally found out that a nearby shop sells a set of flexible ratchet spanners for a reasonable price - this should work - I may have to weld an extension on - I'll pick up a set tomorrow...

PS 2: Meanwhile I found a picture of that the tranny-"face" will look like after I have pulled the TC - see the 2nd picture in the set of 8 in:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-case-114136/
Seeing what sticks out there to connect to the TC made me think: So there are 2 "rotary connectors" going to the TC...: What if the reason for your probs are not with the tranny, but with your "new" TC? What if the inner and outer "rotary output" of your tranny are all OK, but one of the two is responsible for the lower gears of D and the other one for the higher gears of D, and your new TC does not "transmit" the higher gears? I assume your "new" TC is used, hence, you would not know, if it is OK... and I assume there is sufficient fluid in your TC? And the correct fluid would be e.g. Penrite full synthetic 80W-140 (I know, it's 75W-140, but as it is really hot all the time in Australia, 80W-140 would be OK for me here, while 75W-140 is really hard to get here for good reason...).

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 02-11-2024 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Added PS note / Added PS 2 note
Old 02-11-2024, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was lucky enough that the bolt you're referring to was screwed all the way back in. The previous owner must've had work done before and the bolt was tightened just enough the place the bracket back. That one section of the bracket has a hook opening so the bolt doesn't have to come out completely.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts

> So how are you making out?
Update: I finally conquered that bolt (don't ask!). Catalyst bracket out (and I'm making it "shiny" already), TC support bracket out, and even: TC out! Next targets: subframe & tranny.

Any news on your side? Any way to check, if your fault sits in the new TC?

Old 02-13-2024, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
> So how are you making out?
Update: I finally conquered that bolt (don't ask!). Catalyst bracket out (and I'm making it "shiny" already), TC support bracket out, and even: TC out! Next targets: subframe & tranny.

Any news on your side? Any way to check, if your fault sits in the new TC?
I haven't started back on working on it yet. I'm thinking it maybe a stuck closed shift solenoid