X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gearbox fault TRS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gearbox fault TRS?

02 Jaguar X-type will start in any gear position. I have adjusted the cable and replaced the range sensor, but I am wondering if the range senor is still the fault. I was getting the code P0706, but after I got the cable adjusted correctly, that code went away. The P on the J-Gate stays illuminated even when the car is in R, N, or D, but none of the letters are illuminated if I switch from Drive to 4, 3, or 2. However, once I switch back to drive from 4, the P is once again illuminated. Any advice is appreciated...

Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Dat, for your car to start, the following sequence needs to be met. The first is that the car needs to see the gear shift in the P or N position (done by the TRS switch). This sends a signal to the ECU to say that the tranny is in the correct gear. YOu then have the GEM module that looks for the key code and sees if it is seeing a proper key number. This information is then passed on to the instrument cluster which then looks at that number and sees if it is one of the acceptable numbers (ie, pre-programmed into the car). If all of this is good, the instrument cluster sends a message to the ECU to say start the car. So, once the ECU sees the start command (from the ignition key), a good signal from the TRS switch, and the signal from the instrument cluster, the relay for the starter is activated and allows the motor to start.

In your case, it is sounding like your TRS is sending a signal when it shouldn't be. I would first try unplugging the TRS switch and seeing if your car will start then. If the car still starts, then your problem is not the TRS switch, but a wiring issue where 12 VDC is getting applied to the black wire in pin 6 of your TRS. Unfortunately, this will require some hand over handing of the TRS wiring.

Based on other conversations that I have had with you, I am wondering if you don't have a wire that is somehow shorting pins 8 and 9 toghether on the TRS plug. This would explain the P light, but not necessarily the ability to start in any gear. If you need the diagram, let me know. But, the more that I think about it, the more I am thinking there is a wire or two out of place.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo,
I have unplugged the TRS previously and again to check if my car will start and oddly enough it does start with the TRS is unplugged and it doesn't even throw a code for it being unplugged. I had a friend who was fooling with the wires before, so having a couple wires crossed would not surprise me the least bit.. Should I start with finding pin 6 and chasing it down from there, or what do you recommend.?/....thanks again

Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

I would say to download the JTIS from here (if you haven't already) and then look in Section 4 of the drawings. You will see the J-gate in the upper right corner. Verify those wires are in the correct locations. I would also take a look at the plug (car side) to make sure that it looks to be in fairly good condition and isn't causing some sort of internal problem.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

This is what I found on my 2002 X Type and would explain the starting w/o TSR connected......

If you end up replacing the Range Sensor, remember that the range sensor not only contains the neutral safety switch providing a signal to the ECM starter circuit, but also provides input to the Transmission Control Module for each gear selected on the J Gate. You will need to verify J Gate shifter position indication alignment with that reported by the Range sensor and align the range sensor, if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails gearbox fault TRS?-tsr_02.jpg   gearbox fault TRS?-tsr_03.jpg  

Last edited by PanamaJag; 12-10-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add details