X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had parts of leather replaced in their seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Has anyone had parts of leather replaced in their seats?

Asking because I have tried and tried to restore my seats and steering wheel with ScuffMaster and other dyes with initial excellent results, but not long lasting.

I know it works longer for others but not for me. I am ready to have the leather parts of the steering wheel recovered in new leather and the seat covers
either replaced or repaired on the worn parts. I don’t know why the seats keep on getting worn, at least the steering wheel I can attribute to my hyperhydrosis hands....:.

Any recommendations on where to have this done appreciated. I am in Houston so something local would be helpful. If not local I imagine the steering wheel has to be removed and send out somewhere for restoration.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Ideally this is what I want, but I am not going to pay 500 dollars for it.....

Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's very nice steering wheel, where did you find it?
Only way to repair part of leather seat is remove the leather cover from the seat and bring it to upholstering shop and have them replace the worn part. or on some YouTube video show you how to restore worn leather seat.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thanguar
That's very nice steering wheel, where did you find it?
Only way to repair part of leather seat is remove the leather cover from the seat and bring it to upholstering shop and have them replace the worn part. or on some YouTube video show you how to restore worn leather seat.
The steering wheel is from myrtle in the U.K. . I like it but I don’t want to spend that kind of money on a steering wheel for my X type.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Front seat cover part #c2s14545

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-C2S14545

Rear seat cover part #c2s18127

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-C2S18127

Old 07-22-2018, 02:29 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi. I would not yearn too much for the plastic simulated wood steeringwheel. I bought one for my Rover and they are just as prone to damage as leather if not more and when scratched to bits with finger rings etc they look awful. Plus in brilliant sun they become far too hot to hold.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Hi. I would not yearn too much for the plastic simulated wood steeringwheel. I bought one for my Rover and they are just as prone to damage as leather if not more and when scratched to bits with finger rings etc they look awful. Plus in brilliant sun they become far too hot to hold.
you got one from Myrtle? I thought theirs where wood with a polyester lacquer....

Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Hi. No mine was a genuine Rover wheel which is called "wood" but in actual fact is composite with plastic wood finish..
If you have another look at the Myrtle site you will find it reads "wood finish" and not wood.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Well my steering wheel dreams came to a crashing halt. Two email replies in my inbox for quotes on redoing the leather parts on the existing wheel both near 400. For that cost I will buy the Myrtle wood wheel that may or may not be wood........I was out here in my driveway in the 300 degree Houston heat and what is left of the Gliptone mocha dye with a little sponge working on the wheel.

I go visit the auto upholsterer that did my headliner tomorrow and see if he can do anything on my seats for a reasonable price

Old 07-22-2018, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

I understand you've worked with another product on trying to repair your leather. But, look at and contact this company. Their products and processes are unbelievable!!

How to Re-dye Leather | Leatherique Restoration Products

Take a look at some of the restorations on their website. Some on even antique aged leather. By taking the steps of finish removal, repair, filling, conditioning, dying, and final finish it's pretty remarkable.

​​

Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

Then if I can make a suggestion, research Connolly leather care. My kids had BMWs and their leather in notorious for degrading. Particularly in the u.s. with the knotheads not knowing how to care for the heavier, thicker hides used in European car manufacturing. I bought a couple of Leatherique kits to repair and renew the front and rear seats and the door panels and 1 steering cover. Then used Connolly after that for treatment. It was remarkable, imo.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Hi. No mine was a genuine Rover wheel which is called "wood" but in actual fact is composite with plastic wood finish..
If you have another look at the Myrtle site you will find it reads "wood finish" and not wood.
for the record, the original Jaguar wood/leather steering wheel is not plastic - it is wood and leather. In a Jaguar, any and every Jaguar, if it looks like wood, it is wood. The gloss finish is a urethane type of finish but underneath that finish, wood/wood veneer. That holds for the wood fillets on the door panels and console/dash area as well. And the grain is different in every car simply because it IS natural wood, not synthetic.
The wood items in Range Rovers are also real wood.

JLR does not play with terms the way other manufacturers do...the "Artico leather" in Mercedes cars, for example...translation (in minuscule print after the asterisk at the bottom of the page): "synthetic leather".
the seating surfaces in a Jaguar are always leather, not vinyl - and depending on the trim level, the entire soft bits of the interior - dash, console, headliner, door panel inserts, the entire seat cover -front, back and sides- is also leather, not vinyl. This was not the case in the X-Type, however. In these cars only the seating surfaces and the headrests were leather.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
I understand you've worked with another product on trying to repair your leather. But, look at and contact this company. Their products and processes are unbelievable!!

How to Re-dye Leather | Leatherique Restoration Products

Take a look at some of the restorations on their website. Some on even antique aged leather. By taking the steps of finish removal, repair, filling, conditioning, dying, and final finish it's pretty remarkable.

​​
Dell, I have had excellent results with Leatherique in my 95 XJ-S convertible steering wheel which still looks perfect. I was not so lucky with the interior on that car and ended up buying a new Connolly interior for it as my restoration job was awful. Probably users error.

On the X type, however, the Gliptone has worked well, but only for a limited time. 6 months at the most. Maybe I will try to restore the wheel on the X type with a Leatherique wheel kit, since 400-500 dollars on a trim item in my daily driver is something I would prefer not to do.

Anyway, I did go ahead and re-dye the areas on the steering wheel and drivers seat with the leftover Gliptone I had and they do look very good—for now.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211

for the record, the original Jaguar wood/leather steering wheel is not plastic - it is wood and leather. In a Jaguar, any and every Jaguar, if it looks like wood, it is wood. The gloss finish is a urethane type of finish but underneath that finish, wood/wood veneer. That holds for the wood fillets on the door panels and console/dash area as well. And the grain is different in every car simply because it IS natural wood, not synthetic.
The wood items in Range Rovers are also real wood.

JLR does not play with terms the way other manufacturers do...the "Artico leather" in Mercedes cars, for example...translation (in minuscule print after the asterisk at the bottom of the page): "synthetic leather".
the seating surfaces in a Jaguar are always leather, not vinyl - and depending on the trim level, the entire soft bits of the interior - dash, console, headliner, door panel inserts, the entire seat cover -front, back and sides- is also leather, not vinyl. This was not the case in the X-Type, however. In these cars only the seating surfaces and the headrests were leather.

Yes, I do remember we had a PM conversation about this as well as proof from someone who breaks the X types and confirmed the leather surfaces by looking at the seat cover inside out. Real wood and real leather.

If I was buying that Myrtle wheel though, I would like to confirm it is real wood.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM

The Myrtle ad lists many steering wheels. Offered as Maple, Walnut, Elm and others as Walnut, Maple etc.. "finish" I suspect the "finish" ones are plastic .