X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Headlight alignment

Does anyone know how to correctly align the headlights. I was talking to a person who has the same car a 04. We were talking about joint problems we've had with the car, as me most of his were electric in origin. I started to tell him about my headlight, and how I got repair kits and my mechanic fixed them both. But I said we still can't get the headlights exactly alignment correct the right side is a tad lower, but just high enough to pass inspection. But not high enough for my taste. The person I was talking to said he had a problem with alignment also but his was because he tried to do it himself and it never came out correctly. He said if your HID self leveling motors work, which they do, but as I said the right one self levels but a tad to low. He took his to Jaguar and the service tech told him that each headlight has to be lowered down to 25" or a little lower and if the system is working correctly when you turn on the headlight they should recycle up to 26" plus. The tech continued to say when owners try to do this themselves they put too much tension on the adjusters and if they adjust them to the 26" at at object 10' away, they will go to high or if you adjust them to 27' or 28' inches when turned on they will jump down.

Anyone ever hear about this before. As always thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Thats bs. The adjusters are the manual adjustments. They have to be set correctly manually. The leveling system is assuming that the headlights are correctly level manually. Then the auto leveling system will auto level to this correct level. If you have them point down or up, the auto levleing system will level to this base manual setting

Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Now that you know the mechanics of the adjustment, if you want to know where they should be pointed take a look at the headlight adjustment articles at:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

The following users liked this post:
MeatBag (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default That's Peachy!

Originally Posted by plums
Now that you know the mechanics of the adjustment, if you want to know where they should be pointed take a look at the headlight adjustment articles at:

Thank you Plums, I've been messing about and never getting the alignment quite right - that should do the trick.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Smile Headlight Adjustment

Thanks you I kinda thought this guy explanation was far fetched. Anyone I know need to know, there seems to be up and down adjustments screws, on top of slam panel, they are white. How about the side to side adjustments? do the up and down "take care of the side to side." As I said my previous had bubbles level's and it was very easy to adjust. just like the bubbles up side to side and the vertical's and you were done. you need to e on flat ground of course.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by plums

I have a chart on the high and widths draw on a fence which I took for the state MV site, but I am going to look at your link and see if they are the same

Thanks to everyone for logical answers and a lesson. I was a College Professor for 26 years and like to learn things all the time.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Smile Headlights

Originally Posted by Brutal
Thats bs. The adjusters are the manual adjustments. They have to be set correctly manually. The leveling system is assuming that the headlights are correctly level manually. Then the auto leveling system will auto level to this correct level. If you have them point down or up, the auto levleing system will level to this base manual setting

Jagulars don't know all. It took them 3 weeks to find the correct windshile for my car. Then it was an 04 with rain sensors circle in the windshield, I down have rain sensors in my 03, the circle of clear glass looks cool and somehow they cover what was being it. If anything.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by adam lueb
thanks you i kinda thought this guy explanation was far fetched. Anyone i know need to know, there seems to be up and down adjustments screws, on top of slam panel, they are white. How about the side to side adjustments? Do the up and down "take care of the side to side." as i said my previous had bubbles level's and it was very easy to adjust. Just like the bubbles up side to side and the vertical's and you were done. You need to e on flat ground of course.
the side to side is the other adjuster that doesnt go up and down

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

For what its worth.... here are the current Australian Regulations for Motor Vehicles - with regard to Car Headlight Aiming;

If using a Target Surface; (say, the back wall in your Garage)

First, drive your car up close to the target wall.... then transfer & mark the centre-lines for both Low-beam Lights (vertical & horizontal) so that you have two crossed lines. (about 49 inches apart - for the X-Type)

Then, back the car away from the target wall (straight) so that the new position puts the front of the Car 16 Feet away from the target wall.

Switch on the Low Beam Lights and adjust the horizontal aim of each light so that they are lined-up and focus on the two Vertical Lines on the Target Wall.

Next, adjust the vertical aim of each light so that it is 2 inches below the Horizontal Line marked on the Target Wall.

Thats it ..... Job is done!

With the X-Type Headlight Assembly, it is not necessary to do any secondary adjustment for the Main Beam Lights - because they are on the same adjusting frame and plane - as the Low Beam Lights.

Of course, all of the above assumes that your Garage floor - is Flat & Level.

Hope this helps.....

Last edited by Lcgi; 04-06-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Of course, all of the above assumes that your Garage floor - is Flat & Level.

And that you don't live in Canada.

They don't remember what feet are... ;-)
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Heheheh, we don't use imperial dimensions either, I just went the extra yard for the colonials friends in USA. (this is a US forum after all)

However, for those on the Metric System.... just substitute the values given for:

1250mm = Low Beam Lights (Centres)
5000mm = Distance from Target Wall

50mm = Aim - below horizontal Line.

Not much I can do about Floor Levels in Canada mate... cept to say
Canadians are rarely "on the level"

Have a Safe and Happy Easter

Old 01-18-2021, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Beam Headlight Adjustment Question - which way to turn screws?

Hello All,
I have a 2004 X-Type with only 76,000 miles on it, but it seems to be plagued with electrical issues. I replaced the passenger side low beam bulb about 2 months ago and all was going well until yesterday when it's angle dropped considerably. I have seen from other posts where the adjustment screws are, but because they are known to be exceedingly brittle, I was hoping someone could let me know which direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) I should try to turn them to get the lowbeam to tilt further upward.

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl
Hello All,
I have a 2004 X-Type with only 76,000 miles on it, but it seems to be plagued with electrical issues. I replaced the passenger side low beam bulb about 2 months ago and all was going well until yesterday when it's angle dropped considerably. I have seen from other posts where the adjustment screws are, but because they are known to be exceedingly brittle, I was hoping someone could let me know which direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) I should try to turn them to get the lowbeam to tilt further upward.

Thanks much for any help you can provide.
If the angle has suddenly changed, then most likely the internal plastic parts broke and the light will need the internal parts replaced.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, the light continue to dim and finally went out. I'm guessing it's a fried socket. This happened on the driver's side a couple of years ago. I guess I should have replaced both of them then.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which adjuster does what?

I see a lot of discussion on headlight adjustment, but I can’t find any information about what each adjuster does. Taking my car to an MOT is not an option in the US, and dealerships will charge a minimum of one hour labor ($125) just to open the hood (bonnet). Does the inboard adjusters move the lights horizontally or vertically? All the manual says is to use the adjusters to align the lights

My high beam on the driver’s side it too far left, but the height is correct (I’ve replaced the inner adjustment parts)