Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help / Advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help / Advise

Hi All

As a new Jag owner I am in need of your help and advise if you can be so kind.

I have purchased a beautiful X-Type 2.0D (manual) and for the first couple of weeks, never had a problem and fell easily in love with my new way of life.

However, i have this week all of a sudden expierenced a few problems which I would like to share with you. If anyone can offer advise on any of the following it will be much appreciated...

Glow Plugs
Light was flashing on the dashboard yesterday and I lost power from the car. The car was driving but had no real power and struggled to go over 70
Bur come today the car is driving perfect.

Black smoke
I know it is a diesel but I am getting a lot of black smoke when I put my foot down. Can anything be done about this?

Gears
It takes a lot of muscle to get in to first and reverse gears. Is this a sign of anything bad?

Reverse parking sensors
When you select reverse you can initially hear a noise but that is it. Would it just be a fuse or something to get my reverse parking sensors to work?

Again, any help would be much appreciated
Thank you for reading.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 AM

sorry forgot to add also...

Passenger door does not always unlock from the key fob

Also

I put £20 diesel in and it took about 10 miles for this to FULLY register

Does anyone else have these problems and can advise what I need to do?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Trafford, welcome to the forums. I think we can help you out with your issues. I will start with the easiest and then go from there.

When filling up the car, make sure the key is in the OFF position. Do not leave it in the RUN position so you can hear the radio or the like. The fuel level gauge has a dampening circuit in it and if you leave the car on as you add gas, yes, it will take a few minutes for it to reach a final steady state.

As for the passenger door lock, the lock is actuated by a cable and if that cable gets a little bit of muck in it, it will drag, leading to what you are seeing. To fix, you need to pull the door panel off, spray a little bit of lube into the cable and all will be good.

The parking sensor issue. I would first start with setting the e-brake really good (parked on level ground) and then putting the car in REVERSE with the ignition key in the RUN position (engine not running). Now, get out and look at your reverse lights. Are they on? If no, then odds are you have a bad reverse light switch on the tranny. If the reverse lights are on, put your ear next to each of the 4 backup sensors. You should hear a high pitch squeal/chirp. If you come across a sensor that is not chirping, that is your bad sensor, replace the sensor. Then see what you have. If these two things do not fix your problem, let us know and we will give you a few more things to check.

As for the tranny, not really up on that. So, I will leave that to one of the other members.

As for the glow plug light and smoking that you are encountering, that can be a few different things. I would first start with putting the car on a code reader to see if you are getting any codes to pop up (should because of the flashing glow plug light). That will help narrow things down some. One question that I do have is whether the motor seems to roll over slower than normal or if it nice and snappy. We have experienced issues with this car when the battery starts to get weak that it will cause the car to act funny and give random problems like you are seeing. If you are not sure, you can put a multimeter across the battery and then while watching the multimeter, you should see it go from 12.6 VDC with the car off, drop to around 11.5-12.0 VDC as you are cranking the engine, then jump to around 14.4 VDC right after the engine catches and then finally settling out around 13.7 VDC. If the voltage while cranking the engine drops to around 11.0 VDC or lower, then your battery is starting to go. The other check is to take a look at the battery cables and make sure that they look good. Another one of the common problems we see with the car. They are fairly easy to replace and if you can do them yourself, not that costly to do.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 AM

Thank you for your reply, fantastic feedback and I will get on the case the weekend.

On the glow plug issue and the loss of power. I have been advised else where that the Jag has a safety mode and this seems to have been engaged?

Can anyone tell me more about the safety mode on these cars?