X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with air intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with air intake manifold

. Hi all . i am completely new to working on cars and to be utterly honest this is the first time I have ever taken a spanner to one so please make it as easy
as possible for me.

I have a 2001 jaguar x type 2.1 litre rhd petrol car. 60000 miles

Ok so far this is what I have been up to. Plan of attack is to replace the 6 coils on the car as it has been knocking and running on possibly 5 cylinders with the engine not running very well. I figured that this, as well as changing the spark plugs would be a good starting point.
Now the part that I am stuck on is this (forgive me for my lack of technical terms). I have taken of the inlet manifold and from that there are several hoses but there is one which I believe is a vacuum hose with a t connector on it that I believe goes to the breaks. Well I snapped the plastic connect right off and now having a dog trying to get it off. Is there any easy way to get these tubes off. I have tried snips and twisting and pulling etc plus screwdrivering. Plus there is some sort of filter thing on it , like a disc. Could someone tell me the name of this thing and what it does?
Sorry for all the basic questions but as mentioned earlier, I am learning.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

As someone that knows nothing about your year and model, pics would be of help.

I have in the past snapped off vacuum fittings where the hard plastic remains inside the hose. I found that running a wood or metal screw into the center of the remaining plastic at least gave me something to grab with pliers or vice grips.
A little soap and water acts as a lubricant as well (and isn't harmful to rubber), so you could dab some around the fittings while you try to loosen them.
Don't know the Disk in general but if in a vacuum line, they tend to be one of two things. A restricter, or a one way check valve.

Best of luck on your task. Replacing all 6 coils (I assume they reside on top the spark plugs) was probably unnecessary. I would have just done the plugs as you can learn a ton about your motor from them.... If the problem remained, it would be easy to find the one coil at fault.

I hope those far more familiar with your car step up and offer better advise.

Vince

Originally Posted by Lubino Do Rego
. Hi all . i am completely new to working on cars and to be utterly honest this is the first time I have ever taken a spanner to one so please make it as easy
as possible for me.

I have a 2001 jaguar x type 2.1 litre rhd petrol car. 60000 miles

Ok so far this is what I have been up to. Plan of attack is to replace the 6 coils on the car as it has been knocking and running on possibly 5 cylinders with the engine not running very well. I figured that this, as well as changing the spark plugs would be a good starting point.
Now the part that I am stuck on is this (forgive me for my lack of technical terms). I have taken of the inlet manifold and from that there are several hoses but there is one which I believe is a vacuum hose with a t connector on it that I believe goes to the breaks. Well I snapped the plastic connect right off and now having a dog trying to get it off. Is there any easy way to get these tubes off. I have tried snips and twisting and pulling etc plus screwdrivering. Plus there is some sort of filter thing on it , like a disc. Could someone tell me the name of this thing and what it does?
Sorry for all the basic questions but as mentioned earlier, I am learning.

The following users liked this post:
Lubino Do Rego (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lubino, when removing the vacuum lines. what you need to do is to lift up on the little plastic ring around the hose and while lifting up, lift up on the hose too. This should allow it to slide right out. In your case since the line is already broken, you will need a new one of those. I would say to use a screw and use that to get ahold of the remaining portion of the line.

The line that you broke is the brake booster vacuum line.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Coffy (05-01-2012), Lubino Do Rego (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 AM

Really appreciate the help from both of you. In my excitement at eventually getting to the coils an spark plugs, I did not look at them carefully and mixed them all up. As such I lost all that information that the sparks would have given me.
I have more or less located the coil at fault as being the left hand coil on bank 1. I heard from a mechanic that the coils tend to go after 60,000 miles hence the decision to replace them. My plan was to replace all 6 of them however only 3 were available.
If for some reason the fault is not repaired then my thoughts are to check the temperature of the metal using a heat sensor gun to check which one is not working.

The care is an x type jaguar 2 liter petrol with 60k on the clock. I am hoping to work out how to update my profile. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lubino, I have been messing around with the Jaguar/Ford coils for many years now. From my experience, if you look at the top of the coils, they have a clear resin top to them. As long as that is not cracked, the odds of a coil failing is pretty small. If you don't see a crack in the top, then it most likely is good. If you doubt a coil, install it on the driver's front corner of the engine (as it is for your RHD car). That coil can be accessed without having to remove anything and makes replacing it super easy if it is bad.

I have also found that if you have a cylinder that isn't quite running 100%, if you do a long hard acceleration, this normally gives the computer enough information that it will give you a misfire code on the cylinder having issues. Trying to accelerate up a hill also helps with tossing the code.

Lubino Do Rego (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM

Cheers Thermo. I have put the car back together again minus the vacuum pipe. The pipe is the hard pipe that comes out of the manifold and connects via a t connector to I imagine the brakes on the passengers front side and also to some black circular thing behind the brake fluid reservoir. The car turns over badly but I think this may because the pipe is missing. Of course, to boot, I don't have brakes as yet but I am all excited as I get the part tomorrow and hopefully things will be better. If not I will try to reset the codes and check the new faults.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM

ok vacuum pipe for the servo assisted breaks put on. I must have a vacuum leak somewhere as the brakes can only be pumped a few times before losing servo assist. Not sure if this is normal when the car is stationary but will try it on my other car to confirm this.
Will look to getting some more work done on the car on Friday. I think i may get to an end result soon. Well fingers crossed and other people helping too.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Lubino:
Check out this post just to make sure you have all the items necessary for the vacuum pipe on the manifold side of the house...
BTW: the O-Ring shouldn't be broken like mine was

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...anifold-71249/

HTHs
Gary

Lubino Do Rego (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM

I had a thought which is to locate that leak using fairy liquid. That info came in very useful on the o ring. Is it quite easy to get to that o ring?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't use washing up liquid since that could get sucked into the engine... I used Brake cleaner and noticed the engine change pitch when i slowly sprayed near the fitting.
You have to pull the black plastic ring up first, wiggle it til the fingers start letting go then pull it out. once out you'll see the o-ring lurking down in there, be careful not to knock it down into the manifold
Good luck
Gary

Lubino Do Rego (05-04-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I used Brakecleaner and noticed the engine change pitch

A can of starter fluid works even better. Just aim, spray liberally, and wait for the engine to noticeably speed up. Even a little spray getting sucked in will "goose" the engine.

Plus there is nothing to clean up since the over-spray will just cleanly evaporate away.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Lubino Do Rego (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks guys, that is that problem all sorted. Now working on a new lot of issues. Will try and check out the other forum posts for help on these.
thanks a million for all the help.