X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Check Engine Light On & Cold Ac Is Not Working - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP - Check Engine Light On & Cold Ac Is Not Working - FIXED

A mechanic friend of mines just replaced a leaking upper coolant hose assembly I purchased from Jaguar (new thermostat & thermostat housing included). After getting that done he was going through the procedure of getting the dex-cool antifreeze and water mixture back into the cooling system. After a few start ups and shut offs my check engine light came on & my instrument panels temperature gauge started to rise towards the "hot" side. I also noticed later during the evening after starting the car back up that my cold air conditioning wasn't working (Heater still worked). Also, after opening up the hood while the ac was running I noticed the fans weren't operating.

After doing some research on here I came across a few people that needed to change their fan control modules to remedy their problems. I'm posting up to see if I can get a few more opinions & suggestions before I start tinkering on it once again. I've been without a vehicle for the past week & I'm starting to get a little depressed so any help would be truly appreciated.

Mahalos from the 808 state & I look forward to your inputs!

Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 AM

Also, if suggestions are made. quick descriptions on how to check on something or replacement procedures are appreciated as well.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:25 PM

bump

Old 11-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible the modules or the connections to the fans could have gotten wet during the coolant removal or replacement?

Maybe trying to dry them off might get them working again.... Just a thought

The following users liked this post:
funkdoktor (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM

thanks striker27. where is the control module located?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

funkdoktor, first things first, check the plugs to the fan control module. If you open the hood, find the battery. If you look on the corner of the radiator right by the battery, you will see an electrical module there (about 3x5" in size). There are 4 plugs. Check all 4.

Once you have verified all the plugs are good, what I want you to do is to open the hood of your car. Now, start the car and put the A/C to the coldest temp you can set it to and the dash fan on the fastest speed you can put it in. This will force the fans to run at max speed. Get out of the car (motor still running) and see how much air you are getting. You should be getting what a bit of air (pushing the hair back on your head if you are leaning over the engine slightly). If the fans are not running, do the quick check to verify that the fuse is not blown. But, after that, odds are your fan module bit the dust. Very rarely do we see this sort of problem being something else.

The following users liked this post:
funkdoktor (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by funkdoktor
thanks striker27. where is the control module located?
Originally Posted by Thermo
funkdoktor, first things first, check the plugs to the fan control module. If you open the hood, find the battery. If you look on the corner of the radiator right by the battery, you will see an electrical module there (about 3x5" in size). There are 4 plugs. Check all 4.

Once you have verified all the plugs are good, what I want you to do is to open the hood of your car. Now, start the car and put the A/C to the coldest temp you can set it to and the dash fan on the fastest speed you can put it in. This will force the fans to run at max speed. Get out of the car (motor still running) and see how much air you are getting. You should be getting what a bit of air (pushing the hair back on your head if you are leaning over the engine slightly). If the fans are not running, do the quick check to verify that the fuse is not blown. But, after that, odds are your fan module bit the dust. Very rarely do we see this sort of problem being something else.
thank you thermo. where can i find the fuse? i know there is a fuse box located under the hood but after looking at it yesterday i seen that there was no description on the plastic cover saying what fuse is for what.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM

I think the problem is fixed now. One of the plugs that go to the fan control module was disconnected. plugged it back in & it seems to be running fine. I let the car idle for around 15 minutes & the temperature gauge didn't go past half way.

one thing though is that my check engine light is still on? i'm hoping its from that since my check engine light wasn't on prior to replacing the upper hose assembly. is this normal or should i get it checked out?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

funkdoktor, I would tell you to lift one of the battery terminals (preferably the negative one) and leave it disconnected for about 5 minutes. This will clear the memory from the car. Before you do this, have the radio code handy just in case. Most of the time it doesn't ask for it, but some times, it will. After the 5 minutes, reconnect the battery lead and then start up the car. See if the CEL light clears. It should. If it comes back, then you have another issue. The best advice that I can give you is to get the codes read and then we can take it from there.

After lifting the battery lead, you will also need to reset your power windows. This is easy. Doing 1 window at a time, press and hold the window control down. Keep it depressed for an additional 3-4 seconds after the window has stopped moving. Repeat in the up direction (again, holding in the up position for 3-4 seconds after the window is all the way up). Repeat for each window, one at a time.

You should be good after this.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM

thanks thermo. its rainy here in honolulu so i'll do the battery procedure as soon as the sky clears up a bit.