X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with disconnected electrical connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with disconnected electrical connection

Doing a little engine cleanup today and I found a loose connector. If you pull up the picture you'll see a green circle. That's the connector. The red circle is the plastic protective tubing that this connector comes out of. It says J Box. All of this comes out of the fuse box just to the right. Anybody have any idea what this connects to and where the location is? I bought the car back in November of last year and noticed it just recently but I don't see any issues with the car. I appreciate the help. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Help with disconnected electrical connection-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-01-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

jaguila, this question gets asked a lot. That plug is the one that they use when shipping the car from England to anywhere else to keep a charge on the battery. If you look on the back of the battery box, you should see a spot that it plugs into. They did this so the plug would not be just floating around. It does nothing for your car now. Keep it out of the way and call it good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Jaguila (01-31-2014), Stuart Beattie (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Just a kindly suggestion: you might want to service your battery terminals to prevent future electrical issues (preventive maintenance)

Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting point, Jaguilla!!

I noticed this a while back and plugged it back in, Chris, (Thermo), are you saying to keep it unplugged like seal it off with a bag/ziptie or something?

Well done for your observation, I forgot about it and I'm glad you asked.

Cheers, Stu

Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Stuart, nope, just plug it back into the battery box where the factory meant it to be plugged in. There are no electrical connections there for it to make up. It is a dummy receptacle that was formed into the battery box.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers Chris,

I have to shift my *ss over your way to buy you a large beer, you are always there, I hope you are not working all the hours these days?

Thanks again, My Regards, Stu

Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Stuart, if you ever make it to Washington DC, let me know. I am an hour south of there and I am sure I can find a good pub or two to visit (granted, there is one that I am thinking of right now that serves a pound of deep fried bacon with everything that you order, MMMMMMMMM).

As for the long hours, well, that is hit and miss. I just got off of a week of 12 on/12 off due to an incident that happened at work. Now I should have a few weeks off and then we are starting an outage. So, that will be 5 weeks of 12 on/12 off. C'est la vie. That is the life of what I do. But, I should hopefully be done with the long hours at work and putting them into the house doing some electrical upgrades (converting the whole house over to LED lighting using custom components). Then I will have a deck to build on to the back of the house come April. Then the fall/winter will be finishing the basement and getting that setup.

Sleep is what you do when you die. Until then, burn the candle at both ends and attempt to light the center on fire. Or, if you are a George Carlin fan, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!" I plan on arriving at the end saying just this. Too many things in life to not try and enjoy each and every one of them.

Stuart Beattie (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris,

That was a surprising but very entertaining reply, you are quite a guy!!

Re the LED lights, that sounds to me like an AUDI house, ha ha!

Boy you have your work cut out but I really admire your ethics and essence and as I said you are "always THERE!" at hand to help others and I cannot say how much kudos, you add to this forum and your sound advice cuts many bills for so many members!

Psss, have you thought of having your own forum?

Damn, someone is watching!!!

Seriously though, if someone is dishing out awards, Chris, You get my vote!

Thank you, you seem to have it all worked out, alas it may not feel that way after those 12 hour shifts!!

The beer is ON, don't know when but Fionas'' daughter is in California, (Mission Viejo)so when we do come out, well have a grand tour ahem, as long as I can hire a decent motor, maybe a Jaguar??

Thermo, keep that bacon sizzling, that beer nice and cool and we shall carry on living the Dream and please remember you are now part of that dream,don't change, you are far too valuable to do that and PRICELESS TO THE FORUM!
Ps, i am away to find George Carlin on youtube, watch this space:...
Cheers, Stu

Old 02-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
...I just got off of a week of 12 on/12 off due to an incident that happened at work...
...Sleep is what you do when you die. Until then, burn the candle at both ends ... Too many things in life to not try and enjoy each and every one of them.
The fact that Thermo's nickname is a contraction of Thermonuclear, it makes me a bit concerned when he mentions "an incident that happened at work", followed by a long treatise on short lives.

Rather than ask any specific questions, may I ask the following general questions, Chris: Should I buy replacement Oil Filters for my X-Type one at a time, or should I splurge and by a whole case? Also, how do you feel about green bananas?

Attached Thumbnails Help with disconnected electrical connection-dr-strangelove.jpg  
Stuart Beattie (02-02-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Bruce, actually, Thermo is short for Thermomonkey which is something that I picked up during my time in the Navy. Thermomonkey is actually short for Thermostatic monkey which I got complements of an officer I used to work with since he thought we were nothing more than trained monkeys. But, I digress.

Atleast working where I do and as you have seen, I have a "glowing" personality. LMAO. Just call me the human nightlight. He he he he he. Ironically, I get less radiation exposure than most people do working say an IT job. Amazing how much radiation is emitted by various things that we touch every day. The big difference is I know how much I get exposed to and others have no idea.

As for a case of filters or not, that is up to you. Yes, you can probably save a little bit getting a whole case vice buying them one at a time. But, then, now you have to figure out where to store a case of filters for the next 3 years. That is up to you.

As for green bananas, Mmmmmmmmm. Remember, it is easier to open a banana from the end opposite that of the stem than it is to opening it from the stem end. Try it some time. Us monkeys know how to make life very easy.

Stuart, keep your eyes open. Maybe some day you will see me running for President. Granted, I don't see me winning just because what I would want to put into place would make being a politician ethically correct and actually make them earn what they should be. Granted, also some of my policies would make way too much sense and therefore would never get enacted (can't have something that the common man would understand and be able to follow, must have something wrong with it). If I become president, oh is the world going to be tossed on its head. He he he he he.

Stuart Beattie (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I might have a loose wire under my bonnet, too ...

... but I have no idea what a Thermostatic Monkey is.

Is this a photo of one of your co-workers?

Attached Thumbnails Help with disconnected electrical connection-k-bigpic.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran member

Bruce, yes, I might know him. But, those are from my submarine days and if I told you his name, I might have to kill you. He he he he he.

As for the name, getting to play "Homer Simpson" is fun. In short, I control the temperature (not the power) of the reactor. So, I am essentially an overpaid thermostat. Then since the officer said I was nothing more than a trained monkey, I put these two things together to make Thermostatic Monkey. I shortened it to "Thermomonkey" to make it easier to say. Since then, people have shortened it even more to just Thermo.

P.S. The temp scale is off by a factor of 10. Cold water to me is something in the 200F range. Most would argue with me with that being cold. But, it is all relative. But, when you play with the power of the sun, a lot of things change.

Stuart Beattie (02-03-2014)