Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with mechanical issues??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help with mechanical issues??

Hi,
So my check engine light came on and I took my car to a local Jag mechanic and he "smoked" the engine and said that my gaskets need to be replaced. It was going to cost me $650+ bucks. No way in hell am I paying that much, I'm a broke college student! Anyway, I have already purchased a set of front brakes and rotors to put on, and now I need to replace the gaskets for my check engine light to go off. (The codes were 171 & 174.) Can anyone tell me how to do this? Obviously I don't want to f-up my car, (17 year old girl who doesn't know wtf she is doing when it comes to cars) but my dad has worked on all of his, so he said that he would be doing most of the labor. Does anyone have any resources/tips/instructions on how to replace these gaskets, and where to purchase the parts. I have a 2002 X-Type automatic 2.5L engine with 105k miles.
Thanks!
Sarah

Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi Sarah, this post moved to the X type section for you for better results

Good luck

Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sarah, first off, Welcome to the X-Type Section. I think you are going to like this site as it has lots of useful information and we can teach you how to do a lot of things to your car. We can teach you to do just about anything with this car. So, sit back, listen to what we say and we will steer you in the right direction.

As for your problem. Before we start ripping the engine apart, I recommend taking a look at a few other things before the gaskets that you have been told that need replacing. Something that I want you to get your hands on is a cardboard tube like what paper towels are rolled on (or if you can, something like a 2 foot piece of garden hose or any other similar tube that is flexible). There are 3 spots on your car that are likely suspects for this problem that you are suffering from. What you are going to do is to hold one end of the tube near your ear (do not form a seal, just need to hold it close) and then run the other end near the below spots:

-if you stand near the front passenger tire and look at the engine, you will see 2 black circles (about 4" in diameter) on the top of the engine looking straight at you. Run the tube around the edge where the silver and black meet on both pieces. These are your IMT valves (they make your engine make more power at higher RPMs)
-If you look at the top of the engine back near the windshield, you will see a black tube coming off the top of the engine about the diameter of a pencil running to in front of the driver (brake booster). Run the tube along this hose, paying special attention to the bulb in the center of the tube.
-Finally, remove the plastic cover off of the top of the engine (3 screws hold it in place and you will need to remove the oil fill cap to get the cover off). Front/center of the engine you will see where it says "JAGUAR" on a black box. That box has a big tube coming off of it running back to the engine. If you look just to the left of that (down about 4" also), you will see a big black tube about the diameter of your thumb running from the engine to the intake of the car. On the under side of that tube, run your hand acrossed it and see if you can feel the tube being split. If you need to, remove the tube with the engine turned off. It is just pressed on to each end and removes fairly easy (this tube is called the PCV hose).

When you are using the tube to listen to the areas I mention, what you are listening for is a sucking sound. When you hear it, you will know what I am talking about. These 3 spots are the "common spots" if you are going to have your issue, that you will find your problem at.

Have your dad watch the video about the intake o-rings. They are fairly easy to do, but plan on setting aside about 3 hours. Also keep in mind that the Lincoln LS 3.0L motor uses the same gaskets and can be had for much cheaper than what Jaguar is going to try to get you to pay (Jaguar wants about $15 an O-ring - which you will need 12 of them - or you can go to your local auto parts store, get the Felpro o-rings and they will be about $25 for a set of 6 or $50 total). If you do some looking, we have posted the exact part numbers that you would need to order.

If you need more help, let us know. We can talk you through just about anything. We have all been there, done a lot of things.

The following 4 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (11-11-2013), mohrd (11-13-2013), Pinecone (11-12-2013), robiwhan (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

BAM - As if on cue one ofthe X type gurus steps in Sarah.

Hope you come back and let us know how it all goes.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Sarah, first off, Welcome to the X-Type Section. I think you are going to like this site as it has lots of useful information and we can teach you how to do a lot of things to your car. We can teach you to do just about anything with this car. So, sit back, listen to what we say and we will steer you in the right direction.

As for your problem. Before we start ripping the engine apart, I recommend taking a look at a few other things before the gaskets that you have been told that need replacing. Something that I want you to get your hands on is a cardboard tube like what paper towels are rolled on (or if you can, something like a 2 foot piece of garden hose or any other similar tube that is flexible). There are 3 spots on your car that are likely suspects for this problem that you are suffering from. What you are going to do is to hold one end of the tube near your ear (do not form a seal, just need to hold it close) and then run the other end near the below spots:

-if you stand near the front passenger tire and look at the engine, you will see 2 black circles (about 4" in diameter) on the top of the engine looking straight at you. Run the tube around the edge where the silver and black meet on both pieces. These are your IMT valves (they make your engine make more power at higher RPMs)
-If you look at the top of the engine back near the windshield, you will see a black tube coming off the top of the engine about the diameter of a pencil running to in front of the driver (brake booster). Run the tube along this hose, paying special attention to the bulb in the center of the tube.
-Finally, remove the plastic cover off of the top of the engine (3 screws hold it in place and you will need to remove the oil fill cap to get the cover off). Front/center of the engine you will see where it says "JAGUAR" on a black box. That box has a big tube coming off of it running back to the engine. If you look just to the left of that (down about 4" also), you will see a big black tube about the diameter of your thumb running from the engine to the intake of the car. On the under side of that tube, run your hand acrossed it and see if you can feel the tube being split. If you need to, remove the tube with the engine turned off. It is just pressed on to each end and removes fairly easy (this tube is called the PCV hose).

When you are using the tube to listen to the areas I mention, what you are listening for is a sucking sound. When you hear it, you will know what I am talking about. These 3 spots are the "common spots" if you are going to have your issue, that you will find your problem at.

Have your dad watch the video about the intake o-rings. They are fairly easy to do, but plan on setting aside about 3 hours. Also keep in mind that the Lincoln LS 3.0L motor uses the same gaskets and can be had for much cheaper than what Jaguar is going to try to get you to pay (Jaguar wants about $15 an O-ring - which you will need 12 of them - or you can go to your local auto parts store, get the Felpro o-rings and they will be about $25 for a set of 6 or $50 total). If you do some looking, we have posted the exact part numbers that you would need to order.

If you need more help, let us know. We can talk you through just about anything. We have all been there, done a lot of things.
So I'm assuming that I'm going to be listening for this "sucking" sound while the engine is running?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sarahcassidygoulden
So I'm assuming that I'm going to be listening for this "sucking" sound while the engine is running?
Yes. And if he/you is/are going to be doing the intake 0 rings it would also be a good idea to put new spark plugs in at the same time, since you have to take the upper intake manifold off to get the back 3 spark plugs in anyway, and plugs are cheap. Good luck getting it running better, and welcome.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sarah, yes, this will be with the engine running. Like Justin says, this is a good time to do the spark plugs too. Not required, but if you have over 50K miles on the plugs, the cost is minimal when you look at the amount of time required to do the plugs.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

or just replace all the know vac leak issues wether leaking or not on the car along with spark plugs since youre at 105k and be done once and for all without worrying baout where and which ones. As Thermo said IMT orings(should be green not yellow or black) the green ones are sealant coated. you can undo the 2 8mm bolts on the top IMT valve and pull back to check. Usually if theyre green youll have a hard time even pulling the IMT valve back. replace the upper and especially the lower intake orings since the lower are the bigger issue for leaking. theyre bolted to the engine and smaller so they tend to get more damaged from heat, flatten out and leak. As pointed out if youve gone this far put new plugs in its only 6 and youve(uh dad) has done the labor. Go buy a breather hose(PCV ) new ribbed style at partsgeek.com for $28 and get a piece of 1" heat shrink tubinh and slip over the 1 way check valve on the brake booster vacuum pipe. Heat it to shrink and seal with either heatgun, blo dry or lighter. Rest assured youve taken care of ALL the common eventual sources in a day. OH and be sure to get beer for your dad when done and make a nice steak dinner. After all its why I bought Toyotas for my girls so I no longer had to work on their Jags
Now if I could just get my GF to buy a Toyota and sell her Stype...........

Last edited by Brutal; 11-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Justicejamesb (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Your Dad garners so much "cool" every time he works on your car from his buddies, friends and family, every time he so much as opens the hood of your Jag he should owe you a full tank of gas.