X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High speed slippage?

My first venture into Jaguar… always wanted to own one and this one came by for a great price so i snatched it up. In May 2013 I purchased a 2004 X-Type with 49,000 miles on it… LOVING every minute behind the wheel.

Heres my question Tranny wise, while there seems to be no issues I want to know if this is normal.
From a dead stop it takes off beautifully. Acceleration never seems to be an issue at slower speeds say under 50-55mph or over even if I am doing a smooth acceleration (don't tell anyone but Ive had the car up to 95 without a hitch, however twice now cruising on the highway at around 60-65 (already in top gear) when i went to punch it to pass someone or just to feel the thrill. I punched the pedal and the engine rpms went to like 5000-5500 but I felt no power, no push or lurch forward just a quick rpm increase. It did not feel like the car was slowing or speeding up, but I was kind of expecting a nice lung forward… Of course hearing the rev of the engine and the no real push in speed I quickly removed my foot from the gas and once it came back down to like 2300-2500 I felt the power back. The shifting otherwise is smoother than anything and the acceleration seems fine all otter times. I've never felt the car miss a gear or slip at all except when explained. Except for those instances the transmissions seems flawless. Am i just expecting too much or may there be a slippage issue starting?

Hope that made sense… now my question is, is this normal since I am already hitting like 2500 rpms + when Im at around 60 mph?

2004 X-Type 3.0 V6 automatic.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

joe, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here. So, grab yourself a cup of coffee, sit back, enjoy. But, we do ask a simple thing from you thought too. Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch and we like to pride ourselves in being a different car club. Part of this is getting to know you. This also gives you a chance to meet those that make this place work too.

As for your problem, it does seem a little strange as to why the car is not jumping when it downshifts. I know when my car downshifts, you can feel the car wanting to accelerate. So, it sounds like there is something amiss there. But, transmissions are not my strong point.

As for the engine RPM at 60 mph, that is about right. Our cars are geared slightly lower than most cars. So, this results in slightly higher engine RPMs. But, the nice thing about this is that you also get better take offs as more of the engine speed is converted to torque which is what gets things moving.

The following users liked this post:
joec (11-05-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Sorry about that i read 'Intro a Must' as Must read. Misunderstood.

Yeah I'm a bit baffled as to this because it has only happened when I was already up to Hwy speed+ like i said its got plenty of guts even from a dead stop.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Does it downshift like it should? Or do the RPM's just skyrocket? The reason I ask is one could possibly be fluid, while the other sounds like a a problem with the TCM….

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM

seems there was no down shifting when it happened. almost as if I was in neutral. when the rpms come back down all is fine. So far it has only happened twice and as I stated when I am already above like 65-70mp. This is the only time I have noticed this. All else foot punching wise is very accelerating, like from a stop or even at like 40-50mph. NO noticable slippage or mis shifting or anything always feels very solid other than the two imea at higher speed i mentioned.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Is there any difference in perfomance or downshifting if you select Sport Mode with the 'S' Press Button to the side of the stick? It should light up red when pressed and give a sharper response from the engine and transmission.

Also, while parked with the engine off, can you, if you press the accelerator pedal gently, but firmly all the way to the floor, feel the kickdown switch engage? On the highway, that point should cause things to happen both in and out of Sport mode.

The following users liked this post:
Justicejamesb (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Yes in Sport mode there is a performance difference as it should, kinda like driving in sport mode most of the time, just for the feel... Funny it happened again last night as I wanted to kick it up a notch just starting to go up a small overpass hill at only like 35-40 mph. Haven't tried the pedal to the floor yet while parked... will try that this evening. I have tried similar , but not to the floor and upwards of 5000rpm did not notice and switch engaging. but will be more attuned now that I know am looking to feel or hear it.