X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I enable the fibre optic network?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I enable the fibre optic network?

Hi, as a newbie, I need all the help I can get.
If you have read my intro you will realise that I am now the proud owner of an unexpectedly basic 2005 X Type diesel sport estate.
In an attempt to add to my driving joy I want to start adding a few gizmos, and have been advised that the easiest would be a CD Multichanger. I have sourced this, and found all the leads needed inside the boot. The audio unit is not touch screen but has the CDC button and should support it ok.
Ok, you all know what's coming now, but it took me by surprise... it does not work. I have been advised to take it to a dealer, spend lots of money and get the fibre optic network enabled because the CDC is the only thing on it!
Is this a job that I can do myself? What does enabling the network actually entail?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

check this thread - it should give you the information you need.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ramming-62231/

Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Oscar,

Before you get too crazy trying to retrofit a CD changer that doesn't interface with the OEM fiber optic network, can you check to see whether or not your car has the Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) already installed? Get a look at my ACM page here:

Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

and see the photo in the "installation" section. If you have that device in your center console, you're home free. That would allow you to connect an iPod/iPhone or other media player, or you could connect an aftermarket CD changer to it instead. In my opinion, once the ACM is present, there's not much sense in adding any CDC, OEM or aftermarket. Just connect any media player, and you'll have much more storage for music than any 6 or 10-disc changer would ever allow.

You might also check to see what kind of speaker and amplifier options are in your car. I don't know whether or not the "premium" Alpine amp and speaker setup was available in the UK estate version of the car (anyone?), but this does not require that the touch-screen head unit to be present. The Alpine speakers actually say "Alpine" on the door speaker grills. That premium setup would make the difference - again, this is just my opinion - in whether or not I'd stick with the stock head unit or upgrade to another one with the features that you're targeting with an aftermarket CDC or an add-on ACM. Because the premium setup uses an amp that is on the fiber optic network, it would complicate matters to replace both the head unit and the premium setup's amp with an aftermarket head unit or amp. Besides, the premium setup actually sounds pretty good. (Again, that's my opinion, and I know others on this forum have been pretty vocal about expressing a differing view, regardless of their actual experience with the premium setup.)

I haven't seen or heard it, but I believe that there was also a base stereo that did not have a separate amp or subwoofers, but had a head-unit with a lower-powered, built-in amp. I'd probably replace that with a new head unit.

So to summarize:

If you have the ACM already installed, then add a portable media player of some kind. Or add an aftermarket CDC, if you're really so inclined.

If you don't have the ACM, but you do have the premium Alpine speaker and amp setup, you'd do well to consider adding the ACM.

If you have the absolute base stereo setup, then consider a new head unit.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

not sure of the cost with the route you are wanting to go but unless you have to have cds id go with a ipod touch and an adapter kit for stock radio or even get a new unit. and a ipod adapter for that brand unit. i have a bout 400 cds. i put all the songs i wanted on my ipod 32g even movies and pics and can access all on my dvd unit with the touch screen. you can hide the ipod like a cd changer or leave it out in the open as i do.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The Jaguar Radio head unit will not recognize the CD changer in the boot until it is configured to look for it. You will need a WDS, IDS etc. to ENABLE the CD changer.

Every time you add or remove a component for the D2B network, you need to configure the head unit.

bob gauff

Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cd changer retrofit

Hi Oscar, have you been able to activate the fibre optic in your jag? I want to upgrade my basic head unit to accept a cd changer and i have all parts, but not connected it yet. The dealership are charging £80 to configure, which i think is too much, considering it takes about 10 mins to do.
Regards.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM

Hi Bob, what if i upgrade from a basic stereo unit to a satnav unit, do i need to configure the head unit each time I add a component to the network.
I didn't have this problem with my c220 merc.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM

All these documents are in the large file area for download.

Try these.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT419-09 Navigation System.pdf (97.9 KB, 241 views)
418-00 Communications Network.pdf (237.4 KB, 514 views)
The following users liked this post:
Mrqng78 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 01:17 PM

Hi Bob, thanks for the info, will find time to go through all the documents and see what it offers.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:06 PM

The TSBs and other documents I uploaded to the large file area are, for the most part, North American related info.

Many are 'global' but some are market specific.

Just wanted you to be aware as I live in the US and there are specs for each Country, especially emissions components and security frequencies.

bob

Old 03-11-2016, 05:51 AM

Hi all, i find it very unfair by Jag that owners of Sat Nav head units can program an additional accessory to the fibre optic network whereas owners of basic head units have to go into the dealership to get it programmed and get charged £££££s.
I would love to hear from anyone that has attempted to add a cd changer to the fibre optic network using the basic head unit to programme it without going to the dealers to hook up to their diagnostic equiptment.
Regards.

Last edited by Mrqng78; 03-11-2016 at 05:52 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 03-12-2016, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I've added components to the network like a CD changer, Voice and converted to Navigation and I never had to program anything. I just built the fiber optic harness in the proper order and the system automatically recognized what was on the loop.

The fiber connectors do come apart with a small jewellers type screwdriver to lift the plastic tab and then the harness can be changed to accommodate whatever components are on it. I just buy random harnesses on ebay and then take them apart and back together to suit what I need.

Mrqng78 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Angry

Hi Jagboi, what model spec do you have, did yours originally come with a cd changer and phone on the basic radio head unit? I have connected my cd changer with the appropriate extra fibre optic cable to the existing fibre optic in the boot to complete the loop as it's only 1 accessory at moment. The cd changer powers up with cartridge able to insert and eject, but when the cdc button is pressed it doesn't read the cd changer, nothing happens.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:06 AM

Hi motorcarman, thanks for the information you provided, but unfortunately it doesn't have what i am looking for, so still on the hunt before the dealership steals all my hard earned ££££s.
Regards Reginald.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrqng78
Hi motorcarman, thanks for the information you provided, but unfortunately it doesn't have what i am looking for, so still on the hunt before the dealership steals all my hard earned ££££s.
Regards Reginald.
I know it SEEMS like what you want to do should be simple and easy, but unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. To say the dealership is stealing your money by charging what it does to solve your problem seems a little extreme to me. I'm not defending dealers, there are good ones and not so good ones, but they do have a level of expertise and sometimes it's worth paying for that expertise. Maybe this is one of those times. Yeah, that is a good chunk of change and no one likes to spend money, but you take it in there and it can be made to work in a few minutes and you can start enjoying your changer right away instead of searching and searching for another way. How much is your time and frustration worth vs. getting it done? Maybe try some other dealers and see if they would charge less. Good luck, hope it works out for you soon.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrqng78
Hi Jagboi, what model spec do you have, did yours originally come with a cd changer and phone on the basic radio head unit?
It was a 2005 Canadian VDP model, now that I think about it it had the CD changer and premium sound, and I added phone and nav.

The other one I did was a 2007, also Canadian "luxury pack" and it had premium sound and phone, but not CD changer or nav. I added the CD, Nav and Voice and didn't have to program the car, it just recognized the components.

Mrqng78 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:49 AM

Hi Jagboi, that's the difference in what i think is unfair, because mine did not originally come any accessory, the fibre optic wasn't activated by jag, however my car was wired from the factory to receive phone and cd changer. In your case the fibre optic was activated because you initially had a cd changer before you added phone and nav, in the other case the fibre optic was activated because you had a phone, hence in both cases the fibre optic was activated hence the reason you were able to add accessories to it so long as the fibre optic forms a complete loop.
I don't think i have a choice, so i have booked my Jag in to be activated next month.
Regards Reginald .

Old 03-13-2016, 04:57 AM

Hi Alphadude, i am willing to pay to get my cd changer activated, but i still think is unfair to install the fibre optic wiring in the car to receive both phone and cd changer only not to activate the product, what difference is it going to make to the price of the car by not activating the fibre optic. I don't have a choice, so i have booked my Jag to be activated next month.
Regards Reginald.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:29 PM

Hi Jagboi, did you encounter any problems with the boot trim that accommodates the cd changer? my boot trim is slightly smaller on the cut out where the trim should fit around the cd changer facia.
Regards Reginald.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:11 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Find a local Jag guy. You can go to a dealer but it'll cost you an arm and a leg. He'll connect your car to his laptop and enable your DC changer. My guy did my ACM and it took him 5 minutes and I gave him $30.
Good luck.

Mrqng78 (03-15-2016)

Quick Reply: How can I enable the fibre optic network?