X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Is The Fatory Alpine System Worth Used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How Much Is The Fatory Alpine System Worth Used?

I am trying to buy a Alpine System out of a wrecked 05 X Type. Its the premium but without Navigation. The head unit looks like all the rest. But the speakers say Alpine on the grills. And it has the Tweeters in the door handles. How much should I pay?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,834 Likes on 3,152 Posts

Mark, looking on e-bay for used radios like what you are after, the radios are selling for anywhere from $50 up to about $200. Most seem to be around the $70-100 range.

As for the speakers, honestly, go out and pick yourself up some component speakers and install those. You will get much better sound and odds are you will end up spending about the same amount of money. Doing a search on E-bay, the going price for the speakers is $30-35 a speaker. Keep in mind that the front doors have 2 speakers in each door. So, you are looking at buying 8 speakers (4 for the front, 4 for the rear). You can get some decent component speakers for that price and they will be brand new. Also, this is not taking into account if you are planning on getting the subwoofers for the rear deck too. That will be another $165 for the speakers/box. The nice thing about using the factory subs is that you just have to plug into the wiring that is already there.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Scotton (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:49 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Have you seen my thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-faq-64614/ ?

The Premium Sound from an 05 can be summarised like this;

1. Head unit; same as the non-premium, so it's probably not needed, however we heard from a couple of guys in the UK that the early cars have compatibility issues with the amp, bringing on a Pecus B error. So if you can get the head unit for peanuts, it's worth it. If you had a late '04 or newer model it wouldn't bring anything.

2. The amp, to me they are worth no more than $150

3. Speakers, as Thermo said they're not worth much. However what is worth getting are the door handles, so you can mount the tweeters in the factory position.

4. Subs, in my mind are worth a bit more, because the factory Alpine subs came in a special mounting bracket which just slots into the rear parcel shelf. To fit individual 6.5" subs in the factory position is a total PITA. I'd pay $150 for the factory subs. You should also try to get hold of the parcel shelf (if the colour matches your car).

5. Wiring; this is the killer. The cars with Premium Sound have a completely different cabin wiring harness than the Non-Premium models. To retrofit the amp you will need to make a new wiring harness, there is no way around it.

Lucky for you, I did all the hard worth already, read through my thread, everything you need to know is there, including instructions on how to make than new harness.

Originally Posted by Thermo
The nice thing about using the factory subs is that you just have to plug into the wiring that is already there.
Wrong! Completely wrong. There is no pre-wiring in a Non-Premium Sound car! You will have to do it yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Scotton (06-24-2012)