X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Program Car for; A NEW KEY ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Default How to Program Car for; A NEW KEY ?

Hello to all,
Firstly let me say that I am aware of (and have used) the Jaguar TSB XT501-23 which describes procedures for programming a new REMOTE TRANSMITTER to the Car.

However, the above TSB 'does not program' a NEW KEY that may also be required.

Note: When you buy a new key (blank) from Jaguar... you can get that key cut (almost) anywhere... to match an existing key. The new cut key will then open all the doors, disarm the security and give you access into the car. However - the new cut key - will not start the car !!

The local Jaguar Dealer wants approx. US$110.00 to connect my car to his diagnostics computer - to then program the car to accept the new cut key.

It seems all keys have a unique built-in chip/transponder.... that requires programming to the car.

MY QUERY IS;
Does anyone know of or can share a TSB - that will put the car into program mode - to then register and accept a NEW CUT KEY ??

All help appreciated....

Regards,
Larry

Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

G'day, Larry!

Unfortunately, I know of only how to program an extra key (need the original two that work). The only other method is the dealer.

It would be interesting to see if there is another way to do this.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If you can get a few fresh tiger shark teeth and then rub them over the key and then the exciter ring around the ignition switch it said to work...... Dealer only of call to a few bigger locksmiths. There is software to program transponder keys to cars that locksmiths can get. But, i wouldnt expect to save anymore money than going to the dealer. And on the 2 master key note. Yes if you insert and start the car with 2 master keys and then insert a 3rd it will recognise and programm the key. What ive found it really does is the 3rd will start the car after the other 2. Then a day or 2 later the customers come ack bitchen that the key doesnt work they just got. I don't do that anymore and program with the computor. A better bet is to go to the dealer on a sat and talk to a tech. Possibly holding a case of beer

Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by LCGI
Hello to all,
Firstly let me say that I am aware of (and have used) the Jaguar TSB XT501-23 which describes procedures for programming a new REMOTE TRANSMITTER to the Car.

However, the above TSB 'does not program' a NEW KEY that may also be required.

Note: When you buy a new key (blank) from Jaguar... you can get that key cut (almost) anywhere... to match an existing key. The new cut key will then open all the doors, disarm the security and give you access into the car. However - the new cut key - will not start the car !!

The local Jaguar Dealer wants approx. US$110.00 to connect my car to his diagnostics computer - to then program the car to accept the new cut key.

It seems all keys have a unique built-in chip/transponder.... that requires programming to the car.

MY QUERY IS;
Does anyone know of or can share a TSB - that will put the car into program mode - to then register and accept a NEW CUT KEY ??

All help appreciated....

Regards,
Larry
There is no way to enter key program mode on an X-Type with out the Jaguar diagnostic equipment. A manual programming procedure is available, but it can only be utilized IF you already have TWO properly programmed keys available. The manual procedure is as follows:

To enter the programming process you need all the customer’s keys (minimum of 2). If there is only one available,
you can only add keys using WDS. [or IDS/SDD of course]
• Insert first key, turn to Run (Position II) for a maximum of 5 seconds, turn to Off, and remove key.
• Within 10 seconds of removing the first key, insert the second key, turn to Run for a maximum of 5 seconds,
turn to Off, and remove the key.
• To program the third key, insert and turn to Run within 20 seconds of removing the second key, leave the key
in the run position and allow the PATS LED to prove out (solid for 3 seconds); this procedure will confirm successful
storage.
For programming subsequent keys – 8 in total:, you will need to have turned 2 valid keys to Run and to Off as above
prior to programming the fourth and fifth keys, and so on.You can use any 2 valid keys.
To program the fourth key, follow the sequence as above.
• After removing the third key, insert key 1 or 2 and turn through Run and back to Off, then remove.
• Insert the fourth key, turn through Run and back to Off and remove.
To program the fifth key:
• After removing the fourth key, insert key 1, 2 or 3 and turn through Run to Off and remove.
This process can be repeated until a maximum of 8 keys have been programmed.
NOTE: If the time scale is not adhered to, the process will terminate and you will need to start the process
again (a DTC may also be logged).

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Thank you Steve..... this information is what I was looking for.

Its just a great pity that my local Jaguar Dealer... can only fit this job in on the morning of 25th Aug, 2011 (20 days away) not to mention the AUD$100.00
he demands for programming just one extra (new) key.
Its no wonder Jaguar Australia have a bad rep.... when supported by such mediocre Dealer Services.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
There is no way to enter key program mode on an X-Type with out the Jaguar diagnostic equipment. A manual programming procedure is available, but it can only be utilized IF you already have TWO properly programmed keys available. The manual procedure is as follows:

To enter the programming process you need all the customer’s keys (minimum of 2). If there is only one available,
you can only add keys using WDS. [or IDS/SDD of course]
• Insert first key, turn to Run (Position II) for a maximum of 5 seconds, turn to Off, and remove key.
• Within 10 seconds of removing the first key, insert the second key, turn to Run for a maximum of 5 seconds,
turn to Off, and remove the key.
• To program the third key, insert and turn to Run within 20 seconds of removing the second key, leave the key
in the run position and allow the PATS LED to prove out (solid for 3 seconds); this procedure will confirm successful
storage.
For programming subsequent keys – 8 in total:, you will need to have turned 2 valid keys to Run and to Off as above
prior to programming the fourth and fifth keys, and so on.You can use any 2 valid keys.
To program the fourth key, follow the sequence as above.
• After removing the third key, insert key 1 or 2 and turn through Run and back to Off, then remove.
• Insert the fourth key, turn through Run and back to Off and remove.
To program the fifth key:
• After removing the fourth key, insert key 1, 2 or 3 and turn through Run to Off and remove.
This process can be repeated until a maximum of 8 keys have been programmed.
NOTE: If the time scale is not adhered to, the process will terminate and you will need to start the process
again (a DTC may also be logged).

Cheers,
Do you think this will work also for XK8 from 2002?

Appreciate.
Peter

Old 04-07-2021, 08:35 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

10 years too late and the wrong forum section but NO the configuration sequence will not work on the X308 or X100.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:46 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-07-2021, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 04-08-2021, 02:06 AM

Unfortunatelly it is not what I'm looking for: this article describes how to programm the fob and not the transponder!

Regards,
Peter

Old 04-08-2021, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

ANY Jaguar transponder CAN ONLY be programmed with dealer level type software. There is NO owner available transponder programming unless you buy the software, pigtail link, etc.

Here's the xk8 (after 2000 use this type cryto algorithmic id48 keys)

Here is the ID48 information:

When the process starts the car generates a random number. It is sent to the transponder. Now both computers perform the complex mathematical operation using two numbers they both should know, the random number and the secret key. They each produce a third number. The number is split into two parts called F and G. Both computers now know F and G. The car sends its F to the transponder. The transponder can check that the car has correctly calculated F. That proves to the transponder that the car knows both the secret key and the Megamos Crypto algorithm. The transponder can now be satisfied that the car is genuinely the car it is supposed to be. If the transponder is happy, the transponder sends G to the car. The car checks that G is correct. If it is correct then the car is happy that the transponder also knows the secret key and the Megamos Crypto algorithm. Thus the car can be satisfied that the transponder is genuine. So both devices have confirmed the identity of the other without actually revealing the secret key or the secret algorithm. The car can safely start.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 04-08-2021 at 03:17 AM.