Sponsored by:

How to remove the ac drier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Just the Dryer?

Last edited by DPK; 07-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Trouble

I'm looking for some suggestions or advice on how to remove the ac receiver/drier spring connection closest to the firewall. I have everything else loose and it's just dangling there waiting to be disconnected. I have the proper 3/4 inch spring coupling tool, I can here it snap into place but it doesn't matter how hard I pull, it won't budge. Any thoughts???

Also what is the best way to reattach the receiver/drier's front most 8mm bolt (the one above the washer reservoir)? It was way to hard to get it off, and unless I come up with an easier way to install it, i'm not going to.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Update

I managed to get the receiver/drier off by cutting the rubber tubing between the spring coupling and the drier and wiggling the connection, it came right off. Also use some PB Blaster.

I still would like some advice on how to re-install the 8mm bolt on the drier above the washer fluid reservoir.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow that must have really been on there.
I remember one of the bolts was hard to get but I don't remember off hand how I did it. It may be the one I used a socket on a very long extension. Or, it could have been one of those ratcheting box end wrenches with swiveling box end. I used both on several bolts up in there. Push come to shove, take out the reservoir.

I wouldn't recommend going without it. Lots of vibration in there.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM

Yeah it was really on there and a ratcheting box wrench would have been nice since a socket wouldn't fit. To reinstall it, I ended up loosening the passenger side of the bumper enough to drop the reservoir a few inches. But it is all back together now awaiting a flush and refill sometime next week.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xx_Four_Stroke_xX
Update

I managed to get the receiver/drier off by cutting the rubber tubing between the spring coupling and the drier and wiggling the connection, it came right off. Also use some PB Blaster.

I still would like some advice on how to re-install the 8mm bolt on the drier above the washer fluid reservoir.
1. So you mentioned how hard it was to remove the AC coupling. I spent most of today trying to put the new hose back into the coupling. While sliding/hammering in, the o-rings we're getting shredded and when I vacuumed the system it won't hold a vacuum. I can't get it to click back in it is almost there all three orings are inserted. I mean I was using a sledgehammer and PB blaster how did you get it to work?
2. Use a self-tapping screw and mount that f****** thing wherever you need to. Improve the system.
3.Side note in order to release the tension from the serpentine belt tensioner I cut into the frame near the passenger headlight to fit in a standard 3/8 serpentine belt tool. I'm just sick and tired of no maintenance in mind manufacturing. NOTHING is easy on an Xtype!
4. I found on YouTube just search AC coupling removal a video of a guy showing a tool he made out of a pipe clamp. You basically cut off the diameter of the pipe and it's an amazing little tool.

Last edited by forcemajeure; 05-19-2019 at 10:19 PM.