X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming Noise After Rear Brake Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming Noise After Rear Brake Change

I have been scouring the internet and this forum to find the answer to my problem and I have seen a few solutions to similar problems but would like any and all oppinions on my specific situation.

I had a friend replace the rear brakes on my 2002 X-type about 2 months ago. We used aftermarket brakes which I thought would be fine because I did the same to my front brakes.

Soon after my car developed a humming sound whenever I turned left but only after I had been driving for a while. I thought it would go away but it did not.

Last week I brought it to the Jag dealership to get them to take a look. They said the humming sound was caused by my "cheap" aftermarket brakes and rotors. Wanting to get this horrible noise resolved I told them to replace both. $600 later I'm driving home and after 15 minutes it starts making the same noise when my wheel is turned to the right.

Its now three days later and its CONSTANTLY humming once I've been driving for 5 minutes or more. I have an appointment with the dealership again tomorrow but I want to go in with some additional knowledge so they don't screw me over YET AGAIN.

Thanks in advance guys

Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

And what does your Jaguar service advisor have to say about this? I guess you did not turn around after it started humming on the way home?

Could be several things - does the humming vary with wheel speed or with engine speed? Can you pinpoint where the humming is coming from - front/rear/left/right etc.

Early guess is a wheel bearing.

Have you had the propshaft replaced or have you greased the center bearing?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM

The noise will go away if I hit the brakes, and it will go away for a few seconds if I hit a bump in the road. Since I brought it to the dealership it has been pretty constant and very loud.

The dealer doesn't seem to be too concerned with the fact that he charged me $600 to fix a problem and it was not fixed, hopefully I can change that tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Have not had anything done to it besides changing the rear rotors and brakes twice now.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Is it a high pitched hum, almost like a whine?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Hey did you ever find what this was i did the exact same thing got some aftermarket brakes same noise on the rear its crazy please help

Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

My guess is the parking brake isn't adjusted correctly.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Similar... continuing.

In April 2013 I had the dealer install aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads on all four corners. Right afterward, it developed and intermittent moaning sound for a few minutes when you started driving - coming from the rear. No sound when braking, but starting off from a stop you'd hear "waaaah, whaah whaaah" sound that would fade as you got up to about 40mph.

I took it back to the dealer to look at, who said they found there was nothing wrong, but "cleaned" the brakes. That visit - whatever they did - definitely lessened the noise - but only for a day or two - and then it was back. The service adviser offered the explanation that the "open" nature of the 7-spoke fluted wheel means that a lot of dirt gets into into the rotors and the brakes. That may be true, but it is idiotic and hardly explains the sudden onset of new noise after new parts go on.

I suspect the ceramic pads. It usually lets up after driving a few minutes, but it is annoying, and has persisted ever since. If it is the ceramic pads, that's too bad because they do produce a lot less dust - almost none - which is great.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same prob with mine a while back, decided to give them a service,turned out it was lazy brake release after braking,cured it by removing caliper and pressing gently on brake pedal to expose half inch of piston spraying it with some wd40 then giving it a rub round in my fingers to get of surface rust,once nice and shiny, then i put put tip of tube in between piston outer seal rubber and piston and filled it until wd40 came back out,then screwed pistons back in,did this several times on each caliper until they could screw in and out pretty easily,also did slider pins as well, using wd40,free dry them with rag and finish off with non petroleum based grease, no sign of whine in the last 8 months since i did it.