X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm lost and out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm lost and out of ideas

So everything has been done that I've been told to do. New coils ,ane fuel pump was replaced again and mass air flow sensor. Throttle body and tranny flush and replacement plug for throttle motor. This is a 2002, xtype 3.0 automatic. 165500 when you first turn the key on after hard resetting it it says engine management fault gearbox fault both yellow and red lights are on underneath the vehicle start fine but there is no pedal unplug the throttle body motor or still no pedal I ran a volt tester owns reader from plug into the ECU and there is a path of current that runs through both wires where do I start now and can you use an ECU out of a 2.5 manual . So with Diagnostics tool there is voltage when you press the gas pedal down.so that part's working. Just to drive the vehicle, I just use the jumper wire on the throttle body motor and ran 3.5 volts to 9 volts of power through it just to get the car from point A to point B to get it out of the area. it is in limp mode and you cannot go over like 5 miles an hour. While jumping the Throttle Motor you are able to get up to 70 miles an hour plus. but turning on and off for the voltage so vehicle increace in speed .though is getting really bad gas mileage about 4.4 miles to the gallon smell of fuel is overwhelming coming from the thing it's flooding itself out and not getting enough air due to the Throttle Motor not working what else you can be done what needs to be done

Old 12-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Annex, I would check a few other things first. I would say to first start with the throttle position sensor (TPS). This is on the left side of the throttlebody. Check the plug to see if it is in good condition. Next, using your multimeter, measure between pins 1 and 3 to see if as you are moving the butterfly valve, you are seeing a changing voltage (car in RUN, engine not running) or a changing resistance (car off). you can repeat the checks using pins 2 and 4 which should result in pretty much identical readings. If you have different readings, then your TPS is having issues.

Next, try swapping relays R11 (throttle body relay) and R3 (horn relay) with each other in the engine bay fuse box. Does this change anything. If yes, then you have a bad relay in the now R3 position. I would also check fuses F18 (engine bay fuse box) and F36 (engine bay fuse box) to make sure that they are good. Odds are, fuse F36 is good because it is associated with a lot of other things where F18 is dedicated just to the throttlebody.

After these checks, this is really leaving you with a bad ECU. But, lets see what you find before we start going down the bad ECU road.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New throttle body, position sensor tested .you can tell working with a bad ECU I'm assuming the problem is . flip , tested fuses , and relays resistance still good .so how do you go about getting an ECU programmed or to e xchange computer to work without security lock out

Old 12-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Annex, in short, you either need a SSD computer that you own (which will have the software to allow the computer to accept the current security settings) or you need to take the car to a shop that has an SSD computer and they can install the computer and reprogram the ECU for you. This does not necessarily need to be a jaguar dealership, but it will most likely end up being someone that is very familiar with jaguars.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I am looking to repair/replace my ECU due to starter circuit issues. I contacted these folks, because we are both in FL and they were recommended by the guy who works on my car. https://moduleexperts.com/programmin...e-plug-n-play/

If you are convinced that it is the ECU - you can talk to these guys.

Basically, you ship your ECU to them and, if they can repair it, it will cost you $299 plus return shipping.

If your ECU is beyond repair, they will sell you a remanufactured unit - reprogrammed for your car for around $699.

Both services come with a lifetime warranty.

I talked to the ONE shop in my town who is able to reprogram my ECU (was looking at buying a used ECU on Ebay for less than $100), but the shop told me that the reprogramming cost at their shop would exceed the other guys cost for a remanufactured - plug and go one.

We are kinda out of the main-stream here and you may have more options for local reprogramming..

Hope this helps a little.