Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Factory Sat/Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Installing Factory Sat/Nav

I have been presented with the opportunity to buy a complete original X-Type factory Sat/Nav system for a very reasonable price. My 2002 X-Type did not come with Sat/Nav and I'd like to know how difficult it is to install the factory system in a car that did not come from the factory that way. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 10-01-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't have anything to contribute because I've never done this before but I'm considering this as a possible future project in my car. Just wondering what a "reasonable price" is, what components I would need, and how difficult it would be.

Good luck, I'll be following this thread to see how it turns out!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Retrofitting touch screen sat nav controls here you can find almost everything you need to know.

The following users liked this post:
mjlaris (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The wiring harness can be tricky. If the unit that you get includes the wiring harness then the job becomes much easier. If this is coming out of another car then you should do the removal job. This gets you all the little parts that get forgotten then someone else does it. If you cannot get the wiring harness then at least get all the connectors, it will save you a lot of hassle.

I did it when I had the doner car and recipient car side by side. It took me 5 days of continuous work. A lot of that time was taken studying the electrical diagrams.

Good luck,
Pete.

The following users liked this post:
mjlaris (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by emaraszek
Just wondering what a "reasonable price" is, what components I would need, and how difficult it would be.
$850

Mark

Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'll bite

Mark -
What is the "Remote Control Front License Plate Bracket" that you speak of?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Niens2000
Mark -
What is the "Remote Control Front License Plate Bracket" that you speak of?
I didn't want to ruin the look of the mesh grill on my XKR so I found this bracket that attaches under the front bumper and has a remote controlled electric motor that retracts the license plate under the front of the car. When I'm driving my car in the country or in another state, I leave it retracted but when I go into Dallas, where they are "fussy" about displaying the front license plate, I have it up. You can buy them on eBay for around $115. Just search on "remote control license plate" (see the following link: Roush Electric Hide-Away Power Retractable License Plate Two Remote Controls | eBay).

Mark

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

$850 is about fair. Just make sure you're getting the remote climate control unit in your deal, those are the hardest to get. Go thought the post mentioned above and if you can read electrical schematics, you'll be fine.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I took the plunge and bought the system. It includes the wiring harness, climate controls, everything except the CD player. If anyone is selling a CD player for a Sat/Nav setup, PM me. Also, the guy said it also included a Bluetooth module. Did the later systems come with Bluetooth?

Mark

Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The part that goes in the trunk is a DVD player. The CD player which also goes in the trunk is a different thing. They both go in the same mounting frame in the trunk. Did you get the GPS antenna? It goes under the rear window deck. The DVD players are readily available on ebay.

Pete.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagger
The part that goes in the trunk is a DVD player. The CD player which also goes in the trunk is a different thing. They both go in the same mounting frame in the trunk. Did you get the GPS antenna? It goes under the rear window deck. The DVD players are readily available on ebay.

Pete.
No, I'm talking about the CD player that goes under the radio; it replaced the tape deck in later models (see photo).

As for the GPS antenne, yes that was included.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Installing Factory Sat/Nav-x-type-cd-player.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagger

Pete.
Does anyone know if the DVD player for a S-Type will fit/work in a X-Type? I can make it fit if needed, but just wondering if the connectors are compatible.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a CD player for sale, but it's faulty and doesn't actually play CDs (not sure why). I used it fine with the ACM (iPod). If you have the ACM or a CD changer and not interested in the single slot CD player working, PM me, you can have it real cheap.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where to get the touch screen back female plugs - 20 pin? or the right electric female connectors there's 2- I went to dealer for SAT?NAVI wiring harness we checked 2002 - 2003 -2004 - 2007 none of the female plugs for some reason fit- is there a special plug or adapter I need? - the touch screen I have is 2004. Any help is appreciated - Rayjag

Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Default Wondering did it work I am in the same situation

I just had a beautiful 2002 destroyed by a speeding out of controlled old lady now replaced by a 2007 without SAT/Navigation system - so I assembled the whole system all parts listed as MARCH or APRIL 2004 - TOUCH SCREEN - (I ALREADY HAVE THE HEATER SEATS AND WARNING LIGHT SWITCH SET UP IN MY 2007 AND ON THE BOTTOM THAT WILL SIT UNDER THE TOUCH SCREEN A SINGLE CD PLAYER INSTEAD OF THE CASSETTE PLAYER) THE IN TRUNK - AMPLIFIER - A TOPPED THE NAV DISC PLAYER - A TOPPED THE 6 CD CHANGE PLAYER ALL IN THE BRACKET HOLDER - ALONG WITH THE ORG NAV GPS ANTENNA - PLUS THE MAIN KEY PART IS THE CLIMATIC A/C CONTROL MODULE REMOTE UPGRADE - HAVE THE FIBER OPTIC HARNESS my issue is the NAVIGATION HARNESS ALL FROM 02 - 2010 X TYPE AND S TYPE ARE THE SAME - only problem IS THE FEMALE CONNECTOR PLUG 20 PINS INTO THE MALE PINS OF THE TOUCH SCREEN = WHERE CAN I GET ONE? DO YOU OR ANYONE KNOW?

Also is the SAT/NAVIGATION HARNESS A STAND ALONE LOOM THAT IS TIED INTO THE CAR'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEMBY THE FIBER OPTIC HARNESS AND THE TEMP CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE REMOTE UNIT?

What did you discover or have to do - I read the retrofit on the UK.com forum but they just connected individual wire to certain pin in the plug hole of the TOUCH SCREEN - does everyone have to did you?

Thanks for you help - Rayjag

Old 01-22-2015, 12:51 AM

I just had a beautiful 2002 destroyed by a speeding out of controlled old lady now replaced by a 2007 without SAT/Navigation system - so I assembled the whole system all parts listed as MARCH or APRIL 2004 - TOUCH SCREEN - (I ALREADY HAVE THE HEATER SEATS AND WARNING LIGHT SWITCH SET UP IN MY 2007 AND ON THE BOTTOM THAT WILL SIT UNDER THE TOUCH SCREEN A SINGLE CD PLAYER INSTEAD OF THE CASSETTE PLAYER) THE IN TRUNK - AMPLIFIER - A TOPPED THE NAV DISC PLAYER - A TOPPED THE 6 CD CHANGE PLAYER ALL IN THE BRACKET HOLDER - ALONG WITH THE ORG NAV GPS ANTENNA - PLUS THE MAIN KEY PART IS THE CLIMATIC A/C CONTROL MODULE REMOTE UPGRADE - HAVE THE FIBER OPTIC HARNESS my issue is the NAVIGATION HARNESS ALL FROM 02 - 2010 X TYPE AND S TYPE ARE THE SAME - only problem IS THE FEMALE CONNECTOR PLUG 20 PINS INTO THE MALE PINS OF THE TOUCH SCREEN = WHERE CAN I GET ONE? DO YOU OR ANYONE KNOW?

Also is the SAT/NAVIGATION HARNESS A STAND ALONE LOOM THAT IS TIED INTO THE CAR'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEMBY THE FIBER OPTIC HARNESS AND THE TEMP CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE REMOTE UNIT?

What did you discover or have to do - I read the retrofit on the UK.com forum but they just connected individual wire to certain pin in the plug hole of the TOUCH SCREEN - does everyone have to did you?

Thanks for you help - Rayjag