X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar 2002 X type reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar 2002 X type reliable?

I;m thinking of buying a 2002 jag X-type. It however, has 85k miles on it. The price is $6500. I was wondering if this is a good deal and how much longer it will run/ how many more miles i can put on it. Are jags reliable cars?

thanks

Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Are jags reliable cars?"

I guess that really depends on what you are comparing it to.

Compared to a Ferrari, I would say "Yeah, it's a reliable car."

Compared to a Honda, I would say "No. No it's not."

(Just being honest.)

Ford owned Jaguar during the X-Type years, and the reliability improved greatly during this time.
But Jaguar isn't known for reliability.
It is a British luxury/sports car.

BECAUSE Ford owned them during this time, parts availability is not bad, and some parts are actually interchangeable with Ford/Lincoln models of this same period. SOME parts. Not all....

As to how many miles you can get, your guess is as good as mine. I would imagine that it depends on how it was treated during the first 85K miles.
If a kid drove it, I would stay far, far away from it.
If a little old lady drove it in Florida.....and you can actually prove that.....well....who knows? Maybe you'll put another 100K on it.

Take this with a grain of salt, but here's my take on Jags, especially the X-Type.

It is an "entry-level" Jaguar model, which is probably one of the most reliable of any of the models put out during that time.
That being said....it's a Jaguar. You're going to have to mess with it.....not enough to where it is going to ALWAYS be a problem, but you will have minor issues with it.

Think of a Jaguar as a woman.

It is finicky, it can be a PITA. It is expensive. It's always bitching/complaining about something.... But at the end of the day....my God....just LOOK at it.
It is SEXY, and you want it.

I bought mine (2003) earlier this year with 68K on it, and it is a daily driver and now has 103K on it. Haven't had any REAL problems. Replaced a couple of O-rings, replaced the tires and had an alignment, that kind of thing. Minor stuff.

I just brushed the snow off it and am not afraid to drive it up to the local pub (when I am done posting this) in the snowy weather in northern New Hampshire.

The AWD does pretty well, to be honest.

And there you go.

Jags are sexy, sexy cars. There is nothing like a British interior. The XType is enough of a blend of reliability/sports to make it an exciting vehicle while retaining some of the "daily driver" that is important to people who need a NON-sports car.

And....I mean....it is oh, so pretty. Just look at it. It is a beautiful car.

And that's my 2c worth.

Last edited by Coralkong; 12-26-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

funny thing is i have an 2002 x-type and a 2010 gs350 my x-type is more reliable than my gs350,my x-type has never been in the shop my lexus has been in there 8 times since ive had it

Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided a year or so ago I just HAD to have an X Type; it's so much cooler than a Subaru or similar for basically the same money, and AWD is pretty much necessary here in the Rockies. After I got one, I wound up spending tons o' time on this forum; discovered a bunch of fairly common issues with them. Lesse; early transfer cases, leaking oil pan gaskets (surprisingly expensive repair), driveshaft issues. 2004- up cars without DSC's awd traction. Oh, and the worst lug nuts EVER. Lots of little stuff, some big things too. But dang it, it's a Jag. Looks and drives awesome; great handling comfy car. I personally spent more money on mine than I intended bringing it up to decent repair, but it is still so much cooler than anything else! I absolutely love it. It isn't a Toyota, but if you're willing to put up with a little finickiness (?), it's so worth it. And, just because of what it is, it's easier to find a nice one than a ratty one. Just my 3 cents worth (adjusted for inflation).

Old 12-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

I bought my 2002 X-Type (Classic) one and a half years ago.. overall I would say it has had no more issues than any Ford or Vauxhall I have had, and it looks and sounds so much better whilst still retaining daily drive or family car status..
I have replaced three tyres done tracking and toe in, one radiator, changed engine oil, and filters and that's it so far.. it has the typical dodgy drivers door release mechanism, and the usual oddities you get with any 11 year old car.. but I would say it has no more need of TLC than any other car I have had.. My potential worries would only be that I have not had a chance to check the fluid in the transfer case yet, and one day I might not be able to get in my door at all lol but otherwise no - for an 11 year old car it has all the looks and sound, *and* practicalities I need, and yes no more issues than any other car.. and the four wheel drive works great on ice.. just wish the brakes worked as well as the drive lol
And the huge plus is that being a Jag I can always spot my car in the car park.. I was always losing the Fords and Vauxhalls (which my wife can attest to lol)

Old 12-27-2013, 03:25 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

My wife got her X-Type in 05 and up to now, the only issues has been with noisy struts (country roads).

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar 2002 X type reliable?-new-l-f-view-1a.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

elly, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will find that we call things as we see them and this sets us apart from other car clubs out there. We also strive to keep things very friendly and in general, good natured. But, we do ask something from you though. PLease stop by the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. We are quirky that way. But, this gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for how reliable the X-Type is, I call it like others have in that it is no more a problem child than most other cars out on the road that are 11 years old. Does the car have its quirks. Of course. But, so does every other car out on the roads. The trick is, we know what the quirks are and how to fix them. MOst of the quirks are fairly inexpensive to fix.

Now, with that being said, if you are planning on driving the car sporty, then the X-TYpe is not for you unless you have deep pockets. You want to drive it spiritedly and go light to light in no time flat, the transfer case is going to give up on you and at $3000 each time the transfer case goes out, it will be a pricy car. But, you want to get out, cruise, enjoy a nice ride and get lots of looks, then this is a good car for that. If you need to go light to light, then going with something like the S-Type/XJ may be more in line with what you are after.

As for how long the car will last from here on out, that is a loaded question. I have just shy of 150K miles on my car and it is not giving any signs that the motor/drivetrain is about to give up. I can see this car making it out to 300K miles. The "big problem" that I have with my car is that the e-brake lever will freeze on me and about once a year, I have one of the rear calipers stick on me. But, an hour with the car, $10, and all is good. A lot of the fixes are like that. Most of my other problems have been wear issues and I would expect something like that from a vehicle that is getting older.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (01-05-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know...****.....I mean...I deserve some "Flatlander points" for that review. That pretty much sums it perfectly.......

Next stop, the XKR.

I really, really like my Jaguar. I mean, a lot. I have those funky rims that apparently weren't offered a lot. 17". I love them. Thinking of having them refinished. I want to keep it oriiginal as I can..

I really, really like my X-Type 3.0.

I mean, it is a dream come true. Car drives like a dream.....

Last edited by Coralkong; 12-28-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Elly

I've had two X types and now an S type. We had a X type (2002) 2.0 litre two wheel drive not available in the US i believe. That was a fab car no issues at all and just so nice to drive. It was an auto.

We also had a high milege 3.0 litre AWD auto (2001). Also fab and loaded. They were both reliable and capable.

I did come across a few rough ones on the way to deciding on the two great ones we had.

We only sold them because I tried an S type sport and loved it so much. Our S type has done 137K and sounds like it could easily do double.

I'd buy one again tomorrow but it may have to be a diesel because of the consumption which is average anyway for this size of car.

Last edited by drobbinsnorthwilts; 01-01-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I need to "chime in"

I inherited my late fathers X-Type 2.5L manual trans. I'm a hard core sports car guy and the silver, base model X-Type is the last car I would have ever considered. Ever.

However, it did not take long for me to start to like the car. I mean, really like the car. It drives very well, corners properly, is nicely balanced and it's comfortable/quiet and capable. I'm not ready to admit that I love the car, but it's darn good. By the way, I rent cars every week for my job. Nothing I've rented drives as nicely. Not even the nicer Volvo's (they come close, and are faster though)

As for reliability of the X, mine has had it's issues. I'm trying to generate a list of common problems. Many of which, when properly understood, are not big deals at all. Some of which can be problems for the non mechanical among us. And finding a good independent repair shop and directing them on how to deal with common issues will go a long way towards X-Type owner satisfaction.

The "BIGGIES"

1) transfer case lower bearings went bad, $100 in parts for DIY repair. (any indi shop could be directed to repair this in about 4 hours labor) no need to remove the transfer case, even though the dealer will gladly sell you a new one for $4,000.
2) throttle position sensor fails and is not "yet" available separately from the throttle body (expensive)
3) battery cables fail, causing "alternator" light. the failure is not evident, but it is very common. replace the cables, period.
4) upper radiator hose and thermostat housing cracked. It's plastic, $120 and surprisingly difficult to replace for such a simple job (took me 3-4 hours)
5) idler pulley for water pump belt failed, causing overheating. It's $27, replace it.

Note: there are plenty of reports of automatic transmission failures on early X-Types. I'd avoid an early Auto equipped car.

Also, a car that age will probably need common maintenance. Such as radiator replacement, hoses, belts, and so on.

Last edited by cujet; 01-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
reyesfam (10-01-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I agree with that pretty much but fairly small beer really. As you say the way the cars go outweighs a few fairly minorish glitches.

We also get a little bit of sill rust on some older UK cars.

In the UK independents are comomon and a fair bit cheaper.

Still the cars are sought after even now.

I'd have another tomorrow.

Last edited by drobbinsnorthwilts; 01-02-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Just make sure before you buy the Jag, you drive it around for a while to make sure the check engine light doesn't come on. Alot of used car dealerships will clear the codes so the customer thinks nothing is wrong with it.

When I bought my x-type, I paid $5000 cash and got it without any warranty. As I was driving it home, the check engine light came on and it turned out to have alot of issues. It took a long time and money (couple grand more) to get it running good enough to pass inspection.

Now I have fixed everything that was wrong with it and I am in love with x-type. Just don't make the same mistake as me. Sometimes if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Psssh....

I enjoy my X-Type...just when I mention I drive a Jaguar to people they think $$$...I actually paid 6k for my 03 X-Type and would not change a thing.

I jumped on these forums first thing and started research. I immediately replaced all the plugs and intake gaskets (both sets) as that seemed to create issues. I had a new battery placed in it and the leads all cleaned. I have no had any issues since...

I do not drive my Jaguar like a maniac either as I want it to last and last...I may put my foot in it on the highway from time to time...but its not often.

I replaced my thermostat and the upper radiator hoses which I agree was somewhat of a tough job as there is limited room to get your tools in making it difficult...overall its a relatively easy fix.

I like my X-Type so much I just had the exterior re-painted the factory color due to some sun fading and she looks brand spanking new!

Every car will have its issues...its hard to compare like models as you can see from the forums, some have the worst luck and others the best...all just chance with machines.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

bracester, how many miles were on your X when you bought it?

What were the symptoms that led you to replace plugs and gaskets?

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rclangelan
bracester, how many miles were on your X when you bought it?

What were the symptoms that led you to replace plugs and gaskets?

Thanks.
I had 86k on it when I bought it. I just read some others having common issues all leading down to worn plugs or worn intake gaskets or the knock sensor (which is located under the gaskets) went bad causing it to go into limp mode...so I figured it was a cheap fix (all under $100) and did it myself and saved a possible future headache.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Just to say that I think my Jaguar X-Type 2.0 2003 137k is the best car every…
It cost me £1,500 cash and never let me down, had it for nearly two years now.

What other cars have I had,
BMW 3 – 5 – 7 Series price between £15,000 to £20,000
Mercedes Benz C Class E Class between £10,000 to £20,000
Toyota Supra import from Japan £10,000
Must Fords, Renault and some Honda’s

I brought this Jaguar from a friend who had it new and he wanted some cash… I was going to use the car for a few weeks then sell it on.

Nearly two years later I still have it and love, off the record if I were to get other car it would be a Jaguar XF

Regards,

Old 01-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I suspect Elly514, the OP, is a spammer, from the 1 post, no further activity, and the commercial link in the sig line. FWIW. Just sayin'

Old 01-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Could well be.

However, this is exactly the sort of thread that may be very helpful for potential future X-Typists to stumble upon.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Welcome to the forum elly514,

(I've removed the commercial link from your Signature. It breaks forum rules on advertising.)

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Could well be.

However, this is exactly the sort of thread that may be very helpful for potential future X-Typists to stumble upon.
Yes the thread is fine. Good replies, all. It's just I thought the OP may have had ulterior motives for posting. Hope not. Anyway, the questionable part of his post was removed by Graham, so now, it's just another X type reliability thread. Can't have too many of those! LOL.