X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar x type Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar x type Headlight

Mechanic said the light generator is not working and replacement part C2S52482 from Jaguar is $425 Does anyone know of aftermarket replacement that would be cheaper

Old 07-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

A simple 30 second Google search is a wonderful thing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-200...-/252022443644

Old 07-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Snce he is in there, you may want to get some new HID bulbs. This will allow you to get some whiter bulbs (compared to the 4300K stock bulbs) that may help with night time driving and/or appearance. You would be looking at either 5000K or 6000K bulbs. Of note, if you do this, the HID bulbs that you want are 35 watt bulbs, NOT!!!!!!! 50/55W HID bulbs. They are also what are referred to as "D2S bulbs". If you need more info on the bulbs, let me know. I will explain this so you can understand what you want/need. As for the piece you need (referred to as the "ballast"), what Alfadude linked for you is what you need. You can probably find it on Amazon also if you are not an e-bay user.

Go Mariners!!!!!! I used to live in Bremerton. Son still does. KNow the area all too well.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:07 PM

It is not the bulb, contacted a second dealer here in Belleview and he gave me another number C2S15080 Have looked on web but can't find anyone selling these. The part that is bad is the holder that the Zeon bulb fits into.

Go Sounders

Old 07-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Sponsor
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

This is what you need if the holder melted;
https://www.jagbits.com/product/HEADLAMPPLUG-KIT.html

Old 07-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Scouser, I think we have a slight miscommunication going on here. Lets get a little info on your car and this will help us diagnose what you need. Lets first start with what year your car is? Next, if you open up the driver's door and look into the corner where the hinges are, is there a silver sticker there that says something to the effect of "This vehicle is equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) ......"? If yes, then your car is equipped with HID headlights If you are still unsure, there are two other checks you can do that will tell you if you have HID headlight or the standard halogen headlights. The first is, if you park the car towards a wall, when you turn on the headlights, do they simply "snap" on or do you see them flash bright, dim, then come back up to brightness over a few seconds. If they snap on, you have halogen (standard) headlights. If they seem to pop on, dim, then get brighter again, then you have HID headlights. The other is (atleast for the US), if you have HIDs, you have self leveling headlights. If you watch the headlights as you turn them on, do they remain in one place or do they go up and down a little bit? If they remain in one place, then you have halogen headlights. If they move around, you have HID headlights.

Please note that I am referring to them as halogen and HID headlights. I do this because with the new bulb technologies coming out, both types of bulbs are using xenon gas and this can lead to a lot of confusion. The part that you listed in your initial post is a piece for the HID headlight system. The connections for the 2 systems are very different. So, there is no "I will just make it work" answer. It is either the correct part or it isn't.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Thermo
Thanks for your reply. My car is a 2007 X-type with 2.5 engine. The tag you mentioned says MID.
My problem is that the passenger side beam was not working, checked the bulb and that was OK, they thought it was the generator, PN C2S15080 however yesterday swapped the generators over and had same problem same light did not work. Tried to look at the Ballast however the connector on my car doesn't look like the picture of ballast on web P/N C2S52482. Later when I drove the car both lights came on, but after about 10 to 15 minutes the passenger side light started flickering and then went out. Looked at it again this morning and it is still not working.

Thanks for your help

Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Scouser
It is not the bulb, contacted a second dealer here in Belleview and he gave me another number C2S15080 Have looked on web but can't find anyone selling these. The part that is bad is the holder that the Zeon bulb fits into.

Go Sounders
Not sure how you do a search, but just typing the part number into Google you get all kinds of options to buy, like Dell showed.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Scouser, from what you are describing, I have a feeling that you have a bad ground wire. If you have your mechanic look at pins 9 and 10 in the headlight assembly plug, I bet you will find that pin 10 is going to have a fair amount of corrosion on it. If not there, it will be at a bolted connection under the headlight assembly. A silly check that you can do is when the headlight is working, turn on your high(main) beams and see if that light goes out after a few minutes. This works under the principle that by turning on the high/main beam, you are passing more current through the faulty connection and this will cause the voltage to drop. HID bulbs require lots of voltage to make them work correctly. If the voltage starts to drop, then the bulb will drop out. Do you notice this more when it is say rainy outside than when it is dry for a long time. Treat washing the car as a rainy day.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:23 PM

Thermo
I cleaned all the connectors, the connector to the ballast seemed to be a little dirty, not too bad. Light came on but dimmer than the other side, left it on for a while, turned the car off and restarted, no light. Played with the ballast plug again, and again light came on but still dim. Seems to me it must be a bad ballast, not providing enough power to the bulb.

Thanks again

Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Scouser, when playing with the HID ballast, make sure the headlights are off. I only say this because when the bulb is up and operating, it is running at 85 VDC. That will definitely make you twitch if you touch a live wire. But, the voltages can go up to 23,000 VDC on starting. So, if you think touching 115 VAC hurts (household wall outlet voltage), wait till you get ahold of that. It won't be too bad as the current is fairly low, but it will still make you aware that you touched it.

I would get the new ballast and put that in. Having the light dim and going in and out like you are seeing could be the ballast.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Default Headlights

Replaced the ballast however the headlight comes on bright but then dims to a yellowish color.
Additionally there seems to be no way of replacing the ballast without removing the front bumper cover. Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Scouser, the bright light and then dims is normal for the HID bulbs. If you watch the other side, it will do the same. The reason for this is the ballast has to send an initial spark to get things "burning". It does this by sending 23,000 volts to the bulb and this generates an arc (like what your spark plugs do). This arc starts the HID bulb working. Once the ballast senses the arc being established, it will lower the voltage down to 85V to maintain the arc that is going. This results in an initial bright flash and once the 85V is applied, the bulb dimming to the lower brightness. This will also cause the gases to "burn" at a different temperature, which can affect the whiteness of the bulb. This is where knowing what temperature bulb you have in your car will dictate if this is truely a problem or not. If you have the factory 4300K bulbs, then yes, this would be normal as the 4300K bulbs are slightly yellow. If you have 6000K bulbs, then this would be an indication of a problem.

As for replacing the ballast, removing the bumper is the best way. Can you replace it without removing the bumper? I am sure you can. But, what we have found is that the internals of the headlights get brittle with age and if you push/pull on them too much they break. Now you are looking at buying a new headlight assembly or having to find a rebuild kit, tearing the headlight apart and rebuilding the headlight assembly. Not hard, but not something that you want to do over and over.