Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy used,, Audi A4, BMW 3 series or X type? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Looking to buy used,, Audi A4, BMW 3 series or X type? Please help

Hello Folks,,

I am in the market for something that I can use this coming winter. I have few months to shop around but wouldn't mind getting a car now if it is the right deal.

I wanted to get honest opinions about Xtypes, and if you guys have any experience about the Audi and BMW. Especially the 2000-2005 because that's what is in my budget.

How do the X types compare to BMW and Audi of this era?
Any input is much appreciated

Old 09-30-2017, 03:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice - buy on condition and service history. I enjoy the X Type 3.0 I have very much but really, sentiments aside, offerings from the same era of Audi and BMW are similar and comparible in many respects.
2.5 and 3.0 X Types have the bonus of all wheel drive for winter.
being objective and rather surprisingly, the little Jag has been more reliable than any 330i and Audi A6 which were owned in previous years!

Shop around, plenty of bargains in good order to be had.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I think where the X type and any pre 2008 Jaguar stands out is the styling. They have a old world classic feel look.....But in the performance department BMW and AUDI are going to be superior than a X type.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by JonK
My advice - buy on condition and service history. I enjoy the X Type 3.0 I have very much but really, sentiments aside, offerings from the same era of Audi and BMW are similar and comparible in many respects.
2.5 and 3.0 X Types have the bonus of all wheel drive for winter.
being objective and rather surprisingly, the little Jag has been more reliable than any 330i and Audi A6 which were owned in previous years!

Shop around, plenty of bargains in good order to be had.
I have done more research about the X-Type. Seems the Transfer case is a nightmare and what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on one I located in North Carolina. So say for example I bought one and blew the transfer case, How would I go by fixing it? Do I have to buy parts from the dealer or do other manufacturers/part shops have OEM replacements?

Old 09-30-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I think where the X type and any pre 2008 Jaguar stands out is the styling. They have a old world classic feel look.....But in the performance department BMW and AUDI are going to be superior than a X type.
BMW not a lot more than the Jag. However there are a lot of A4s I found with turbo engines and manuals.

Still have to do more research about that era of Audi's turbo engine and reliability.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any car and I really do mean any car in the years you're considering could have issues be it a Jag, BMW, Audi etc. The earlier X types could have transfer case load bearing problems but models after 2004 were much improved in the reliability aspect. These cars are now 10-15 years old which is why on test drive, if it looks well cared for, check for any warning lights or worrying noises on test drive. If all checks out, you probably have a good one. Be prepeared to spend some extra cash changing the oil in the auto box if applicable and transfer case/differential and those components should be protected assuming they're already in fine shape.

The internet is full of woe concerning every car - BMWs rust and subframe issues, cooling systems made from cheese. Audi's similarly, with the X type, it's transfer box hysteria. If the car has been driven properly and not abused and there are not leaks, all will probably be well.

if you like the X type package, search carefully and go for it...at this age, they really will be no better and no worse than any car of the same age which is why condition and service history means everything regarding future reliability.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would completely avoid X-Types at all costs! Seriously, they're awful, terrible cars, and ALL of them have problems with the transfer case- literally every single one of them. I actually heard that every single X-Type ever produced is set to blow up the transfer case on 1/1/18.

Just kidding folks, don't everyone get your panties in a bunch, just an inside joke between me and the OP. But it does seem like you're trying to talk yourself out of the X-Type.

Just my opinion- your biggest issue is your budget. I don't think you're going to find anything nice AND reliable in that price range. Maybe one or the other, and the three brands your eyeing are even harder to find a good one that cheap- as you know we tend to value these cars a little more than "other brands".

I happen to know where you can find a pretty decent X-Type, not terribly far from you.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

It is true the early models had transfer case issues, but seeing as teh car you are buying with be 15+ years old, if it was bad cahnces are it would have been replaced by now. As long as you do not notice any bad noises or vibrations during the test drive I would think you would be fine. Would definitely recommend changing all the fluids immediatley after you buy it to make sure you know where you are at with it. There is a ton of info on here about changing the fluid in the transfer case.

As for the Audi, my son had a 2002 A4 2.0 liter turbo. The turbo weent without warning at about 150K. Car was regularly serviced in teh 5+ years he owned it. Where we traded it in put a new turbo in and they told me that soon after that one went too. Like someone else said, cars that old and at that price point , no matter the make or model, could be a crapshoot. Do your due dilligence the best you can and hope for the best.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You are in WV, I would go with a pre 2004-1/2 model just for the awd system in it, it is uttery amazing in the snow with decent tires.

Check this link, https://www.iaai.com/Search, Buchannonnon WV gets alot of cars, not many Jags or BMWs but the public can buy in WV so you could really get a great buy there.

For transfer case issues, most would have happened by now so I would not worry too much about that. I got a Jasper conversion in my 2002, Bought it that way.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by innzane
You are in WV, I would go with a pre 2004-1/2 model just for the awd system in it, it is uttery amazing in the snow with decent tires.

Check this link, https://www.iaai.com/Search, Buchannonnon WV gets alot of cars, not many Jags or BMWs but the public can buy in WV so you could really get a great buy there.

For transfer case issues, most would have happened by now so I would not worry too much about that. I got a Jasper conversion in my 2002, Bought it that way.
Ok since you seem to know a lot about what I have in mind let me ask you few questions, or really this question is open to everyone to share their opinion,,

1. My understanding is that Pre-2004 X-types came with the viscous coupling transfer cases in which they are less reliable but has better power distribution than the 2004+ year which has open gear transfer but better reliability? Is my understanding correct?

2. I read some X-types came with traction control/Stability control button and others didn't. Does this mean the ones that don't have the button for it does not have traction/stabililty control? Or do they have it you just can't turn it off?

3. What's a Jasper conversion that you mentioned in your reply?

At this point I am literally 50/50 between the brands. Meaning I don't have a preference as of now and I will simply go with the better deal of the three (A4,Xtype,3series). Because it seems that if I buy an Audi turbo might go out at any second. Jag transfer case can go out any second and BMW will always have misfires and rough running at any point of ownership in which all three cost roughly the same to repair. So I am just gonna pray before I buy one lol

Old 10-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by oldpunk
I would completely avoid X-Types at all costs! Seriously, they're awful, terrible cars, and ALL of them have problems with the transfer case- literally every single one of them. I actually heard that every single X-Type ever produced is set to blow up the transfer case on 1/1/18.

Just kidding folks, don't everyone get your panties in a bunch, just an inside joke between me and the OP. But it does seem like you're trying to talk yourself out of the X-Type.

Just my opinion- your biggest issue is your budget. I don't think you're going to find anything nice AND reliable in that price range. Maybe one or the other, and the three brands your eyeing are even harder to find a good one that cheap- as you know we tend to value these cars a little more than "other brands".

I happen to know where you can find a pretty decent X-Type, not terribly far from you.

Dang it man hahahahaha

reading the first paragraph I was like what the hell. LOL

Yes you are not very far indeed so i will gladly come pick it up for free before the 1/1/2018 apocalypse.

On a serious note it seems you can't really go wrong with any of the three, A4s Xtypes and 3series are all good in their own ways. Just gotta make sure I find one within my budget. Pray for me brother.