X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying an X-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at buying an X-type

Hello all, I have done some searches on being a prospective buyer but I wanted to post here and see what was said. I am currently looking at an 03' jag X-type Sport w/ a 5spd, BRG, and beige interior (love the looks of it).

I am in my mid twenties and have been a Porsche owner for the past 8 years. I have had and still do have Porsche 944's. So working on my own car does not scare me. Those cars need a new timing belt every 45k. I still do and will always love Porsche, but I am up for some change in my daily driver. The AWD really peaks my interest and looks much more luxerious than a A4 Audi. And to boot it isa 5spd of which I am hyped about.

I am looking for some pros and cons of the X-type and particularly the Sport model and 5spd trans. The car I am looking at does have high mile at a tick over 100k for an 2003 but looks very clean and well maintained.
I was wondering what common problems existed in these models and various weak points of the car were. For instance I know in the mid-90's BMW 3 and 5 series the coolant system componenst are often culprit.

Thank you for your time and help!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: Looking at buying an X-type

Welcome !
Pre '04 models have a problematic tranny and they havesome noise from differential .Other than that some key fob problems as well as rattling air vents .I don't remember other problem areas

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy it you will not regret it

Old 11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Owned my 03/2002 5 spd manual 3.0 for 2.5yrs and no real problems.It had 49500 miles when I bought it and now has over 72000 miles.I drive mine quite hard a lot and clutch fine in mine (hope I havent opened my mouth too soon[X(])
I think the gearbox problems are mainly with some automatic boxes not manuals.There is no noticeable driveshaft or diff whine on mine.There was a squeak coming when turning the steering wheel slowly caused by dry seals in the steering column which I put up with for 2 years but this was fixed last month using a newadditive from Jaguar which costs £3 odd.
In the time I have had mine I replaced a rear wheel speed sensor which corroded and came off (new outer CV joint required as its integrated).A few months back I had the rear supension lower arms replaced due to wear in the bushes which are integrated in them.
Other than that no problems and a great and reliable (family) car with a fantastic feeling of safety, surefootedness in the dry,rain,greasy roadsand in snow.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 AM

Hello all and thank you kindly for the posts!

The color is either British Racing Green or Jaguar Racing Green. Not sure which green, but looks more like BRG to me.
The leather interior is beige and looks to be in great shape. The seller is asking a pinch over $8k. A local Jag dealer has some X-types w/ automatics that I thought about testdriving to see what I think of the car seeings how this would be first time sitting in a Jaguar.
I think that clutches either last forever or get killed in 50k miles, very driver dependant, not a function of the car.
I agree 100%! On my 1984 Porsche 944 I had 242,000 miles and still on the original clutch when I sold the car! I never dumped it or roasted the tires mainly because the car was not made for it and because changing clutches on those cars are extermely time consuming (8-10+ hours) and expensive.

So good to hear about the 5spd X-types being a plus! Are there performance suspension bushings (or something that is considered an upgrade)available for when the OE ones give out?

Is the 2.5L a Ford based engine or is it a full-blown Jaguar powerplant?

Does it run a timing belt or chain and what is the change interval?
Thanks a bunch guys!
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 AM

Oh also I second the use of some better tranny fluid. I have always had great luck with Redline MT-90 in my Porsche transaxles.
put redline MTL in mine and it shifts really well now..
Did you just replace the tranny or tranny and differential fluid too?
Thank you!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I've seen it's a double roller timingchain, and yes it's a ford. might cheese some people but yes it's got the ford reliability and all jaguar panache. love mine. 02 auto sport everything but cd changer. great ride! good luck motoring, Bill

Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome and surefootedness is something you'll never lack! The car is stable in all conditions and if its a sport you are looking at it should have dynamic stability control which the button is to the right of the cupholder it has a car swerving. If you live in an area where winter happens you'll appreciate the car very very much! Not to mention what your getting in return. The automatic trans are what have the problems as some have stated there hasn't been too many people with problems on the manual. I had my driveshaft replaced and other than small quirks the car has been pretty good...knock on wood...

Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  7.4 KB

Hi Chas n welcome.

Sounds like a greta car in good shape, even though high mileage. As long as its been well maintained that shouldn't be a problem. There was an articel on one that did over 340,000 miles in 3 -4 years I think it was as was as good as gold but had been serviceed and maintianed regularly throughout.
Mines an 02 and only had 16k at 4 years old and is now still only at 28k miles and has been absolutely fine.......You will soooo love the AWD
Go for the 5 sp manual too

Jim

Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup...that's the one. I wonder how proud one would be of reaching 500,000 miles, or even 1,000,000. I bet he must be proud.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah but I could only imagine all the suspension parts that needed fixing if nothing went wrong powertrain wise! I bet that would cost you an arm and a leg!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder how much he spent on tires?

Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my x-type in July. I have put on 8k miles (43k miles now). I was just saying the other day how since i have gotten this car everyone has said be prepared for a big repair bill and i was just thinking how the car proved them wrong. Well, today my check engine light came on and I am waiting to get it scanned. I just bought some new software for my laptop so I will be able to run a diagnostic myself instead of waiting for the people at autozone to do it or taking it to the dealer to the tune of 125 bucks. I dont think its anything mechanical since i dont hear any grinding or weird motor noise. Ughh..here we go.

The big plus with these cars is the awd. They run on premium fuel and dont get great mileage. The interior is cheap. The dash vents dont fit. Build quality is poor. However, it is a great looking car.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member

Peewee,
I drive dozens of cars a week working in an insuranceapproved car body repair shop.
Build quality on my Jag is excellent...no rattles,no squeaks and vents that dont pop out (anymore) whereasthe vast majority of the other cars that I drive have some squeak,rattle or noise no where near where the accident damage was.This is true of some of the more expensive cars likeMercs,BMWs,Audis,as well as Fords,Vauxhalls,Nissans etc etc.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

Peewee,
I drive dozens of cars a week working in an insuranceapproved car body repair shop.
Build quality on my Jag is excellent...no rattles,no squeaks and vents that dont pop out (anymore) whereasthe vast majority of the other cars that I drive have some squeak,rattle or noise no where near where the accident damage was.This is true of some of the more expensive cars likeMercs,BMWs,Audis,as well as Fords,Vauxhalls,Nissans etc etc.

If a run over a rock the size of a pea my whole car squeaks. It squeaks from the back, the front, the doors, etc. I just ripped my dash vents out today because one side was completly out. Also my check engine light decided to turn itself off today. I am still going to run a diagnostic though.I like how the car looks its very refined but the cheap interior pieces pisses me off. Sometimes i think a bird is in my trunk with all the squeaks and chirps.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

My car squeaks too namely on the bumps and uneven surfaces and mind it's a Caddy [&:].I hate cheap plastic interiors as well .[:'(]