Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying an X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looking at buying an X-Type

Hi all.

I'm looking at the X-Type to replace my daily driver. I figure that one sitting next to my wife's S-Type in the driveway would look nice. They seem to be pretty reliable and fairly comfortable from what I read in the web. They're also really easy to find locally.

The car will be subjected to extreme environments (heavy dust and sand, mud and mist, and harsh sun).

So, for those of you who know, are there any particular years to avoid? Or any that stand out above others?

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

The transfer case was changed between the 2003 and 2004 model years.
If you want real AWD go with the earlier models. Otherwise look for the DSC option.

The following users liked this post:
tmurray (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Tender
If you want real AWD go with the earlier models. Otherwise look for the DSC option.
If you want real AWD get yourself a Subaru with manual gearbox or an SUV

Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

The Sport has bigger wheels , so a slightly harder ride , The SE is a good choice smaller wheels better ride & some bells & whistles to play with .2.5 & 3.0 are both good engines & the 3.0 has more ummmph than 2.5 with only about 1mpg penalty on mpg. Bigger engine may be good choice , as you live in a big State within a big country . Autos are nice & relaxed , but 5 speed manual is good fun & you may gain just a little more on economy. You may get a little transfer box whine & some tyres can give off a bit of road roar . Early 2002 ( Like my Classic ) may only be fitted with a cassette player & watch for corrosion under the plastic sills on early models .Serviced & looked after properly , should be pretty bullet proof , great paint work . ABS braking sensors can be problomatic , although fix should be reasonably easy with correct diagnostics . Great to park due to compact dimensions , but a little tightin the rear seats ....Oh be a little wary of leaking early 4x4 transfer boxes. Later ones were mechanical , not hydraulic .

Last edited by Five Speed; 02-05-2013 at 03:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Five Speed:
JimC64 (02-05-2013), Stuart Beattie (02-06-2013), tmurray (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, folks. So it looks like I should look for a 3.0 post 2003 and be aware of the abs issues. I'm not too worried about back seat room, since the dogs will mainly ride back there.

It seems like they're all around $7000.00 from 2002 through 2006. Not much range in price, so I guess they hold their value.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
If you want real AWD get yourself a Subaru with manual gearbox or an SUV
The X-Type lives right next to a Subaru Forester. I had the Jag over a bank and into a field and drove it out. I did keep it out of the creek. The problem wasn't going, it was stopping at the bottom of a steep slippery hill. I am pretty sure the Forester would have done the same. I have had it in some slippery situations. So far I am happy with the X-Type's snow abilities.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Hi tmurray and fellow enthusiasts:

Good day to you all,
I've had 3 X~types, 2 of the AWD 2.5 variant and a 2.0 SE and I believe the 2.5 AWD is the most capable of cars to drive.
To be honest, I would veer to a Jeep Cherokee (grand) if the terrain is off road or bumpy, deep mud that sort of thing...
But, the X Type is amazingly capable, having drifted through 3 foot and deeper snow drifts when I haphazardly mistook a turn-off onto a back road one winter. But from what you've said, I don't think you're looking for a jeep/landrover!!!
There is not much in comparison between the SE and Sport models unless the skirting and bodywork has been extended with after market parts.
My present model is the 2.5 sport (late 2002) and I have no problem (apart from a coolant leak which I put down to wear n tear, plus I haven't had the car long, only 3 months). The 2005 2.5 I had was very pleasing and comfortable and most capable. The 2002 model I have has been on snow and ice and I trust it completely!
I think the only drawback is for heavy deep mud and snow, I say that because of the low sporty styling catches all and sundry! This I realised when stepping from a grand cherokee in deep snow and setting off in the X Type. I was embarrassed to get stuck and got a tow out from a pal!!!
I had turned into an uncleared carpark and stopped to reverse-mistake! If you stop on heavy soft snow, you probably will get stuck too as the bodywork sinks and you have a problem with it compacting under the car. A shovel comes in handy too, I have driven automatics and when the weather turns, I drive using the manual J Gate and sport mode if the going gets heavy. I haven't been stuck again so it's also a combination of my driving and experience!!! Ho Ho! Plus, if I park for a while, I make sure it's a clear area! Tmurray, I believe you are quite comfortable in the S Type and I believe the ride is very similar although the S is more roomy. To round off, the AWD variant is brill and I've never considered the 3.0L simply because I live in the UK (Petrol Prices!!! Ka-Ching!) AND THE 2.5 IS A DAMN DECENT CAR!!!
To note, the 02 model I now drive had the transfer box replaced 2 years ago and many in the UK were recalled and replaced to my knowledge. So from that view, if you source a car with a documented history and well serviced/looked after model, you should find one that should be A1, ready for purpose/adventure/enjoyment and whatever you choose, it's your car!!
Good Luck!! Stu

The following users liked this post:
Five Speed (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Plus.....

To cap off I believe all AWD cars have the same problem and that's because they ARE CARS!
No detriment intended at all because SUV Jeeps and Landrovers have the higher whellbase and longer reach.
If it's for off-road an SUV is recommended, but the AWD X_TYPE will do it, no problem, alas, you may leave parts behind!!!
I hope that's helpful....Stu

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

According to my research both the early and late transfer boxes are mechanical. The difference between them is that the early boxes have the addition of a viscous limited slip diff whereas the later ones are open diffs.

Originally Posted by Five Speed
....................Oh be a little wary of leaking early 4x4 transfer boxes. Later ones were mechanical , not hydraulic .