Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission clunking

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual Transmission clunking

2002 X-type 2.5L w/ Manual transmission

Whenever i shift, sometimes there is a clunk or jerk. Recently the clunking was gotten worse, or it seems that way and i can't stand it anymore. It can happen at low or high rpm shifting. I shift slow and easy and it still does it. I just changed the gear oil in the transmission, and it seems like it got a little better. What else could it be? I am planning on changing the transfer case fluid over the weekend.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey there, I have about the same car, '02 X-Type, 2.5L, 5speed, 85K. I've only had my Jag a couple of months so I don't have much advice on a clunking transmission, but maybe you should change the trans fluid again to flush out more debris and gunk.

How much transmission fluid did you remove and how much did you put back in? The fluid capacity of the trans is 1.84 Qts.

I replaced the gear oil in my transfer case & rear differential last wknd. but when I got to the trans I realized the refill valve I used on the transfer case was not going to fit the drain plug hole on the trans.

My question is how did you refill the transmission once it was drained.

I'm sure one of the Gurus around here will pipe up soon!

GoodLuck

Old 09-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Re: the original poster's issue - I don't know this to be a common problem on this car, but I'd be checking motor mounts and other support points for a problem like that. My last car - a Volvo S70 - had a known issue with the top engine mount (technically, a torque rod bushing) splitting and allowing more movement of the engine than was intended or acceptable. I would expect that such a problem would be common to any car with a transverse mounted engine, and failure of such powertrain locating bushings/mounts would cause the symptoms you describe.

Again, I don't know if that's an issue with our cars, but it's something to look into.

Re: the transmission, I recall reading that there is a separate fill plug that is accessible, unlike the transfer case fill plug that we can't get to with the TC installed.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

when was the last time you changed the oil? As well hove you or previous owner ever used a oil additive,as their are only a few that dont make our car hiccup.I use lucas products,,,but when i first got the car a friend gave me a dure lube..kit...and my tranny started,slapping into gear,as well as spotty shifting..dont use ant with polymers in them...as i changed the oil promptly after the noise it went away...our tranny's our a touchy sort.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses. First, for the transmission, the JTIS shows two seperate plugs, one for draining and one for refilling. No oil additive has ever been used, I am the only owner of this car. I will check the motor mounts, for some reason that slipped my mind as a cause to the problem. Thanks for the tips and hopefully i can get it fixed.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rycymru
Thanks for the responses. First, for the transmission, the JTIS shows two seperate plugs, one for draining and one for refilling. No oil additive has ever been used, I am the only owner of this car. I will check the motor mounts, for some reason that slipped my mind as a cause to the problem. Thanks for the tips and hopefully i can get it fixed.
Let us know how the clunking problem turns out. You might be the first on this board with such a problem, but you probably won't be the last!