X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Jaguar generating Aggro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your Jaguar generating Aggro?

I have a 2002 X-Type and I'm in the Boston, MA area.

I was wondering... given the economic bust period for the last couple of years I was wondering if any one else has been the target of "Jaguar Aggro" (a term I'm making up that comes from gaming to mean: "hate" generated by passersby against the innocent vehicle just for being there)?

I ask because over the years and not counting 2 replacements of the hood ornament, my car has been the victim of random keyings and way too many "careless door slams" which nicely skuff and mark up the doors and body - and it's way too much/often to just be accidental - especially where the keyings are concerned....

So... what about the rest of you? Has your car been subject to... aggro?

Though I do have to say, and probably shouldn't as this will probably undo the "magic," when I last replaced my hood ornament, I bought an extra. Since then (almost 5 years ago) nothing's happened such that I'd need it. Now that's the best $120 I've spent... :-)

PHIL

Note: I'm generally not a jerk and do not believe to be the specific target of this aggro as these things happen in all sorts of random parking lots

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Aggro

I also live in Ma, in the Springfield area. I have owned luxury cars for decades and never had an Aggro problem. Sorry to say I think it is just the attitude of the Boston culture that has damaged your car.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Just a thought, what colour is your X Type?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by RSVG
Just a thought, what colour is your X Type?
It's the standard British Racing Green with tan interior - because that was the dream... ;-)

Why? Do you think the color may have its own aggro potential on the jag? Sigh...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM

Wouldn't have thought the colour has anything to do with it. My Jag is bright red and doesn't get undue attention. Where I live though, the cars of choice seem to be Porche 911s, Range Rovers and BMWs, which I think are far more ostentatious than our X-types...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Boston......

What else can I say...

I'm not going to poke the karma police by making any statements about how i don't have this problem around here....whoops....

Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had any issues at all when I lived out there. Driving a Jag, Range Rover and my wife's Mercedes Benz.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 AM

Theres actually a couple of studies (one a thesis) that show that a vehicle colour can effect peoples perception of value and exclusiveness. Ill try and find them and post a link.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Yes, I have also read about color perception could be an issue with some people when they see a car, I believe Silver, Black were high on the list I read.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Smile Aggro

My car is light blue, a beautiful colour by the way.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Yes, I have also read about color perception could be an issue with some people when they see a car, I believe Silver, Black were high on the list I read.
Hmm, I wonder if people had a tendancy to urinate on yellow cars. I've never had an issue up here with any vehicle, prior to the Jagon I had a Z3, no issues then either. Mine is the regular silver.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a black x-type sport, live in Allentown PA. and getthis all the time. I bought the car in perfect shape and now have 3 dents because people "accidentally" open their door into it. Its really a shame. As a matter of fact I witnessed one person do this. It was a n old man in a ford pickup. He got out of his car, at this point there was no need to open the door any further, looked at my car and just slammed his door into it. I confronted him about it because I saw it but that really gets to me.

Its hard to keep these cars nice. And doesnt it seem like even if you park far away from everyone theres always that one person who has to park next to you anyway...lol.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Shame on him and his octogenarians , I just reprimand his nasty behaviour deeply

Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I told the organizers of my 40th HS reunion I could not really justify spending $39 on a $12 meal and would not go, they offered me a charity hardship free ticket. I am afraid if I accept and then show up in a triple black jaguar with chrome rims, there will be some direct in my face aggro!
Everybody assumes if you have a Jaguar, you are made out of money. It is more a case of just being self indulgent and unapologetically so but nobody gets that.
Thank you for interesting thread. --Tom

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Smile Self Indulgence

Originally Posted by thomash85715
When I told the organizers of my 40th HS reunion I could not really justify spending $39 on a $12 meal and would not go, they offered me a charity hardship free ticket. I am afraid if I accept and then show up in a triple black jaguar with chrome rims, there will be some direct in my face aggro!
Everybody assumes if you have a Jaguar, you are made out of money. It is more a case of just being self indulgent and unapologetic ally so but nobody gets that.
Thank you for interesting thread. --Tom
I agree all the luxury cars I owned over the years were self indulgences. I am retired and could afford to buy the 03 for cash, but the maintenance cost are going to be tough.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Smile Aggro

Originally Posted by rhriczko
I have a black x-type sport, live in Allentown PA. and getthis all the time. I bought the car in perfect shape and now have 3 dents because people "accidentally" open their door into it. Its really a shame. As a matter of fact I witnessed one person do this. It was a n old man in a ford pickup. He got out of his car, at this point there was no need to open the door any further, looked at my car and just slammed his door into it. I confronted him about it because I saw it but that really gets to me.

Its hard to keep these cars nice. And doesnt it seem like even if you park far away from everyone theres always that one person who has to park next to you anyway...lol.
As I once read in a book by a Dr David Ballan, don't remember the name of the book however. In he states, "people are lousy" So this could be part of the answer.