X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

from Mina back to stock exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default from Mina back to stock exhaust....

Does anyone know if it's easy to go back from Mina exhaust to stock ones - from an installation perspective.

The old mufflers clearly cannot be used since they were sawed off. But if I uninstall the Mina ones would it be a simple case of replacing them with stock mufflers or do I need to install more than that?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

If the exhaust is in good condition, you might be best off to find someone who has a stock exhaust, also in good condition, and trade straight across.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Aluni, why are you getting rid of the MIna mufflers? Just curious. What are you planning on doing with the Mina mufflers?

As for getting the exhaust system back to stock, stop on by and get the factory ones we cut off and any exhaust shop will be able to weld them back on for you. SHould only cost you at most $50. IF I had my own place, I would tell you to stop by and I would weld them on for you. But, I currently don't have a 220V outlet to use my welder with.

The following users liked this post:
aluni2230 (04-23-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Aluni, why are you getting rid of the MIna mufflers? Just curious. What are you planning on doing with the Mina mufflers?

As for getting the exhaust system back to stock, stop on by and get the factory ones we cut off and any exhaust shop will be able to weld them back on for you. SHould only cost you at most $50. IF I had my own place, I would tell you to stop by and I would weld them on for you. But, I currently don't have a 220V outlet to use my welder with.
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I will try and see if it was just a sloppy install. First, the tips are sticking out. Next the orientation looks bolted on rather than nicely integrated with the rear of the car. Chris, at Mina said it can be fixed easily. We'll see. Plus, while I like the sound it isn't enough to make up for the poor aesthetics at this point. It sticks out like a sore thumb for now

Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Sorry. Forget to respond. I haven't decided what to do with the mufflers. Looks like I am piling up unused accessories at a steady clip. May be we could trade, since I threw my stock mufflers away! Only had the Mina for a day...

But there is the welding issue now....

Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Veteran member

Aluni, maybe I am mixing up people here, but didn't you get them installed down at my place? If so, let me take a look and see what I can do about getting them to set the way that you want. IF you did get them installed somewhere else, I will still look at them and see what I can do about making them fit like you want. THe set I installed were easy to adjust and make fit like there were supposed to be part of the car.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Veteran member

Aluni, sorry, I just did a look through my pics and it was NAV that I did the Mina exhaust for. Here is a pic of what his looked like once he drove away.

I hopefully should be able to get yours to look like this too. Worst case, I'm sure we can work out a deal about getting things swapped around.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Aluni, sorry, I just did a look through my pics and it was NAV that I did the Mina exhaust for. Here is a pic of what his looked like once he drove away.

I hopefully should be able to get yours to look like this too. Worst case, I'm sure we can work out a deal about getting things swapped around.
That's much nicer than mine! That install looks just right. I have the oval tips. May be if I can't get it fixed tomorrow AM I could come see you sometime. I live in Tyson's Corner, VA. I got mine installed by Chantilly Jaguar, because they've been better than Rosenthal Jag in Tysons who are just a couple of miles from me.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Since you like the sound, then a fitment problem ought to be addressed directly as Thermo suggested rather than dumping the Mina. It's just an adjustment, or at most a cut and weld.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Since you like the sound, then a fitment problem ought to be addressed directly as Thermo suggested rather than dumping the Mina. It's just an adjustment, or at most a cut and weld.
+1

it should be easy to fix

Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM

X type with stock tips:

X type with Mina exhaust ( done right finally)

side profile:

Close up: in my opinion it is still sticking out an extra 1/2 inch than it should. But without additional cutting of pipes that is the most it goes in.

I have to admit the sound makes the car appear more powerful than it is and increases the propensity to speed!

Attached Thumbnails from Mina back to stock exhaust....-photo%2520apr%252020-%25209%252018%252014%2520am.jpg   from Mina back to stock exhaust....-photo%2520apr%252023-%252011%252047%252048%2520am.jpg   from Mina back to stock exhaust....-photo%2520apr%252023-%252011%252045%252030%2520am.jpg   from Mina back to stock exhaust....-photo%2520apr%252023-%252011%252049%252024%2520am.jpg  

Last edited by Cadillac; 04-24-2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Images exceed forum sizes
Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

So did Thermo fix you up?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 PM

So did Thermo fix you up?
No. The dealer this morning. I got instructions from Chris at Mina ( what a great guy!) and showed it to the guy there.

Actually, the final version has both tips parallel. If you notice they are slightly angled here. The dealer is only a couple of miles from where I live.

The before after is more significant visually then the picture shows in my opinion. The stock tips almost look like pea shooters compared to this.

Which one do you think looks better, stock or Mina

Chris from Mina is also sending me a round tip and I can pick which version I prefer.

Overall, I still think Thermo did a better fitting for Nav. I wish mine went in a little more still, may be an inch more. Bur that would require more cutting and the like.....

Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

The round will probably look better in the end.

Exhaust piples are round, anything else is decoration.

The cutouts on your rear valance are also semi-circular because the originals were round.
So, round tips will avoid a mismatch.

When putting on the round, it would be a good time to do the final length adjustment.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM

The round will probably look better in the end.

Exhaust piples are round, anything else is decoration.

The cutouts on your rear valance are also semi-circular because the originals were round.
So, round tips will avoid a mismatch.

When putting on the round, it would be a good time to do the final length adjustment.
I agree. The ovals are a mismatch right now. Not sure the shops near me are able to cut the tips etc. I went to a Midas and Mieneke near me just to ask and they were not willing to do anything to improve the fit and finish beyond what you see here.

If you like a deeper sound the Mina's a great because it's a subtle rumble not just loud. However, having owned this car for so long now it seems like too great a personality shift for me! Thermo will be back in town at the end of next month at which time I'll probably remember this as another experiment. I just don't know yet

It's also obvious that the build quality of the Mina exhausts are quite a bit superior to the stock.

Last edited by aluni2230; 04-23-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hope you don't mean cutting the exposed end of the tip.

The cut would be at the muffler/resonator or the tip interface, or somewhere else along the pipes under the car.

Maybe the pipes aren't seated into each other enough at one of the joints.

Anyways, a *custom* shop or Thermo can take care of it. The chains are not really interested in this type of work. Especially if they did not do the original install.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM

Hope you don't mean cutting the exposed end of the tip.

The cut would be at the muffler/resonator or the tip interface, or somewhere else along the pipes under the car.

Maybe the pipes aren't seated into each other enough at one of the joints.

Anyways, a *custom* shop or Thermo can take care of it. The chains are not really interested in this type of work. Especially if they did not do the original install.
Based on what I saw, the only part you can cut without effecting the stability of the system is the exhaust tip. The part that connects to the muffler. So it is hidden under the car.

In any case, at this point I think I don't want to invest any more on it.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Nav
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Aluni, Thermo installed mine. He took the time to get this set right before it all was bolted down. I chose to have my dual exhaust tips stick out a tiny bit pretty much like the way you have yours! to each his own! The pic of mine doesn't show it. i love them, love the sound, no longer a silent ride inside but not a big deal to me.

Anyway its all just bolted together so u should be able to losen the bolt and push the tip and muffler closer together. its interesting that chantilly jaguar didnt set it correctly for you. thats where i go for service too.

YouTube - Jaguar X-Type Rev Test with Mina Gallery Exhaust Installed

Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nav
Hi Aluni, Thermo installed mine. He took the time to get this set right before it all was bolted down. I chose to have my dual exhaust tips stick out a tiny bit pretty much like the way you have yours! to each his own! The pic of mine doesn't show it. i love them, love the sound, no longer a silent ride inside but not a big deal to me.

Anyway its all just bolted together so u should be able to losen the bolt and push the tip and muffler closer together. its interesting that chantilly jaguar didnt set it correctly for you. thats where i go for service too.

YouTube - Jaguar X-Type Rev Test with Mina Gallery Exhaust Installed
Nav, Thermo did a nice job on yours. In fact one of the pictures I took back to them was yours!

In fact Chantilly Jaguar fixed everything finally. They are a very helpful shop. I bought my x type there. Although I live only 2 miles from Rosenthal Jag.

I like the sound and quality of the mufflers. However, like I said it's something you have to adjust to. I have my X for almost 5 years now and it's a totally new personality.

When I got these I didn't know Mina also had round tips. Chris at Mina is shipping me round tips as well. The tips are pretty easy to swap.

For anyone considering these exhausts, I have to say I highly recommend them for fit,finish and quality. The sound of course goes up, but the tone is at a level where it's not disturbing at cruising speeds. My own experience has been is that my avg. Speed has gone up since I've installed them