X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More of a 2003 Coolant Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More of a 2003 Coolant Problem

Hello again everyone. I noticed a different issue today in regards to my coolant system acting up. When I went to purge air out of the system (running the car with the coolant reservoir cap removed) I noticed that about 5 or 10 minuted into it, there was a small amount of steam coming out of the reservoir. Although it wasn't overflowing or bubbling/boiling, I found this extremely odd and stopped the process immediately. Any ideas as to why this was happening? Or is it normal (almost positive it's not)

Thanks!

Edit: I also had the heater running full blast, not using re circulation

Edit 2: Here are two videos I recorded on what I'm explaining. Hopefully someone can help me out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvh9...ature=youtu.be Exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgeXj...ature=youtu.be Coolant Reservoir

Last edited by colin3342; 04-18-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Colin, it is possible that you were getting steam out of the engine. There is a reason why our cars run on a pressurized coolant system. We are running them close to the boiling point and it is possible that you will get a small amount of vapor out of the overflow bottle. I liken this to trying to get a pot of water to boil on the stove. You can get the pot to steam slightly before the water starts to boil.

As for the steam out of the tailpipe, I have to ask if you had just started the car (or had it running for less than 2 minutes) or if that was taken after having the car running for say 10 minutes. With the improved combustion of the newer engines, the exhaust systems are for the most part only putting out water vapor and CO2. With a cold exhaust system, it is cooling the exhaust far enough that the water vapor in the exhaust system is reaching the point of trying to turn back into water. Also, the hot exhaust gases are trying to pull the water that has collected in the exhaust when you turned off the car. You can also experience this when it is cooler outside and the humidity levels are up near 100%.

Last edited by Thermo; 04-18-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 PM

As far as the tailpipe, it had been running for roughly, if not a little more than, 5 minutes. Although I have been battling with the car overheating, it never got higher than the optimal operating temperature with the heat running. (Didn't turn off the heat because I Was confused on the steam from the coolant reservoir) I am going to see if the car overheats with the heater running on full blast driving around town. If it doesn't overheat with the heater running and it DOES overheat without it on, what could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks

Colin

Last edited by colin3342; 04-18-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My thoughts exactly Thermo on the steaming on a open system, seen it many times. Also agree on the condensation in the tail pipe. My driveway is pitched and if the engine has been running for only a few minutes or restarted after cooling down it gushes out the tail pipe like someone put water in it, not that it maters if I agree just saying

Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 PM

Yeah, I know what you're saying. The smoke appears when I am revving it to roughly 2000-3000 RPM. But you think the cause of that is the thermostat? I may look into replacing it again. Hopefully it solves it; Not really wanting to do the head gaskets or radiator.

Thanks

Colin

Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi Colin, I see you're in Huntsville, TX. I'm in Waco right now but was until recently working in Huntsville, AL.

The smoke at 2 to 3 k rpm, do mean from the reservoir bottle or the exhaust? Either could be perfectly normal. When I refilled ours after having it apart, I got steam out of the reservoir. Some not much. And steam out of the tailpipes is normal too, especially in cooler, high humidity springtime weather in TX, for the first several minutes after starting a cold engine.
I suspect on the reservoir bottle if you put the cap back on and the car is running normal temps you were just seeing a little bit of evaporation manifested as steam rising up. No factor.