X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My evaporative emission system does not exist

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My evaporative emission system does not exist

I drove around without the filler cap no codes.

i tried replacing the purge valve no purge valve cycle. No dtc related to purge valve at all

Filling up the gas is very slow.

Looking at raw mode $06 data shows no evap system leak test support at all.

When i overhault the jag I’ll see if I can trace the wires for the fuel pressure sensor and canister close valves. Maybe I have a bad ecu after all?

Itd a a good thing we don’t have emission testing in the Isle of Man!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STILL 2 MONITORS NOT READY and NO GAS CAP CODE.

Rogelio, I see your post was 6 months ago, I am wondering if you have sorted your car out yet? Your cat is an XType I think, I have a 1999 XK8 with 85k. I am English and have lived in California, San Diego for 35 years, and we DO have emission testing here. I was a Jag Mechanic, and had a Smog License, before I retired. Last Oct. I took my car for a smog, it failed the OBD11 because of monitors not ready, but sailed through the Tail Pipe test. at the time I did not know which monitors were not ready, (California changed the number allowed from 2 to 1). I went home and got my scanner, I had Evap, and Comp. It had been so long since I had any thing to do with Smog's I just barely remembered some thing about Monitors. so I started researching, until my eyes were bleeding. Here we are 1 year later, still the same, after 3,000 miles 170 Gall's of Premium, and $ 600, and it needs a Smog again in Oct. I have all of the details some where on this Forum. I have NEVER had a DTC. MIL. or Freeze Frame. I am going to attach a print out from my scanner from this August. My scanner shows 2 tests, it calls them O2 Monitor Test, and On Board Monitor Test. On this print out it shows a Fail at Test 07 Data - (ID) 11 - (MOD) $11, Some times I will also get Test 0a Data - (ID) 11- (MOD) $11, and, Test 22 Data - (ID) 11 - (MOD) $11 as fails as well. About 1 week ago for some reason I had to try something different, So I drove around without my Gas Cap on. No Codes, nothing changed, I think You and I are the Only people in the World that this is happening to.I have googled every which way and read Everything, No Luck Nothing. I thought could it be the Fuel Tank Ptessure Sensor, as that is the only thing sending Info to the ECM. but I read that if the ECM, sees the sensor voltage High, or Low it will throw out a DTC. BUT it will also do it if it sees no activity. So now what? PS. I have no trouble Filling up. If you have found the problem, or not let me know. Thanks Mike.

Attached Files
Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM

Hi I have not been able to sort it out. I still have 2 pending monitors.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Wow, as you said glad you don't have Smog there, What happens in California is you get your Smog, the Cert. goes of to Sacramento over the phone, you can pay for you Registration on Line, then your new Tag and Registration is mailed to you from Sacramento. If you fail Smog you pay your fees on line to avoid late charges, then you get a letter saying you don't have your tags because your registration is not complete, NO Smog, and you can have your car impounded if you are caught driving it. You can get a 30 day temporary Registration for $60 one time only. but you have to drive it to do Drive Cycles. You cannot go out at night, because you look as if you are driving drunk , plus you cannot see your instructions, and stop watch. Also if the Evap does not run within a certain time (one + hour) the car has to be parked up for 8 hours before it will run again.I have been mainly just going out trying to do a Drive Cycle in traffic. then go home.it sucks. Because I cannot see anything wrong I am at a loss, I did put Bank 1 and 2 Downstream O2 sensors on the same Torque Pro Graph and found that the Bank 2 sensor lagged behind Bank 1 some times not doing anything other times, I thought that must be the failures that Torque Pro Mode $06 came up with. so I replaced it, what a pain, any way it does not seem to make any difference, I am going to put the one I took of on bank 1 and see what happens. I will try to check the tank pressure sensor without taking the tank out. The last thing I want to do is take it to the dealer $250 min charge I hear., I have thought about shipping it to Europe as it is so clean under neath with perfect paint. well I guess I will do some more research.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 PM

According to circuit diagrams from the x type electrical library only NAS (North American Spec) models have evap test systems installed. Maybe it was not required in Europe up to at least around 2003. Maybe your car is imported from Europe? And not updated to NAS?

I can probably rig a stand alone system with a few valves and pressure sensors and a micro controller and connect to the can bus. I don’t know how to make it turn off the monitor test in the existing ecu though.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

@ mdiamond, you might have better success posting in the correct forum for XK8 where other owners have experience with your specific model.

This is the X Type (X400) forum.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

@ Rogelio, try this and heed post #5 =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-plug-194767/

Old 09-11-2018, 04:04 AM
Default Lost

Yes I did not realize where I was.. In fact I am completely lost.