X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Goal, A code free X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I have not yet replaced the battery. I did try to read the codes from the dash display last night. I do not know what codes I am looking for that relate to ABS and DSC. I will borrow a code reader and post the codes. I did notice that while scrolling through the information on the message center that battery voltage was 12.0.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Ken you have been dealing with issues since February and a few months ago you mentioned that you believed there was a battery issue. It might not have been the only issue you had, but after this length of time it seems like it would be cheap and easy to replace that and be able to cross the battery off the list of what could be contributing to your issues. And best case maybe everything would disappear with a new battery.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Hi,
I have charged the battery, but not replaced. The store will not replace it under warranty as it test good on their tester.
Newest issues: ABS light on intermittently. Check engine light now comes on solid. the only code is C1165. I hope to send the ABS computer out for testing and repair next week.

New update:
I used a better Snap on code reader and got code P1582 flight recorder

Last edited by ken736cc; 06-27-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Ken Several of the best brains on this forum are suggesting you try a new battery or new battery cables. That's good advice, and a lot cheaper & less effort than the other repairs you're considering, even without warranty coverage on the old battery. My non-Jaguars can limp along on a weak battery until I get around to replacing it, but my X-Type insists on a strong battery.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Hi Everyone. I Installed a new Interstate battery this morning. Early trials show no improvement. The check engine light is on, DSC warning lights as soon as the car rolls forward. ABS light will activate shortly after that. The car still runs and drives great. I will put some miles on it and report back.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Ken: Now that you have a new battery, clear the codes, drive it until the CEL comes on again, then let us know what codes appear in the order they appear. Order is important - the first few codes tell the most about what your car is unhappy about, and subsequent codes may be just "noise" that clears up after you address the first issues.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM

Hi,
I have disconnected the battery in an attempt to clear codes. I believe there is a TSB that indicates that P1582 flight recorder code cannot be cleared using standard OBDII readers. I need to get the check engine light cleared for good. The car will not pass NY state inspection with a check engine light on. Of course the inspection is due in a few days. dwclapp, I will borrow a code reader and see if I can get the information that you requested.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Hi,
Here is the latest update. I sent my ABS computer to BBA Re manufacturing. I received the computer back and installed it. The ABS light is out and the check engine light is out. Unfortunately the DSC warning will come on as soon as the car moves. I have not yet been able to check for codes. The car is drivable and ABS appears to be working normally.

Ken

Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM

Hi
I have decided that I can live without functioning DSC. Does anyone know of a way to disable the DSC, or at least eliminate the warning from the dashboard?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 PM

I have driven for a few weeks now with DSC light and warning. I would like to make the light go out. I have been told by the company that repaired the ABS computer that these symptoms point to a faulty ABS pump. I think that I can change this at home. Does anyone know if there are any tricks or problems to watch out for when changing the pump? Cam I bleed the brakes like a normal car?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Still no change or improvement regarding DSC. I have driven for a few months now with DSC light and warning.
I have not yet changed the ABS pump. I am concerned that I would need a special procedure or special tools to bleed the brakes after installation. I believe the pump may not be the problem anyway. The pump can only do what the computer tells it to do and the computer will only do what the sensors tell it to do. Does the DSC rely on any sensors other than the wheel sensors? If so, where are they and how can they be tested? Any help , opinions or experience is appreciated.

Ken

Old 08-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Get the code(s) read and post here. That would be the best way to have someone be able to point you in the right direction to getting this resolved once and for all.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Default Mission accomplished, no more codes

I have been driving this X Type by turning the DSC off. Last week, the battery started to give trouble. It would go dead overnight. I could hear the interior heating/cooling fan running intermittently, even with the car turned off. I had the car towed to the dealer (Jaguar in Huntington, N.Y. ). I asked for the battery issue to be repaired and an estimate to repair the DSC. They were able to trace the battery issue to a failed relay for the fan. The problem with the DSC was the steering sensor in the steering column. They also replaced both battery cables. AT LAST everything works as it should.
The repair took 6 days, allowing for a weekend. Jaguar Huntington delivered a loaner car to the house. It was a 2015 XJ, loaded with options! Wow, what a car.
The repairs were not inexpensive, but worth it. It has been my experience that independent repair shops cannot make most repairs to the X type as quickly or as cost effectively as the dealer and there is not a huge price difference. You also don't get a loaner car from an independent. I am happy with the result.

SHORT VERSION: Problem all along with the DSC was the sensor in the steering column.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that after all this time you finally got it sorted. Sounded like you had a number of things that needed to be addressed originally, but the final one, a steering sensor, is something I can't say I have heard anyone ever replacing before. After all these years and reading posts on hear almost daily for 7 years you think you have heard of everything that can go wrong on an X-Type.

Hope you have happy motoring for a long time now. Maybe you can join Thermo in the XJ club.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:04 PM

Alfadude, thanks for your help and patience. It did seem strange to have so many failures at once. I wonder if the battery cables had anything to do with all the wonky electronics.
As for the XJ, It was just a loaner car. I enjoyed driving it but I did not like being responsible for $80,000.00 worth of equipment.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Ken: Thanks for sharing the steering sensor as the root cause of your DSC errors. Most DSC posts are about wheel speed sensors, reluctor rings & bearings, and ABS modules. The steering sensor rarely comes up - so it's a stronger link in the DSC chain.

For the rest of us, here's the JTIS diagram & pics of the steering sensor encircling the steering column (aka steering angle sensor, part # C2S4696). Not easy to replace - so thankful it seldom fails!

Attached Thumbnails My Goal, A code free X-Type-jagaur-x-type-steering-column.png   My Goal, A code free X-Type-jagaur-x-type-steering-angle-sensor_1.png   My Goal, A code free X-Type-jagaur-x-type-steering-angle-sensor.png  
Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Just what does it do?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:26 PM

Until reading Ken's post, I didn't know steering wheel angle is an important DSC input. But after reading Wikipedia's explanation, it's what our engineering professors used to call "intuitively obvious" :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...bility_control

"During normal driving, ESC (Electronic Stability Control, aka Dynamic Stability Control - DSC) works in the background and continuously monitors steering and vehicle direction. It compares the driver's intended direction (determined through the measured steering wheel angle) to the vehicle's actual direction (determined through measured lateral acceleration, vehicle rotation (yaw), and individual road wheel speeds).
ESC intervenes only when it detects a probable loss of steering control, i.e. when the vehicle is not going where the driver is steering. This may happen, for example, when skidding during emergency evasive swerves, understeer or oversteer during poorly judged turns on slippery roads, or hydroplaning. ESC may also intervene in an unwanted way during high-performance driving, because steering input may not always be directly indicative of the intended direction of travel (i.e. controlled drifting). ESC estimates the direction of the skid, and then applies the brakes to individual wheels asymmetrically in order to create torque about the vehicle's vertical axis, opposing the skid and bringing the vehicle back in line with the driver's commanded direction. Additionally, the system may reduce engine power or operate the transmission to slow the vehicle down."

Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well go figure that. I guess you CAN learn something new every day.