X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mom's X-Type with 14,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mom's X-Type with 14,000 miles!

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the forum and depending on the info given I may stay or not! My mother recently passed away and her 2005 X-Type was left to her estate. She was the original owner and the car only has 14,000 miles. Almost all service was done by Jaguar so the car has full service history. It is a 3.0, Black/Black with AWD. So the question is, should it stay or should it go? I love cars and have a classic Mustang which is first in line for any spare funds I may have so should I keep this car and daily drive it as my "snow car" or sell it to someone who can make it their first in line? It may not be appropriate to ask in this forum but what is the car really worth to someone who would want a low mile example like this? I go on Edmunds, etc. and the suggested prices are all over the place. Thanks for reading and hopefully commenting.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

They are nice cars. Low mileage examples are even nicer. However, even if you had an example that was a manual transmission, you will find the pool of potential buyers to be limited due to the age and the perception of Jaguar reliability (never mind that, as a general rule, the X seems to be quite reliable).

I've had two of them (both with the manual tranny) and, while I don't see snow and ice with the regularity that someone in the northeastern part of the country would, I found it to be quite capable on the occasions I did have to drive in Texas snow/ice. One of those trips was a few hours on the road heading north into the Dallas area on an evening that had both sleet and snow, with several inches of snow having accumulated by the time I reached my hotel.

The X-Type is not really ever going to be 'collectible' but is something that can be appreciated by some Jaguar fans. But given that you won't see much in the way of resale, I would easily recommend using it as your snow car if you didn't have something that otherwise filled that niche.

That being said...if it was a manual tranny, I am guessing you would find others besides me that would certainly have even greater interest

Old 03-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Keep it and enjoy it. The car is not worth much even with the low mileage. How much is it worth? As you found out, very difficult to say.

I think if you start to drive it on any kind of a regular basis you might actually enjoy it enough that it might not end up to be just a snow car. You have what is in a lot of ways a new car and it sounds like it was just driven often enogh to keep everything from deteriorating. By 2005 the cars were very reliable and if she always took it to the dealer I'm sure it is in great shape. For the few thousand it is worth you could never replace it with something comparable.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll buy your mom's old Jag if you do end up selling it.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I will chime in on this....I bought mine back in August of 2016 with only 15k on it. It was a 2002 3.0L AWD automatic. Mine was also what you would consider at car lot's as still "out of the wrapper" meaning mint condition...not one single thing out of place. Now if you look at Kelly Blue Book or try and compare on other sites, they can never calculate in that factor (out of the wrapper...mint...perfect). I could easily sell mine today and get at least 8k for it as it still only has 20k on it. When I bought it 2 years ago the asking price was 12.5k and I talked them down to 10k - and the same day I went to pick it up some guy offered them 13k for it but they honored their promise to me.

So there is my experience. If it is in mint condition and been garage kept it's whole life then you have a little gem on your hands. If your going to keep it then just change out all the fluids right out of the gate including the transfer case and transmission fluids because they do break down with age. Check all your vacuum hoses and more then likely replace your CC Breather hose with the upgraded ribbed one. Probably will want a new battery as well and might as well replace the fuel filter just for good measure. If your going to sell it and it is mint, I would ask 8k+ for it. Make sure you have the OBDII port read by a code reader first just to make sure all is ok so you can make an honest sale.

Good Luck

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 03-15-2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. The car is in very good condition but short of mint and out of the wrapper. If I am looking at a sale in the 8-10K range, then I would be more interested in selling it than keeping it. Any other input from anyone else who has purchased a low mile example like mine is appreciated so I can really understand what my next step is.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

If you want to sell it yourself I think it might be hard to find someone willing to pay $8K for it. You might get lucky, but it might take a while. How long would you want to wait for a buyer and also decide what the bottom line price is you will accept. Put it up on Craigslist or Autotrader and see how much initial interest you get and go from there.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisd123
Thanks for the replies. The car is in very good condition but short of mint and out of the wrapper. If I am looking at a sale in the 8-10K range, then I would be more interested in selling it than keeping it. Any other input from anyone else who has purchased a low mile example like mine is appreciated so I can really understand what my next step is.
I'd be interested to know you got 8-10k for it. Good car, low miles, but for that price? Good luck.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM

When you have a "mint condition - out of the wrapper" car, there is always someone who will want that and pay for it. Like I said, I paid 10k for mine and yet another guy came along willing to outbid me at 13k - so there ya go. If it is NOT in perfect mint condition then of course your not going to get 8k for it. You would then be looking into the 5k - 6k range but would still have to be in above average condition and not be throwing any codes. I see our X-Type listed for 5k all the time with 40-60k on the clock....just my 2 cents.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 03-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Just my 2¢, you have a gem. I agree that getting $10k + is POSSIBLE but really unlikely unless a buyer like many members here (history with the car) were looking for another one. Even then above $5k is going to be stretching. If I had it, I'd do the preventive maintenance as suggested and enjoy the hell out of it. I really do enjoy mine (bought 1 year ago).

Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys, I think I am going to keep it for a little while and as suggested, enjoy it. I am coming off 6+years driving a Grand Cherokee so it will be a welcome change in some speed relief! I'll probably do wheels and an exhaust right away to get a little more growl and maybe some small aesthetic changes. I'll try to post as I go. If anyone has any recommendations on the best cat back system to go with, that would be helpful. Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Good choice. I think you might come to enjoy the car.

For an exhaust, not a whole lot of options unless you want to do something custom. Simplest would be going with a Borla muffler or a set from Mina Gallery. You don't get any power gains, but the tone is a bit deeper, yet not very loud and obnoxious. Plus, the bigger tips look a lot nicer on the back of the car than stock. I think that fits in well with the character of the car.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Default Update

Hey, so here is an update on the X-Type. I had it detailed and the car shines brilliantly. There are some spots that would need some correction to be perfect but for a 12 year old car, it looks great. In the time that I have been driving it, I really like it a lot. I changed the air cleaner and put some good FI cleaner in it and I am now getting 24 MPG even with doing 70-75 MPG on the highway my whole trip to work. The car really allows you to feel that you are driving it, and its great. So I still haven't decided if I should sell it or keep it. (I'm a bit indecisive with things like this) so I guess I just want to see what a serious buyer would be willing to pay for the car so maybe that will make up my mind. I already have a 66 Mustang which takes up all of my attention and money so to spend anything on this car would only take away from my current toy. I do not want to put in on CL right now and deal with people looking for transportation. I want this car to be loved like i am growing to. Let me here from some of you. Thanks, I will try to post a few pics that I took right after the detailing.

Attached Thumbnails My mom's X-Type with 14,000 miles!-img_8110.jpg   My mom's X-Type with 14,000 miles!-img_8119.jpg   My mom's X-Type with 14,000 miles!-img_8116.jpg   My mom's X-Type with 14,000 miles!-img_8109_li.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks nice. I have a black on black 2003 X-Type for the last nine years, but she's getting up there at 92,000 miles. This is what she looked like when she was young.

I will buy it for $8k.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:23 AM

Vacuum them floors young man!!!! Would have looked sparkling then ;-) - LOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had a 2003 and 2007 as my daily driver and winter car.
X-types with their AWD all the time are a BEAST in the snow.
You could tow a truck with it through the snow and never spin a wheel.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

If you decide to sell it, please let me know! I would be very interested. Please send me an email if you want to sell.