X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mondeo is annoying me....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Mondeo is annoying me....

Hi, I have finally succumbed to joining a Jag forum (sigh), being a classic VW man it's a hard choice to make, especially when it's technically a Ford!

Anyway my other halves nan has given me her 39k mile 2.1 Jag for free, (as you do), and I have been sorting little bits on it over the last few weeks. Tyres, new headlamp lense, diag checks etc. I've worked in a garage for the last 3 years since I was 17 and am currently converting a Mk1 Golf to AWD, so I know my way around a car pretty well, but....!

One thing that is bugging me is the door ajar light. When i got the car the central locking didn't work, so i reprogrammed it and it now works, however only when unlocking. It won't lock on the key because the door ajar lamp is illuminated, thus it thinks a door is open. This is also why it beeps at me (at 3 in the freaking morning) because i supposedly left a door open!

I have opened each door in turn and closed the latches by hand until they latch, the interior light goes out until i release it again and the interior light comes on again, but the door ajar lamp remains on. I did the same with the boot lock and again the boot light will turn off when i close the latch, so all the switches must be working. I also disconnected the bonnet switch which in theory would make sure no circuit could be made, but the light still stays on! What could it be?! All the switches work as they should, so I'm hoping it isn't going to be a computer fault as I don't really want to be spending any money except for the cosmetic jobs and few other little niggles.

Any help is welcomed as It's driving me mad!

Jack

Old 03-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Perform a search of this forum as this topic has been covered previously. Quite often the boot lid is not fully closing and making contact with the switch resulting in the conditions you describe.

Check each door switch making sure it contacts the door to sense it is fully closed.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I have finally succumbed to joining a Jag forum man it's a hard choice to make, especially when it's technically a Ford
I've worked in a garage for the last 3 years since I was 17
Welcome to the forum.
By now you should be aware that an X type is approx twenty per cent Ford so do not believe all the rubbish you read in the comics.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Perform a search of this forum as this topic has been covered previously. Quite often the boot lid is not fully closing and making contact with the switch resulting in the conditions you describe.

Check each door switch making sure it contacts the door to sense it is fully closed.
I mentioned above that this is not the case, i manually have closed the switch all the way and the boot light goes out as it should, so unless there are two switches, it must be something else :/

Old 03-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Since you think you are driving a Ford, perhaps you are on the wrong Forum? The X-Type is not a Ford any more than a Bentley is a VW (and yes, they do share some components, just as the X-Type shared some components with the Mondeo but very few knowledgeable people would confuse a Bentley for a Golf...likewise people who know Jaguars will also not confuse the X-Type with a Mondeo. That error is left to automobile journalists and those who believe them.).
But, your problem: in the ignition switch there is a spring-loaded gate which is supposed to slide into place when the key is removed. Occasionally this sticks; if so, the car will not lock. Put a good lock lubricant on the key and insert and remove it several times until you can hear that gate snap in place when the key is removed.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

j4cko56, if for some reason the above stuff doesn't help and you want to get into the wiring side of things, let me know. I have all the diagrams and can give you some point to point checks to make to figure out which door is giving you your problems. If you choose this path, I need to know the year of your vehicle to make sure I have the most accurate drawings possible. If by chance the vehicle is an 04, having the build month/year (written in the driver's door jam) will be needed as there were wiring changes made between March and April 2004. Slight changes, but enough that it can really run you astray.

The following users liked this post:
j4cko56 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Since you think you are driving a Ford, perhaps you are on the wrong Forum? The X-Type is not a Ford any more than a Bentley is a VW (and yes, they do share some components, just as the X-Type shared some components with the Mondeo but very few knowledgeable people would confuse a Bentley for a Golf...likewise people who know Jaguars will also not confuse the X-Type with a Mondeo. That error is left to automobile journalists and those who believe them.).
But, your problem: in the ignition switch there is a spring-loaded gate which is supposed to slide into place when the key is removed. Occasionally this sticks; if so, the car will not lock. Put a good lock lubricant on the key and insert and remove it several times until you can hear that gate snap in place when the key is removed.
Don't worry it's only a bit of light hearted humour I'm also aware of Bentleys ties with the VAG group, even if they do use 2 VR6s to make a W12

I'm pretty sure this does lock, because I can feel it latch when the key goes in and out of the lock, I can see that this would stop the central locking, but the door ajar light is always on regardless of the key being in or out of the lock. So I would say that is the more important issue, even if the ign gate does stick, which I'm not sure it does. Could the boot lock still be at fault if it is turning the boot light on and off?

Jack

Old 03-17-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
j4cko56, if for some reason the above stuff doesn't help and you want to get into the wiring side of things, let me know. I have all the diagrams and can give you some point to point checks to make to figure out which door is giving you your problems. If you choose this path, I need to know the year of your vehicle to make sure I have the most accurate drawings possible. If by chance the vehicle is an 04, having the build month/year (written in the driver's door jam) will be needed as there were wiring changes made between March and April 2004. Slight changes, but enough that it can really run you astray.
Thanks Thermo, I have a feeling I'm going to need to go that way, none of the mechanical lock tests have got me anywhere so far! It's a 2002 (52 plate) 2.1 saloon, so at least it will be easier to work out which diagrams!

Jack

Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

j4cko56, if you want the diagrams, PM me your e-mail addy and I will send you the diagrams. I am sure if you have even some electronic knowledge, you will be able to go through the diagrams with very little problem.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

The X Type is more Lincoln than Ford. The V6 shares part #s with Lincoln parts.