X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need wheel help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wheel help!!!

Hello All, i'm a new member here and I joined this site in hopes of finding out some information on trying to fix my Aunt's X-type. I'm all over internet forums under the same user name and my personal cars consist of a 2001 Procharged Corvette Z06, and '90 LX Coupe Mustang with a 347 stroker motor. Anyways, she had previously owned a 2003 2.5L X-type without a single problem, unfortunately a couple months ago she had an problem with a gaurd rail and totaled her car. About a month ago she bought a 2004 3.0 X-Type Sport model and one of the HID headlights quit working. After reading and searching on this site, it seems like the likely culprit is a bad ballast, which looks like it will require me (I fix all her cars for her, haha) to take the front bumper off in order to propertly fix her drivers side headlights (it also has moisture in the lens and I was going to take them off and dry them out for her). That's not the major issue.

This problem is, she woke up Saturday morning with a flat, and it wouldn't pump back up. The previous owner just put 4 brand new tires on the car just a few weeks before selling it. After taking it to a tire place they found out the car had a bad rim, and it was cracked in two places on the inside lip causing it to leak, and said another wheel was in just as bad shape. They are the 18x7.5 "Aruba" Style wheel. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND AT LEAST TWO REPLACEMENT WHEELS??????? I have called dozens of online places and no one has them in stock. I found a chromed set on Ebay for $2,000 but that it WAY out of her budget. She was wanting to just replace the two bad wheels and use her good tires but would buy a complete set if needed. Would possibly consider aftermarket wheels if worst comes to worst. Any help or suggestions?

Anyone have a set of these wheels for sale? Please let me know! My email is cdamron@live.com

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Unless you buy them new from a dealer, used ones are VERY hard to find. I know, I have those wheels and I had one that was bent that I knew was living on borrowed time. There are a ton of places on-line that advertise them refurbished (and after a while I got the impression that most of those places were all one place with different names), but they only seem to have one available when they happen to get their hands on them, which isn't often. YOu just have to keep calling and asking until you get lucky. There aren't that many X-Types with those wheels to begin with, so there was never a big pool available to get to the seconadary market. So, either keep digging and checking E-Bay and Craigslist for some at a decent price, or bite the bullet and get them from a dealer. I saw someone was selling a full set on E-Bay with tires mounted for $1550. Good luck. I know what you are going through.

Love the way they look though.............

Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 PM

I have been using TireRack for all my tires/wheels needs.

If you are OK with non-OE wheels, they have a quite good selection of reasonably priced models you can chose from.

You can "try them on" to see how they look. Input car make, year, model, then filter the options - I suggest by weight. They have light wheels for your aunt's cars priced as low as $129 each.

Here is the URL with the filters for a 2004 3.0 Sport model...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...&filterNew=All

- Sandro

Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Been lookin at other wheel options for her as that actually seems like it will be the quickest and cheapest to get her back on the road. The tires she has are 225/40/18, and she wants to stay with a 18" wheel because she likes the way it looks compared to her old X-type that had 16" wheels. I found a set of Voxx MG3 Wheels that are 18x8, 5x108mm bolt pattern, and +40mm offset for $144 a wheel. Will these work?

Anyone possibly have any pictures of these wheels? Hmm..... They resemble my CCW 505a's that I have on my Corvette in a way!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW...item2c52d95c23

Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM

I went ahead and ordered those 18" Voxx MG3 wheels. After researching the offset and bolt patterns on this site, I believe they will fit just fine with a 225/40/18 tire. Let's hope so anyways!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

With that tire size, those wheels should work fine. Only problems may be with hub centering rings (which i hope they supplied) being a good tight fit.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

try www.jerryswheels.com - they have them listed for $159 each.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

What are you going to do with the old wheels? Are they in good condition?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM

If we have no problems with these new wheels I'd say I will sell them to help her recoupe some of the money she's had to spend. They will be delivered today, and hopefully will have them on the car sometime tomorrow.
One of the wheels is cracked so bad it will not hold air. The other one is showing cracks but holds air. The other two are in good shape from on the car visual inspection, I have not taken them off the car and looked at them up close. She has red Jaguar centercaps as well.
From the going prices of these wheels on the internet they might as well be made of gold, even cracked ones on ebay. I'd say $500 for all four wheels + shipping is a very fair price granted at least that the other two are in great shape. I'd like to sell them all four together, you can easily get the cracked wheels fixed if you had the means to do it I would think.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the first gen Voxx MG's, they do require a hub spacer, which was supplied free with the wheels from Discount Tire Direct. They have held up quite well, no complaints with the quality of the wheels.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM

The new wheels fit just fine, and I think look awesome. Three of her wheels were in good shape, but one of those wheels has a very slightly bent lip. The 4th wheel has two cracks in it that can be easily fixed I would imagine.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Long story, but I have the Voxx Wheels up for sale now. They were delivered to me Monday (yes, two days ago) and I had them put on my Aunt's Jaguar X-type Monday to replace her stock rims cause she hit a pot hole and busted two of them. All four of these were cheaper than buying two OEM rims, and the same price as buying two used ones (i'm not kidding). At first, she liked pictures on the internet, but today she decided that she didn't like these on the car (personally, I think they look freaking awesome and better than the stock rims) and since I had tires mounted on them they wil not return them. I paid $600 shipped to the house, plus lug nuts and chrome valve stems. I have two refurb Jaguar rims on order and these will be off the car once they are delivered (I would assume in about a week or so.)
I will take all four RIMS ONLY, locking lugnut set (12mm x 1.5 I believe), hubcentric rings, and chrome valve stems (already installed obviously) for $550 cash money picked up or plus shipping. These are 18x8, 5x108mm bolt pattern, +40mm offset and fit Jaguar X-Type/S-Type, Ford Taurus, and Lincoln LS vehicles. I personally think that they looked great on her X-type. Rims are PERFECT, by the time they are swapped out they will have just a couple hundred miles on them. Wheels were static balanced, meaning hammer weights on the inside lip only.
Here is what they look like. These are honeslty a CCW 505a knockoff. They look identical (shape/design) to my front wheel on my Corvette (18") minus being polished obviously.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Why in gawd's green earth did she not like them? They look very nice to me anyway.

It may help to add your location to your profile so we can see where you are, or at least which country or state and that might help you get rid of them.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM

I have no idea, she said she likes the "Jaguar" centercap better, and said these looked to stick out more (they actually don't, it's because these wheels have a lip). It must be a woman thing.

I am located in Eastern Kentucky.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Shadrack, why not pull the center caps off of the Jag wheels and put them on the new rims. If that is all that is upsetting her, I bet you will find out that the caps will fit. Worst case, there are some nicer center caps on E-bay for like $40 that are polished and have a raised face leaper on them. Take a look and see what happens.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Stock centercaps won't fit, I already tried. The Voxx centerbore is bigger than the Jaguar centercap bore and will not snap into place.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Shadrack, maybe you could find a Jaguar logo or Leaper decal or sticker and kind of make your own center cap. I did a quick internet search, but couldn't find one , but maybe if you check more thoroughly you might come across something you could make work. Be a shame to get rid of those wheels after all the work you put into this project.

While searching I came across something I had never seen before. Might look interesting: http://www.highgatehouse.co.uk/Jaguar%20Wheel.htm

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I have been dealing with them .Their products are amazing .I did put some decals on my headrests still no wear tear .