X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner just got warning lights and limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner just got warning lights and limp mode

X Type 2006 estate 2.2d Sport. I parked up today. When I returned to the car on a hill got in drove off and the breaks really creaked under foot I felt it in the peddle. The DSC fault light, ABS fault light and the little orange coil light all came on and car went into limp? Any ideas what this little cocktail of lights may indicate? I have only had the car 2 weeks..it is under warranty but want to go in fore armed..your help would be welcomed. Cheers patrick

Old 02-06-2015, 12:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Paddyt, from what you describe, you have a bad wheel speed sensor. i would say to get the codes read from the computer and see what you get. I bet you are going to find out that you have one of the following codes: C1145, C1155, C1165, and/or C1175. With this being said, you don't mention your speedo failing to zero. If your speedo will not come off zero, then this would be a sign of either a bad ABS module or 2 (or more) wheel speed sensors being failed at the same time.

The codes will tell us a lot. So, please get them read and post what code(s) you got. THis will help us out a lot. I am kinda shooting at the dark since there are a lot of possibilities at this point based on what I know from your description.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Default Thermo

thank you kindly for your response. The speedo was working for sure as I was checking my speed on the way home (worried naturally with a break warning light present). The glow plug light was flashing all the way home too and they all came on in the same incident. Car is booked in for Tuesday 10th Feb and I will ask mechanic for codes. Thank you once again for your swift comprehensive and helpful reply .

Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

Paddyt, if your glow light is flashing with the engine running, then this is making me think something different. Because you are having the glow plug light flashing too, this may be more a CAN bus issue going to the instrument cluster or a problem with the instrument cluster itself. Get the codes read and go from there.

I guess I missed the meaning of the orange coil light and what that meant. Not used to having to deal with diesel X-Types (don't have them here in the US). Granted, could be a wheel speed sensor issue still though.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Default Can BUS?

could you enlighten me little? The The break light (red one) comes on now aswell?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Default sorry to ask more

every time I get in the car..all the warning lights do not always come on immediately. But after a minute they are all on and as soon as I press the brake before it enters limp mode it makes a creeking noise and I feel a little judder in the break. It then enters limp and that creeking goes away.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Paddyt, at this point, there are too many things that it can possibly be. The codes from a reader will definitely help narrow things down.

Have you tried pulling the codes out of the instrument cluster? That may help me give you more specific information as to what is going on here. If you don't know how to do that, let me know. It is easy to do. post the codes where and I will decipher them and hopefully that will tell me something more specific to what is happening.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Default Hi Thermo

thanks again for your time and consideration. I do not know how to pull codes. Can I do it without special equipment? Hows it done? It is booked in for Tuesday at a garage for diagnostic.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Default Update

this is not going to be very helpful as my local garage were not that helpful.

The did a diagnostic and said all 4 abs were not responding. They said they doubt all 4 abs would fail at the same time so I need to see a Jag expert. I know this sounds unhelpful but they forgot to write codes down. I have known them for years and they do not charge me for diagnostic or the this visit.

Interestingly my xenon dip light failed before I dropped the car off I asked them to change bulb which they did and it did not work even with new bulb..so the story continues. I hear Ross Macleod at Mulsanne Motors is my best bet. But I think as the car is 2 weeks old (to me) its going back to the dealer..unless you have another idea that has come out of this..sorry I did not get the codes.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

If you are having an issue with all 4 ABS sensors, then that is telling me you have an issue with the ABS module, not the wheel sensors. For ease, I would say to take it back to the dealer and see what they say.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Default Update

Garage replaced 1 x abs sensor..problem solved..did not get codes it called up. Everything working fine.

On another note. I saw and parked next to anoth car exactly the same as mine today in the city. 2 cars in that part of car park. Mine and his/hers. Same year, spec, and model exactly.

When I came back that car was gone as was a small protective cap of sorts that sits at the front of the car by the headlights near the grill. There is one either side of each headlight..well there was..mine left one is now gone (presumably fitted to the car that was parked next to me). I am awaiting cctv ..but out of interest in the meantime was is this part for..headlamp cleaning it has a spinny bit behind it which is hidden by the cover that has now been removed. Police called all logged and the idiot will get a knock from the scuffers but I want to know what it is I am missing..It looks like a semi circular press in cover..like I say one on each side. PS If the owner is reading this and feels a spot of guilt contact me and I will call the police off..I had your plate number as I was astonished by the similarity (oh and the sports centre had cams seeing you leave)..any help appreciated

Last edited by Paddyt; 02-21-2015 at 08:00 PM.