X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie X-type Shopping Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie X-type Shopping Questions

Hi Guys, I'm considering buying an X-type, have some questions. Hopefully these haven't been answered too many times. I've been trying to read through old threads but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm looking at an X-type because I like the way they look, and I'm looking for a sport-luxury car. I've currently got a 2004 Land Rover Discovery which I love and will be keeping. I do all my own work on my cars, including changing the Disco over to a 5 speed manual. I also have a 2001 Focus which I've turbocharged, LSD, Wilwood brakes, etc. That's my trackday car, the truck is a pretty hard-core off-roader. I'm looking for a daily driver.

I'm a pretty sporty driver, I like European style handling but not in an overly stiff suspension. I've had a Subaru WRX in the past, that was a great car, but the turbo lag was attrocious. I strongly prefer a manual trans, but I can deal with an auto if it has decent power.

My ideal car would be a 3.0L 5 speed Sport package, but I imagine these are rare. I really like wagons generally, but I'm not sure if I want the wagon in this case... I already have an SUV and a minivan, so I can probably live with a sedan.

I think I would prefer the Viscous transfer case, but I'm not sure. Generally speaking, an older car will be cheaper and have the viscous, but since I live in Canada, I'm pretty worried about the rust issue.

1. What was the last year of the manual transmission availability?

2. What was the last year of the Viscous LSD transfer case? I believe 2004 is what I read, but was it available in 2004, or 2004 was the first year it wasn't available?

3. How annoying is the electronic traction control? I like the system in my Land Rover, because it only brakes the spinning wheels, and NEVER cuts engine power. I had a 2006 Focus and it drove me insane because it cuts engine power first, and then, sometimes, maybe, it brakes the spinning wheel. Pulling out into traffic on a snowy road was always a frustrating experience.

4. Can the ETC be turned off? And, is off reall off, or just reduced sensitivity?

5. How do I know for sure if a car has the VDC? I'm looking at a 2006, and it has a button on the console, looks like a car with swervy lines behind it. Is that VDC or ETC?

6. How is the VDC? I have a 2003 Focus with AdvanceTrac (VDC) and find it pretty amazing. It's traction control functionality is 50% less annoying than the ETC on my 2006. It never intervenes prematurely.

7. How reliable are the auto trans? And what type are they exactly? I see a number of posts about transmission faults.

8. I'm pretty familiar with the MTX-75 from it's use in the Focus. It's pretty much bulletproof in that application, shifting isn't great, but I live with it. Any problems with this trans in the Jag?

9. Is there any way to find out how bad the rust is if I can't see anything outside yet? Should I just suck it up and take a late model 3.0L Auto if it means I can shoot rust-proofing in the sills and prevent it? I'd hate to buy a 2002-4 to get the viscous, and then have to throw it out because of rust. I am pretty wary of driving around in a rust-compromised car.

10. Is the viscous transfercase worth having? Or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Oh, couple things I forgot:

11. What is the smallest wheel size I can get on it? I'm thinking for winter tires. I'd like to run 16's. TireRack's wheel selector seems to show a 16" wheel will fit on the earlier cars, but when I tried for a 2006, it only shows down to a 17" wheel. Was there a brake change?

12. With the Land Rover, I find there is a massive and sophisticated home-repair network in the UK. You can get any part you want at reasonable prices by mail ordering from the UK. Is the same true for Jag's? Overall, it seems like more people still repair their own cars in the UK compared to here.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had a couple of Discoveries. The Jag is not similar. Although the brakes are easy to do, I've only had to do a couple of little things and they were fairly simple but the Discovery was by far easier to work on. Not sure about the transfer case and viscouse coupling, it's pretty seemless AWD though, I never notice it, very predictable as is the ETC, it is the little button, I've cranked into corners pretty hard on moist pavement and didn't notice it so I think it's not using the engine rather braking the spinning wheel. I've got a sport package and you likely wouldn't like the ride, mine is a 04, I put 16s on for winter tires and don't have a fitment issue. I'm not aware of larger brakes later so 16s will fit.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Let me start by saying that if you are after a sporty car, the X-Type is not what I would be looking for. Based on your vehicles and taking a guess as to how you drive, the X-Type is going to be a fairly expensive ride for you due to more than likely suffering from numerous transfer case problems (the cases tend to crack, resulting in having to buy a new transfer case to the tune of about $3000). I am not wanting to steer you away, but you sound like someone that likes to play and accelerate. The X-Types do not like that. Besides, at only 200 hp (227 for the 05+ years), I think you might find it a little lacking. I'm just being honest here. There are no known upgrades for the transfer case, so, putting in something aftermarket to make it "bulletproof" has not been found yet. You want to try, go for it.

I think you may find something along the lines of the XJ will be more like what you are wanting. Lots more power, much more reliable under hard use, much nicer ride than the X-Type and if you know where to look, you can pick them up for a few thousand more than an X-Type. Had I known this, I would be driving an XJ, not an X-Type.

If you want me to get into the other questions you asked, I will gladly dive into them. But, I have a feeling after what I typed above, they may seem like trivia things at this point.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree with Thermo, sounds like you'd be maybe better off with something else in all honesty. Although sounds of it and being in Ontario I'm guessing AWD is appealing to you. So if you do decide to go with the X, maybe adjust your sporty driving habits a bit to focus more on handling than acceleration. The X will carve corners nicely. The motor is quite willing, the auto trans not so much. Manual would be great.

Check edmunds.com for most of your questions for which year things start and end. It's been awhile and I can't quite remember all the answers...I think 02 through mid year 2004 had the viscous coupler, so you could get a 2004 and get either version.

I believe last year for manual in the US was 2005, not sure about Canada.

The button on the console is for the DSC - stability control. I don't have it, can't comment. I like the fact that there is no intervention on my 2002 in the snow. Grip is fantastic with proper tires. I believe 16" rims will fit all model years.

If you pummel the auto trans, it will pummel your wallet.

There is very little in the way of aftermarket support for bolt on stuff. Any mods you want will probably require one-off customization to some degree.

Rust is a tough one. Closely examine the a-pillars where the front doors bolt up, and then the underbody right under the sills. Any rust at all coming through the paint on the a pillar and it's a sure bet you've got it all through that part of the frame. Walk away. Read the rust thread and you'll get some tips.

Good luck on your search.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Hmmm... I think you guys might have nailed it.

Truth be told, I'm not positive what I want right now. I like sporty cars, but I already have one hellacious trackday car. I don't need two. I wouldn't mod this one. I'm getting older, and a bit of luxury appeals to me. It would be a daily driver. I'm sure I could take it easy if I knew I had to. I'm kind of conflicted here. I thought the X-type would offer me both, some sporty driving, and some luxury. I really really love the looks of the car, inside and out. But the rust thing, and now this transfer case issue do scare me.

Yesterday I test drove a 2006 Sport package, black on black. What a beautiful car! Honestly, I did find the suspension overly stiff for the intended use of the car. I decided if I was to get one, I'd get a non-sport. Problem is I don't like the wheels on the non-sport. It did have VDC. One strange thing I noticed. Full throttle acceleration from a stop while turning at an intersection, there was a clicking noise. At first I thought it was the VDC operation or something, so I shut it off, but the noise persisted. Maybe it was the transfer case splitting?

If I got one of these, I'd go into it knowing (now) not to do things like that.

Other things I've been looking at are an Impreza non-turbo, Volvo S40 T5, and Land Rover LR2.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

It's tought to not consider the X just on good looks alone. You don't see them as often as the ubiquitous 3 series around here. Timeless design really, at least IMHO i appreciate the retro-ish styling cues. It will always turn heads. None of your other considerations will do that. Luxury can be in the eye of the beholder, some will say the X is a bit short on it from a functional perspective, and I kind of agree. However most occupants in my X have been impressed anyway.

Sounds like you are about in the same boat I am. I have my toys, this is my daily driver. I like to drive quickly but not stupid fast everywhere. The X dices up traffic without too much drama. Gets me around in any weather and is just fun. I'll admit I'm on tranny #2 and transfer case #2, but I do have a first year model.

Is it the grown up decision to get one? meh, probably not. Never stopped me before though.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM

Yeah you know, it's funny... I was looking at this black on black car, and thinking to myself. My sister is getting married next year. I wonder if she'd want to save some money on the limo, and I could drop her or her fiance off at the church in the black Jag instead.

You wouldn't even consider that in nearly any other car.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lefebvre, if you like the styling of the X-Type, then the XJ8 is right up your alley. The two cars have almost the same styling (the X-Type was designed around looking like an XJ). Besides, I think they would be more interested in showing up in a black XJ than a black X-Type. But, that is just me.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

But with the XJ you give up AWD, not sure if that's a must have on your list being in Canada and all. And you can get an X type much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I love the XJ and was looking at an XJR last week, but kinda apples and oranges if you ask me.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Backing up a bit, I believe it was only 02 and 03 MYs with the viscous TC. You would be so wrong to get a local car in those years because you will likely have rust, visible or hidden from a number of Ontario winters. Get a southern car (Arizona, Texas, etc) if you go that way and bring her back home.